K-402 replacement

Hilltoppa

19 minutes ago, Emile said:

You can start with a miniDSP 2x4HD for about $200. Note; do NOT get the cheaper basic miniDSP - too much distortion. Then, move up to a Xilica 2040/4080/etc. depending on how many in/outs you need. (Picked up a new 2040 a couple of months ago for about $650.) Note; Xilica no longer makes these units, but the will provide tech support. :) 

Thanks - Think I'll get the mini while I am looking for the Xilica XP.  

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 5:03 PM, Emile said:

Priced them last year ... they were about $1400 each (or ouch) :) 

FYI, bought some K-510's from Klipsch about a year ago for less than $20 each. And new K-691's were about $650. So; quite a premium for 402's :( 

So people don't think the 510's are selling for $20 each here is the deal as far as I know. If you have a set with a serial number and have broken or destroyed the 510's Klipsch will sell you ONE set to replace those at a super price. I believe Roy ultimately will be the one to approve such things, or at least I know he is for bare 402's, and he can be understanding of your needs but never to sell horns just because you want them. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, Dave A said:

If you have a set with a serial number and have broken or destroyed the 510's Klipsch will sell you ONE set to replace those

Haha; yes, got a couple at less than $20. Then I got "rail-roaded." :( Even my pleadings with KPT-904's serial numbers  and pics of damaged 510's did NOT help :(  So; thank you Klipsch ... switched to JBL :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Haha; yes, got a couple at less than $20. Then I got "rail-roaded." :( Even my pleadings with KPT-904's serial numbers  and pics of damaged 510's did NOT help :(  So; thank you Klipsch ... switched to JBL :) 

How many sets off the same serial numbers did you ask for?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave A said:

How many sets off the same serial numbers did you ask for?

16 hours ago, 001 said:

...Mumps -:rolleyes:

Yes, latest version with mumps :)  Ordered 6 about a year ago; from memory they were $18 plus change. No problem, order confirmed ... then they "only" shipped 4 and told me the remaining 2 had to be transferred from another warehouse first. Never happened; order was intercepted by "management," and was told the previous ones were sold "in error." Pleaded many times (including 904 serial numbers, etc) and was promised help in finding "extra" ones. Haha; nothing ever happened. Sold the 510's (at my cost) to forum members. :) 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 12:29 PM, Emile said:

Racer, thanks. Have a set of JBL 2385 (think the are the same as your 2380's but with a narrower angle) with 2" JBL 2446H drivers to experiment with. And, have K-510's with 2" drivers :)  and yes; very pleased with 2" exit drivers :) 

But ... wanted to go "bigger (horn-wise)" but cannot fit K-402's in my setup. So; was glad @Marvel mentioned the JBL 2374 horn. But, now searching for 1-1/2" drivers as I'm pretty sure one cannot use 2" drivers on these horns :( 

Depending on where you want to cross... look at the Faital or Radian 1.4 inch drivers. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for @Dave Ato make a plate adapter to make the transition to 1.5. Probably wouldn't have to be very thick, it's a small change.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Marvel said:

Depending on where you want to cross... look at the Faital or Radian 1.4 inch drivers. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for @Dave Ato make a plate adapter to make the transition to 1.5. Probably wouldn't have to be very thick, it's a small change.

Eminence makes a 1.4" to 2" adapter for very little $$ and they are good quality castings.

13 hours ago, Marvel said:

Look at this Radian... that graph looks pretty smooth. The berylium is about $500 or so more per driver... most of theirs come in 8 or 16 ohms.

https://usspeaker.com/radian 745pb-1.htm

Never fiddled with beryllium as I figured it was too much money for what you would get.  Of the three horn drivers I have been playing with most lately, the DE-10, DE-120 and Faital HF145R, they all have polymer diaphragms and sound very good and don't break the bank. Even the DCX-464 coaxial driver I have started fiddling with is polymer.