Powerful amp for the sensitive Heresys? Opinions welcome.

Weltfaul

1 hour ago, CoryGillmore said:

What DB range is your preferred listening experience? I'm usually hanging out around 95db peaks but I have measured up to 105db peaks in my room before, when I was drinking lol. 

As high as that or lower if listening for extended period.  Occasionally much louder for a song here and there.  The longer I listen, I try to keep the volume lower. If I listen for shorter periods of time, I will usually be a bit on the louder side.  If I'm drinking, 🙄 off the charts sometimes. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2021 at 2:36 AM, Westcoastdrums said:

I could likely EASILY live with a 5 watt or less 300b... BUT, I have my preferences and I don't like soft and romantic.   I love crisp, modern, dynamic, slamming tight bass and as good of a spatial and palpable midrange as one can get.  That's how I ended up with my choice.  But believe me, anyone local in socal is willing to come listen, as the system is turned up, CRYSTAL clear to PAST concert levels (I'm less than 15 feet away from the speakers and the subs are QUITE serious for this room).  It gets extremely silly quick and if you hang around past,  I will smile and leave because I can't take it. 

I run Forte IIIs and recently made the switch from tubes to solid state.  I went from a restored McIntosh MC240 (tube) that put out about 55 watts to an McIntosh MC152 (solid state) that puts out over 200 watts.

The quote above from Westcoastdrums sums up the changes I experienced making the switch to solid state/more power. I did not make the changes for sonic reasons -- I wanted modern trouble free gear that I did not have to care for (really I did not feel comfortable with my toddle running around hot tube gear), but I have been pleased with the results of more power. I always expected more bass with the Forte's than I was getting with the MC240 and giving them more watts certainly has helped in this department. 

If you have an inkling for more power -- I say scratch the itch and see if you like it. As others have suggested, you can experiment with low cost solid state and see if it delivers the goods. No need to part ways with your tube amp. For me, in an ideal world, I would have both, to fit my mood. Alas, at this stage in life, I only have space and money for one type of amplification. 

Enjoy your sonic journey and have fun! 

• Like 1

"I wanted modern trouble free gear that I did not have to care for (really I did not feel comfortable with my toddle running around hot tube gear), but I have been pleased with the results of more power." 

Verbatim here. My soon to be 2 year old year old knows how to turn on all of my gear and is VERY curious.   Daily she says" music, Dancie".   That M2 ran too hot for my taste and I was concerned about her burning her hand on the amp. She knows not to touch my gear, but you know how that goes.... 😏

• Like 3

I power my MWMs w/La Scala mids and tweets with a Crown D-45. Tight, clean bass, without the gain up very far. I also have anxli800 that will be going on the MWMs with the D-45 on the highs when I get my DBX VENUE 360 connected and dialed in. While I had tried the xli800, I could never hear the fans either.

4 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

"I wanted modern trouble free gear that I did not have to care for (really I did not feel comfortable with my toddle running around hot tube gear), but I have been pleased with the results of more power." 

Verbatim here. My soon to be 2 year old year old knows how to turn on all of my gear and is VERY curious.   Daily she says" music, Dancie".   That M2 ran too hot for my taste and I was concerned about her burning her hand on the amp. She knows not to touch my gear, but you know how that goes.... 😏

My gal is three and loves the music and the stereo. When I had to send the MC240 for a repair, she was pretty devastated and asked about the stereo everyday -- "Is it fixed?"  That was enough of a rationale/justification for me to make the switch to solid state. 

She has also figured out how to turn everything on and off and asks me to play her music all the time. Her preference is for records, I try to play her favorite album (which is Jamie XX these days) digitally and she is having none of it. She also exclaims "I like it loud!" whenever I turn the music down a little. It's never too early to get them into the hobby :)  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SWL said:

Sounds good to me......thinking about ordering one to compare with my K2.

Deals on these amps  at Crown as we speak  ----XLI 800 295$ -XLI 1500 365$ -XLI 2500  479$ --

-BUY directly from Crown , the warranty is exceptional  , last time , I sent an amp in for repair , the unit they send me back was brand new  -

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xli-2500

• Like 2

that's exactly what these amps are for -Pro speakers - heavy punching bass , rock-metal -  the warranty covers shipping both ways with insurance /no hassle warranty , top notch all the way - you dont have the right box , they'll send you one specifically for the amp by Fedex Free of charge -

Just now, RandyH said:

that's exactly what these amps are for -Pro speakers - heavy punching bass , rock-metal -  the warranty covers shipping both ways with insurance /no hassle warranty , top notch all the way - you dont have the right box , they'll send you one specifically for the amp by Fedex -

Oh I know crown amps. Have had plenty. Just would be nice to have a lightweight, cheap amp that sounds good to tour around and have no concerns about. This will fit the bill. 

2 minutes ago, RandyH said:

that's exactly what these amps are for -Pro speakers - heavy punching bass , rock-metal -  the warranty covers shipping both ways with insurance /no hassle warranty , top notch all the way - you dont have the right box , they'll send you one specifically for the amp by Fedex -

These amps are for anything. Most of my listening now is Cello of one sort or another and the musical definition is really good. it also does thump and drums and as a matter of fact it just does it all well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RandyH said:

good to know -

I like them. I have people stop in and talk about their tube amps and their miracle wires  and such stuff. I am told how much better they would sound on my system.  I have asked them to bring the good gear and lets have a listen but they never do on their next visit.

12 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I like them. I have people stop in and talk about their tube amps and their miracle wires  and such stuff. I am told how much better they would sound on my system.  I have asked them to bring the good gear and lets have a listen but they never do on their next visit.

If we were closer, I would (not tube amps).  There is a difference, it's just how much of a difference and is it worth it to you or not.   I'd love to put a dedicated DAC on your system straight out to the amp and see what you think. If you said no difference, then no difference.   I have never been a fan of expensive cables or equipment, but if the performance makes sense, I'm willing to spend the money.  Cables absolutely do make a difference as well. I'm not a monoprice only guy myself. I have had good luck with canare and mogami on a budget and above that, audioquest and kimber reasonably priced offerings used.  Just ordered Canare 4s8 cables for both of my amps (reasonably priced and terminated for little more than the price of the cable and connectors from RAM electronics). 

• Like 1