Klipsch KG4 and KV3 center channel?

MHB

I agree on the Academy if you can't do a third kg4.  A kg3 would be close too.  I always thought the Academy sounded more like the original kg series (no decimal point models) than the 3-way speakers for which it was supposedly a match.  I don't think anything recent would match well.

14 hours ago, MHB said:

I have a 7.2.2 home theatre system with two KG4s for my front speakers. Looking to match with a Klipsch center channel speaker. Am hearing KV3 are a good match. Any recommendations for something more recent?

Thanks for all the prompt responses! I really not have the footprint for the Academy or the other suggestions mentioned, that's why I was wondering about something more recent like the RP 450C center channel.

8 hours ago, MHB said:

Thanks for all the prompt responses! I really not have the footprint for the Academy or the other suggestions mentioned, that's why I was wondering about something more recent like the RP 450C center channel.

The 450C is like twice the size of an Academy.

19 hours ago, MHB said:

Wrong direction.  Reference speakers and KG line do not mix.  The timbre' will not even be close.  Do it right the first time you will thank yourself later.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MHB said:

Footprint, meaning dimensions? The KG 2.5 or 2.2 is 44.5cm wide (vs 79cm RP-450c) and 23.5cm high (vs 17.3cm RP-450c).

• Like 1

It's tough to say for a matching center for the original kg line. The original kg line has such a distinct sound to them, that I don't feel like any center will really "match" them. KG2 or KG1 maybe? As far as what will work well enough, I think the kv3 was a under rated small center channel and usually can be picked up for fairly cheap money to test out. At least they used to be fairly cheap.

4 hours ago, MHB said:

So I guess the choice is KV3 vs Academy. Do you think it would be ok to place tv directly on the Academy?

Those would be the closest sonic match to kg4.  @Frzninvt mentioned the KG 2.2 or 2.5 but in my opinion those would not be a good match.  I've owned kg4 and briefly owned a KG 2.2V (the video shielded version).  I don't think that circular tweeter would match kg4 at all.  I actually found it kind of harsh.  I quickly traded it in for an Academy.  I didn't find the Academy a great match for the Klipsch 3-way speakers that I had at the time (original Forte) but its sound reminded a lot of the kg3 and kg4.  Some of the larger .2 and .5 kg line speakers with rectangular horns might match decently but those would be taller than a third kg4.

• 2 weeks later...