Recommend a set of 6 (7) Klipsch cst -5800 in ceilings or Pro-180 in ceiling speakers?

Dabrry0523

Hello, I was just wanted to get your opinion, on which way I should go. So I am building my first home theater, and I am looking at buying cdt-5800 in ceiling speakers, or the pro-180, in ceiling speakers. These will be paired up with 1 RC-64 iii, and 2 RF-7 iii’s with rp-600m, for bookshelf’s, and the rp-502s for surrounds. Right now I have 2 of each of those or 4 speakers, but I will probably make the decision to only use either 2, or 3 sets of those speakers… but I am not sure yet. I will have to wait to get the room set up, before I make my final decision. Which will take some time… but my plan is to put a full 6 Atmos in ceiling speakers, with 1 voice of god, for future proofing the system for auro-3D and other sound formats like that. So I am just, trying to figure out which path makes the most sense… I also want to say, we have got 7 5800’s right now, but I am willing to return those, if enough people think the pro-180’s are worth the cost… to go along with the rf line of speakers.

• Like 1

The PRO-180-RPC sounds better in terms of smoothness.  It's not as bright and the drivers blend better.  It also installs easier, which was the whole point of them.  Some people still want the CDT's because they can be aimed.  Personally I think that functionality is overrated but it's important to a lot of people, that's something you'll have to decide.  But yes the CDT's are brighter / harsher.  Personally I don't like listening to them unless I can flip the tweeter attenuation switch on them which pulls the tweeter back 3 db.  They're still a little bright and piercing if that tweeter is aimed right at your head, not sure why that is something everybody wants to do.  

On 9/21/2021 at 8:35 AM, Paducah Home Theater said:

The PRO-180-RPC sounds better in terms of smoothness.  It's not as bright and the drivers blend better.  It also installs easier, which was the whole point of them.  Some people still want the CDT's because they can be aimed.  Personally I think that functionality is overrated but it's important to a lot of people, that's something you'll have to decide.  But yes the CDT's are brighter / harsher.  Personally I don't like listening to them unless I can flip the tweeter attenuation switch on them which pulls the tweeter back 3 db.  They're still a little bright and piercing if that tweeter is aimed right at your head, not sure why that is something everybody wants to do.  

Hmm okay, interesting, I will have to think about that, but I think I will stick with what I have, which is the cdt-5800… unless I end up majorly not liking them…

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Get the PRO-180RPC LCR's and those can be aimed at the MLP. The PRO-180's are a better speaker, all around.

That being said, if you're just using them as in-ceiling Atmos speakers, then the 5800's would be just fine. A comment earlier said they were bright/harsh, but that opinion is irrelevant if you're just using them in a HT setup, where they won't even be that active like your LCR.