K-402 replacement

Hilltoppa

56 minutes ago, Racer X said:

I recently picked up JBL 2380 horn copy, very happy with the jump to 2" horn throat and drivers

Racer, thanks. Have a set of JBL 2385 (think the are the same as your 2380's but with a narrower angle) with 2" JBL 2446H drivers to experiment with. And, have K-510's with 2" drivers :)  and yes; very pleased with 2" exit drivers :) 

But ... wanted to go "bigger (horn-wise)" but cannot fit K-402's in my setup. So; was glad @Marvel mentioned the JBL 2374 horn. But, now searching for 1-1/2" drivers as I'm pretty sure one cannot use 2" drivers on these horns :( 

On 9/25/2021 at 2:46 PM, NBPK402 said:

Cory has some Jubilees on FB, and I swear he listed some k402s the other day.

Goodness where do I start with this thread as a whole.  

1. Cory HAD some Jubilees on Facebook.  The veneered ones are all sold at this point, sold my last two pair on the same day on Sunday.  I have a pair of new black factory sealed ones available.  Was going to split them up but at this point I'm not interested as I will be stuck with an orphan forever.  That's it, other than the original factory prototypes of the new style from 2009.  

2. Yes I have some 402's available, but, those are the entire assemblies.  That's the stands, horns, and compression drivers, not just the lens.  I've had multiple people contact me about the lens but that's not the case.  Literally everybody at Klipsch including Roy has said that it's perfectly fine to sell these assemblies by themselves since it's a standalone product with a Klipsch serial number so I'm not being shy about offering those for sale.  Yes I have the assemblies.  Yes you are free to buy them by themselves.  No I don't have just the lens.  

3. Since believe it or not I can sense judgmental disdain, or at the minimum I feel that an explanation is warranted since that screenshot is now public... Klipsch customer support told me directly that I can offer individual upgrade parts from the Forte 4 to Forte 3 customers.  They weren't advertising it as  kit but I can order the parts individually.  I got about two "kits" out the door before a Klipsch employee saw it and started hollering about it being unauthorized.  As of now I have to halt selling these, perhaps while an internal debate is conducted, perhaps indefinitely, IDK.  Don't really care that much lol.  Personally I think offering a cheaper and easier upgrade path is the proper thing to do if the enclosure and woofer and radiator and mid horn is the same.  Just as one example, the first guy to buy these parts was from Seattle.  For him to upgrade easily, he'd have to take two days off from work, I'd have to arrange for a truck to pick up his Forte 3's, send them from Seattle to Kentucky, inspect and test them, send some Forte 4's to Seattle, then sell the used Forte 3's on eBay at a loss, then mess with a bunch of paperwork.  If the same thing can happen with a few parts, I'm all for it.  But others don't see it the same way.  Which is perfectly fine.  I have better things to worry about to be honest.  So, everyone disregard the Forte 3/4 upgrade comments please. :)  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

Goodness where do I start with this thread as a whole.  

1. Cory HAD some Jubilees on Facebook.  The veneered ones are all sold at this point, sold my last two pair on the same day on Sunday.  I have a pair of new black factory sealed ones available.  Was going to split them up but at this point I'm not interested as I will be stuck with an orphan forever.  That's it, other than the original factory prototypes of the new style from 2009.  

2. Yes I have some 402's available, but, those are the entire assemblies.  That's the stands, horns, and compression drivers, not just the lens.  I've had multiple people contact me about the lens but that's not the case.  Literally everybody at Klipsch including Roy has said that it's perfectly fine to sell these assemblies by themselves since it's a standalone product with a Klipsch serial number so I'm not being shy about offering those for sale.  Yes I have the assemblies.  Yes you are free to buy them by themselves.  No I don't have just the lens.  

3. Since believe it or not I can sense judgmental disdain, or at the minimum I feel that an explanation is warranted since that screenshot is now public... Klipsch customer support told me directly that I can offer individual upgrade parts from the Forte 4 to Forte 3 customers.  They weren't advertising it as  kit but I can order the parts individually.  I got about two "kits" out the door before a Klipsch employee saw it and started hollering about it being unauthorized.  As of now I have to halt selling these, perhaps while an internal debate is conducted, perhaps indefinitely, IDK.  Don't really care that much lol.  Personally I think offering a cheaper and easier upgrade path is the proper thing to do if the enclosure and woofer and radiator and mid horn is the same.  Just as one example, the first guy to buy these parts was from Seattle.  For him to upgrade easily, he'd have to take two days off from work, I'd have to arrange for a truck to pick up his Forte 3's, send them from Seattle to Kentucky, inspect and test them, send some Forte 4's to Seattle, then sell the used Forte 3's on eBay at a loss, then mess with a bunch of paperwork.  If the same thing can happen with a few parts, I'm all for it.  But others don't see it the same way.  Which is perfectly fine.  I have better things to worry about to be honest.  So, everyone disregard the Forte 3/4 upgrade comments please. :)  

Could I get a price on two 402 assemblies please. Thx - Don

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 7:01 AM, Hilltoppa said:

Could I get a price on two 402 assemblies please

Priced them last year ... they were about $1400 each (or ouch) :) 

FYI, bought some K-510's from Klipsch about a year ago for less than $20 each. And new K-691's were about $650. So; quite a premium for 402's :( 

19 hours ago, RandyH said:

did you buy the k402

No - The price was just too high for me - Could not justify it in my mind when I haven't really optimized what I have.  Maybe down the road a bit. I am also looking hard at the Jubes up in Connecticut. Very enticing.

I have set up the REW analysis equipment and started looking at the basic perfomance of my system. It really helped in adjusting the L-Pads to balance the sound.

Once I had the speakers set I did a system cal with each of my speakers then all the speakers together. It seems I have some serious spiking going on - especially in the mids.  I'm going to play with room set up for a while while I look for a DSP to level things out.   

Can anyone give me recommendations for a reasonable DSP to start the next phase?

Its tough searching for Audio Umami - aint it.

Best

DK

20 hours ago, Emile said:

Priced them last year ... they were about $1400 each (or ouch) :) 

FYI, bought some K-510's from Klipsch about a year ago for less than $20 each. And new K-691's were about $650. So; quite a premium for 402's :( 

A little too rich for me right now. I've been snooping for 402 cousins that sound close but haven't found anything yet. Going to try the JBL's I have and compare to the 510's.  Haven't even started switching the drivers yet.    

I've seen real sound improvements with each step I take.  I thought I'd hit a cost/benefit plateau by now but am pleasantly surprised I haven't. Think I'll have to sell some more of the equipment I have laying around so I can start upgrading. 

Best

DK

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hilltoppa said:

I am also looking hard at the Jubes up in Connecticut. Very enticing.

@PrestonTom certainly has more than just  the k402  , it's a  fully working Jube style  setup  and Jubes are 20k$  , doing the math is very revealing of the Deal  -

2800$ plus taxes , shipping etc for  a pair of  K402 horns ------    plus who knows how long klipsch will sell the k402  ? 

On 9/24/2021 at 1:49 PM, HPower said:

I 100% agree with Tom, to get your current set-up to sound it's best, you really need to get a decent DSP crossover (I use a Xilica, XP-4080)

^^^^ This, I have read it over and over again many times on this forum by those who have tried it.

It is best not to skimp on the DSP. 

The buck seems to stop at the Xilica.

39 minutes ago, geoff. said:

^^^^ This, I have read it over and over again many times on this forum by those who have tried it.

Thanks to all - I'll start the search. 

interpreting

On 10/10/2021 at 2:38 PM, geoff. said:

System.thumb.jpg.50f830f2444e68afb7937e117d59592d.jpg

Electronics.thumb.jpg.ac909306d5f4a14dd7e4d4dfe65995f1.jpg

My active set up:

Preamp is a Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE.

The W4S connects via XLRs to my DSP Crossover which is a Xilica, XP-4080.
Great Xover which looks after crossover points and slopes, EQ, Time Delays, and Gains.

The Xilica sends the Hi frequency to the Triode Labs tube amp, 2A3 SET at about 3.5-4wpc.
More than enough power for the big horn and it’s 2 inch K-691 compression drivers.
Bass frequency goes to the Classe, CA-150 to power the FH-1s that have a single 15in Crites cast woofer in each bin.
Finally the XP-4080 feeds a mono signal to a Crown XLS 1500 that powers 1: F20 tapped horn Subwoofer and 1: TubaHT Subwoofer, which are on opposite sides of the room.

Note: the small horn and top hat that the big 402s are sitting on are currently sitting idle and not in use.
When I initially refurbished the Peavey bins I built the matching Walnut top hats to house the Klipsch K-510 horns
that have the Faital HF-200 CDs on them.
This set up sounded very good, but remembering how my previous speakers sounded (DIY, Klipsch Jubilee), I eventually
bought another pair of K-402s.
Size does matter!

But, as I mentioned earlier, most would be content with the K-510s on top.

It only would become obvious how the K-402 is better when A/B'ing the 2 horns, which I can do easily by switching the Hi frequency signal from one to the other and then switch the Xilica settings that I have for each Horn/CD combo.

As for those different setting, I must again thank Chris for his expertise in interpreting my REW sweeps, and then

coming up with the settings for my XP-4080!  👏👏

On 10/10/2021 at 2:02 PM, Hilltoppa said:

a reasonable DSP to start the next phase

You can start with a miniDSP 2x4HD for about $200. Note; do NOT get the cheaper basic miniDSP - too much distortion. Then, move up to a Xilica 2040/4080/etc. depending on how many in/outs you need. (Picked up a new 2040 a couple of months ago for about $650.) Note; Xilica no longer makes these units, but the will provide tech support. :)