Thoughts on Clair P2 Tops and ML18 HP Sub?

Cornwalled

Hello all,

Wanted to get your thoughts on some Clair Brothers speakers.  I'm looking at a pair of P-2 Tops with a roadcase for $1,100 and am ML18 HP Sub for $400.  The P2s have a 12" woofer, and a 2" Horn driver, but I don't know the brand.  The Sub has a JBL 2258 18".

Clair used an electronic crossover / processor with the P2s, but I don't know which one.  I have a Driverack that I was hoping to use once I measured the drivers.

What are your thoughts about this potential setup?  My main concern is will the Driverack be adequate to control the P2s, or do they need more radical processing than it can provide?  This would be for a home setup, serving as music (anything from pop rock, to classic rock to mild electronic) as well as movies.

P2 In Case.jpg

P2 Brochure.jpg

P2 Angle.jpg

ML18 HP.jpg

Those things were designed to be rode hard and put up wet, and the multiple coats of paint and wear make it obvious they were used accordingly. Looks like 80's concert tech to me. That's not a compliment.

The narrow pattern of the tops will only hold at higher frequencies - you need big boxes to hold those patterns to the transition of the woofer, but it didn't matter for live rock because the venue was screaming loud and the sub arrays were overwhelming anything the woofers in those little boxes were trying to do. That 3 box kit looks like a drum monitor system to me. That means the sub is tuned to dive under 50 or 60Hz.

When buying stuff, ignore the "value" of what they're offering if it doesn't apply to you, such as the beat to death road cases.

If I bought something like that I'd replace all the drivers unless I had the means to throughly vet them after purchase. Thus I wouldn't pay more than $600 for all of it.

With that said, it would be fun to restore that little system to use in small club settings, but I have a feeling it'll be a far cry from satisfactory for critical listening.

God bless you and your precious family - Langston

• 3 months later...