Heresy III midrange distortion

chn68b

I've just managed to locate the source of a distortion coming from one of my Heresy 3 speakers as the midrange driver. On inspection its a K53ti which I can't seem to locate in the UK, so its looking like I'll need to get one sent over the pond.

How common is this problem? I'm a little disappointed to be honest, these are 3 year old speakers, not an insignificant sum and were bought to replace an apparently fragile speaker in the classic Spendor BC1. Ive been driving them with a 6 watt valve amp, but never going as far as halfway and was under the impression that valve amps are a safer bet than solid state? I bought these as I imagined they would be good solid speakers. Half of the frustration is the delay in getting it sorted as I listen to music almost everyday, and getting something shipped over is probably going to take a while,  but the main annoyance is that these were a significant financial commitment to me over previous hifi gear expenditure. I thought i was buying the toyota hilux of speakers.

If anyones reading this in the UK, can you recommend a supplier as my search so far has given me nothing.

Contacting tech support at Klipsch has been difficult due to the pandemic. Did you get these from a dealer? If so, have you contacted them to see what can be worked out?

Have you verified it is actually the driver and not something else in the cabinet that is vibrating at a certain frequency. It has certainly happened before. I remember someone had a wire vibrating against a horn, and it wasn't always noticeable.

The Heritage series are pretty durable and long lasting, but certainly not impossible for something to go wrong.

Just some thoughts.

Bruce

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies. I took the driver and the attached horn out and played the music without, and the distortion was gone, so its definitely the mid driver. The horn is tight on the driver so that can be eliminated I think?

I bought these used from a dealer about a year ago. The driver is dated 2017. Is the guarantee transferrable I wonder? I'll investigate now.

Perhaps the diaphragm position needs to be adjusted slightly on your midrange driver inside. I had this issue when I installed titanium diaphragms in a pair of those drivers. Unbolt or unscrew the horn from the driver, loosen the screws to the diaphragm, adjust it around slightly till you don't hear the distortion. It may not be aligned correctly. 

3 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

Perhaps the diaphragm position needs to be adjusted slightly on your midrange driver inside. I had this issue when I installed titanium diaphragms in a pair of those drivers. Unbolt or unscrew the horn from the driver, loosen the screws to the diaphragm, adjust it around slightly till you don't hear the distortion. It may not be aligned correctly. 

This has been fine until recently, so I think it was aligned correctly, unless it can potentially move? I'll try this tomorrow if thats the case, cheers.

-the warranty  does not transfer  to a 2nd owner -

-however , if the speakers were never registered except to the current owner , the warranty applies -

-klipsch mids drivers do not  fail , but diaphragms do fail if overloaded-

Great news, I've dismantled the driver, given it all a blow out with air and put it back together and so far its fine. Hopefully thats it. 

I emailed Henley Audio and they're contacting klipsch, so I'll let them know irs all now okay. 

Happy again, thanks for all of the advice, much appreciated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chn68b said:

Great news, I've dismantled the driver, given it all a blow out with air and put it back together and so far its fine. Hopefully thats it. 

To be honest, I was almost going to say it's damn near impossible to blow out a midrange and not the tweeters also (in this type of speaker, not abused pro gear). Even if the tweeters blew out, it would be VERY unlikely unless clipping the hell out of amp into a square wave and leaving it like so.   Glad you got it working. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...