YouTube TV.....

SWL

Anyone here using it? What are your impressions?

We're giving it a trial. We have Spectrum right now for cable/internet and the prices have gone completely crazy. We're done with this BS.

So far YouTube TV seems just 'ok' in comparison. I'm not really digging how navigating the menu works and since we're used to having all our programming in 4k, 1080 kinda falls flat but it's something we can certainly get used to. We'll be saving a good chunk of change anually and we're not huge TV or movie watchers anyway.

Thanks for any input!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ive been using for a couple years after cutting the cable (not the internet cable unfortunately).

I am very happy... started out at 40 month but now its gone up to 60 month... still much better than my local cable company.

unlimited storage on content. I get mainly 720p... with some arriving at 1080p. I suspect that is broadcast limitations and not youtube limitations as I have blazing fast internet.

the interface is really basic, but that is what I am paying for. one thing it can not do that cable can do is 'last channel' selection unless you happen to be in a 'favorites' menu... that isnt a big deal, it just makes it difficult to switch back and fourth.

truth be told... I spend more time watching youtube than I do youtubeTV

• Like 4

We have fast internet and so far it's been working really well.....just slightly different than what we're used to as far as the guide and navigating.

We're paying $68.00 a month.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's exactly what we were paying for cable and internet. Now we're paying $70.00/month for high speed internet plus YouTube TV for a total of around $150/month with taxes.

truth be told... I spend more time watching youtube than I do youtubeTV

In the last year or so we've gravitated towards watching more things on YouTube. As far as our cable, we've got something like 5 million channels available and we normally watch about 10 of them on a normal basis. If we watch a movie it's from Prime.

Do you depend on local news/weather? Would you say that it's reliable on YouTube TV? That's one of our main concerns.

13 hours ago, SWL said:

We have Spectrum right now for cable/internet and the prices have gone completely crazy.

We just have the Spectrum TV Choice app(24.99) and are more than satisfied.  We had Dish since 1999 with 250+ channels and were quite skeptical going to 15 selected channels plus locals(extra) and about 30 "fluff" channels.  We found the phone apps to be pretty stable as well as with the Roku and Samsung TV apps.

Bill

• Like 1

I used youtube the last time they carried the regional sports networks for the NHL where I was. They did go up ten bucks last year, and ytTV did use more bandwidth than hulu? I think it was that had the NHL the year prior. Each of the three years I had to change providers because they would dump the RSNs and I followed my team. Fubo was the other I used and I liked their gui the best. YTTV wouldn't let me specify to record a series (only the new episodes) so I'd record four of the same episode daily sometimes and could not delete them from my interface. That was one gripe but I'd go beck to them in a heartbeat!

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

There are probably 80,000 channels of free content out there in the streaming world.  Unless you just must have a paid subscription because you can't live without certain programming, I don't see why anyone would spend a dime subscribing to TV content.

I can comprehend.

1.   With following your ice hockey in the southeast USA there isn't another way. So I followed Fox Sports South & Southeast each season!

2.  Not having a separate dvr, even less than a hundred hours permitted by the carrier is helpful to catch stuff when you aren't going to be there.

Last weekend went pretty good with NFL Sunday with YouTube TV. Some observations:

As far as live sports, 4K is better than 1080p or 720p. Regular programming I could go either way but 1080p is actually easier on my eyes. 4K whites can be blinding even after tweaking the settings.

Not having a last channel button sucks.

Still getting used to navigating the menu but the more I use it the more I'm starting to like it.

Still need to figger out how to save/record only new episodes rather than all of them.

It seems that with the search function you can pretty much watch whatever you want, whenever you want.

We haven't canceled our cable just yet. After we cancel it we're planning on keeping just their same high speed internet. I'm curious to see if the speed changes/gets slower.

Been using it for a couple years now and very satisfied. I mainly got it to cut the cord, have a good selection of sports channels and the ability to share with 2 other family members. I also travel a lot so it is nice to be able to watch TV from anywhere that I have an internet connection.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SWL said:

Oh and another thing to get used to.....no channel numbers! You can't just punch in channel 612 and go to it. You have to scroll up or down to get to it. This blows.

you can bundle your favorite channels towards the top of the list very easily... but that is the one aspect, along with last channel, that I dont like either... but its not a deal killer for me. Just drag and drop to the new position... which I like much better than cable.

AKA Cheap alternative.

• Like 1

you can bundle your favorite channels towards the top of the list very easily... but that is the one aspect, along with last channel, that I dont like either... but its not a deal killer for me. Just drag and drop to the new position... which I like much better than cable.
AKA Cheap alternative.
Yeah, that's what we did. It'll just take a little while to get used to it.