Is my receiver too old?

Megadeth9299

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time Klipsch owner, and now that my units are on the way, I'm starting to question if my receiver will be able to handle the newer, much larger speakers. 

My current receiver is a Sony DAV-HDX275 from 2008. It's supposed to be able to supply 1000W total but I wouldn't be surprised if that number is less now that it's gotten to be 13 years old. I'm also not sure if the sound quality can match what I'm looking to replace it with

I'm looking at purchasing a Denon AVR-S540BT to replace my Sony. I realize it's able to supply less total power at 700W, but I'm only connecting 2 floor speakers and a sub for now. 

As for the pieces I've ordered, I'm getting 2 R-28F floor speakers as well as 1 R-125W. I'm also considering adding a RP-440C, but that might have to wait until Christmas. 

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated! 

4 hours ago, Megadeth9299 said:

My current receiver is a Sony DAV-HDX275 from 2008. It's supposed to be able to supply 1000W total but I wouldn't be surprised if that number is less now that it's gotten to be 13 years old.

That's not really how that works.  You don't lose power with age.  That being said, your AVR isn't capable of 1000 W total, at max it will only produce 165-180W for one channel.  Assuming it's a 5-channel unit, that means it's under 30 WPC.  That is per your units operating manual.  The typical 2-channel output is likely around 50.

I'm looking at purchasing a Denon AVR-S540BT to replace my Sony. I realize it's able to supply less total power at 700W, but I'm only connecting 2 floor speakers and a sub for now. 

That is also not true.  The 540 is rated for 310W maximum output, so around 60 WPC.  Entry level units will likely spec lower than the PSU's will allow as well.

What is your budget?

I vote for the Denon. I had Sonys for years. I won’t buy another one. I went with Marantz. Gotta pay close attention to the specs per channel. Some units will have lower power for side/rear/center or will vary front L/R 2.0 vs 5.1. 

all that said. Just hook it up and listen. It only matters what you like. 😉

• Like 1

The Denon Page says:

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 70W

https://www.denon.com/en-ca/product/av-receivers/avr-s540bt

So You´ll have about 60W if you use all five channels, just like Michael says.

If Your budget is an issue, have you thought about buying used? It helped me getting a good rig at a good price.

53 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

That's not really how that works.  You don't lose power with age. 

What is your budget?

I'm not great at this stuff because I got the set I have currently from my parents. The budget is a tricky thing because I want to not spend a fortune, but I would like something where I'll be able to get good usage of the speakers, especially since part of my justification for this purchase to my fiancee is that we're looking at using this setup at our wedding reception. 

16 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

If Your budget is an issue, have you thought about buying used? It helped me getting a good rig at a good price.

I'm more than willing to look into used items. The R-28F speakers are open box specials that I got a good deal on. Clearly, I have no clue what I'm doing, so I'd be open to suggestions of what to look for as well as where. 

• Like 1

Well, i´m not from the States, so i´ve got no insight what good prices would be for You. Tell the guys what Your budget would be. Is this for Home Theater and music?

And most imporant, just like CWOReilly said, try to listen to different things and find out what You like. Maybe You know people that are further down the road (Stereo wise)?

3 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Is this for Home Theater and music?

Maybe You know people that are further down the road (Stereo wise)?

This is for Home Theater primarily, but we'll use it for music on the 1 occasion. 

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in my area with a quality home theater. Most will have an all-in-one soundbar and call it good enough. I'm hoping to have something better. 

As far as budget, if I have to put a number on it, I need to stay under $700. Anything more than that, and my receiver costs more than everything else in the setup. I was hoping to be under $400, but that doesn't seem possible unless I want the speakers to be under-powered

32 minutes ago, Megadeth9299 said:

As far as budget, if I have to put a number on it, I need to stay under $700. Anything more than that, and my receiver costs more than everything else in the setup. I was hoping to be under $400, but that doesn't seem possible unless I want the speakers to be under-powered

Well if you don’t need the latest and greatest there is definitely a vast used market that will be more than adequate. For example I recently acquired a B&K that does 7.1 and over 100watts per channel. Downside no HDMI. New $1300…. Used $175…..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Megadeth9299 said:

North Dakota USA

Where in ND?  I'm in Alexandria, MN and I have an Integra receiver that is around the same age as your Sony but would be a massive upgrade in sound quality and has plenty of power.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/203409-fs-integra-dtr-58-receiver-75/