Heresy 4's and midrange bump

Moosh Bronsun

On 9/23/2021 at 6:13 PM, Moosh Bronsun said:

I love my H4's, But some records have a bit of forwardness in the 1k-2k range. I watched GR Research's video on the Forte 3 and his measured the same.

Curious on how I can alleviate this? I was looking at a Schiit Loki but its nearest adjustment is 2k and it seems like that will not work?

Thanks In advance.

you could switch to  Poly Diaphragms for the HF , they are much tamer --

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

Are you referring to replacing the tweeter completely? Is that a thing? I just got CWIVs in June...do people replace any of those drivers? Jesus how much is an upgraded driver on a $6K+ pair of loudspeakers lol. Or 3k+ in the case of the Heresys

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

Ehhhhhh...... In brand new heresy IVs?   Maybe they aren't the speakers for him.  Could be as simple as that.   Experiment with toe in and out and distance from the back wall. It's free. If you can't alleviate by placement, I wouldn't get crazy with trying to correct what bothers. Sell and move on perhaps. 

4 minutes ago, CoryGillmore said:

Are you referring to replacing the tweeter completely? Is that a thing? I just got CWIVs in June...do people replace any of those drivers? Jesus how much is an upgraded driver on a $6K+ pair of loudspeakers lol. Or 3k+ in the case of the Heresys

Doesn't make sense. Don't do it.  Why get a new speaker when you can modify old until your heart is content if you have the desire to tinker.   

7 hours ago, RandyH said:

Tweeters don't start in until 7khz not sure how that would help tame a 1-2khz bump? Those tweeters typically have a pretty low output compared to the mid if there's any perceived harshness its more than likely from the mid. 

As stated by others try placement both speakers and seating area if possible change the room around if you can or have to possibly look at some treatments? Do you have hardwood floors? Maybe throw a thick rug between the speakers and listening position? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Tweeters don't start in until 7khz not sure how that would help tame a 1-2khz bump? Those tweeters typically have a pretty low output compared to the mid if there's any perceived harshness its more than likely from the mid. 

As stated by others try placement both speakers and seating area if possible change the room around if you can or have to possibly look at some treatments? Do you have hardwood floors? Maybe throw a thick rug between the speakers and listening position? 

Yes this is true, I had to play around with positioning, distance and toe-in quite a bit to keep my CWIVs from shouting at me in the mids. But boy did I find the sweet spot now! I've gone through quite a few placements to get these things sounding good on a lot of modern rock music. Classic rock sounds good on these almost no matter where they are haha. Also classical and anything acoustic. Keep in mind I'm still using a mid-grade A/V receiver to power them, though I did bypass the internal DAC on the receiver. Which provided quite the gain in SQ. 

I'm strongly considering a Schiit stack of Freya+ pre and two Aegirs in dual mono. But I'm kinda leery now since some describe Schiit as cold and clinical. I want warm and lush electronics for these CWIVs....Already using a Schiit Modius DAC. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I was referring to  MIDS mostly , but in this example , I would have replaced the mids and tweeter diaphragms at the same time to have poly in both drivers 

6 hours ago, RandyH said:

I was referring to  MIDS mostly , but in this example , I would have replaced the mids and tweeter diaphragms at the same time to have poly in both drivers 

From Klipsch specs:

• All-new K-702 midrange compression driver, featuring a polyimide diaphragm, for exceptional detail

https://www.klipsch.com/products/heresy-iv-floorstanding-speaker

20 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Wow.....pretty extreme

... Poly in my post referred  to  polyester Film/mylar /plastic as opposed to  Poly polyimide /polymer /nylon as used in the K771-K702  , in any case , the K771 and K702 sound really good -