Powerful amp for the sensitive Heresys? Opinions welcome.

Weltfaul

4 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I like them. I have people stop in and talk about their tube amps and their miracle wires  and such stuff. I am told how much better they would sound on my system.  I have asked them to bring the good gear and lets have a listen but they never do on their next visit.

we used to throw tube amps  in the containers ,  obsolete technology , the BGW 750 amplifiers were by then so reliable in the sound industry  , no one ever looked back -

1 minute ago, RandyH said:

we used to throw tube amps  in the containers ,  obsolete technology , the BGW 750 amplifiers were by then so reliable in the sound industry  , no one ever looked back -

Tube amps certainly have an undivided mainstay in hifI nowadays. I wanted badly to try that Carver Crimson 275 that Shakeydeal was selling, but I was late to that party. Certain designs interest me.   Trying risk free (selling and getting money back is always OK in my book) has allowed me to audition plenty of gear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Tube amps certainly have an undivided mainstay in hifI nowadays. I wanted badly to try that Carver Crimson 275 that Shakeydeal was selling, but I was late to that party. Certain designs interest me.   Trying risk free (selling and getting money back is always OK in my book) has allowed me to audition plenty of gear. 

I've kicked myself a few times for not jumping on that deal and ending up buying a brand new one, great amp simply one of the best ever made by Carver IMO and plenty of power for what I'm running. 

5 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I've kicked myself a few times for not jumping on that deal and ending up buying a brand new one, great amp simply one of the best ever made by Carver IMO and plenty of power for what I'm running. 

Same here. I won't buy it new though as my parasound a21 + I got for a great deal.  If a deal like that comes around again (doubtful), I'll likely pull the trigger. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Same here. I won't buy it new though 

One of the few things I've ever bought new normally I'm a bargain hunter but made an exception on this as a birthday gift to myself-- It's a really nice sounding amp I plan on keeping mine for the long haul if another deal like Shakey's comes up I'd encourage you to check it out.

15 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

One of the few things I've ever bought new normally I'm a bargain hunter but made an exception on this as a birthday gift to myself-- It's a really nice sounding amp I plan on keeping mine for the long haul if another deal like Shakey's comes up I'd encourage you to check it out.

Indeed I hear you. I'm at a Carver fan. Checking out the reviews and knowing what this amp is, I absolutely want to try it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I just got a deal on my parasound amp is all. 

I'd be curious to check out the newer Parasounds I bet they sound great too I've had the HCA-3500, HCA-2200-II, the HCA-2205 and the HCA-1000, I believe they were all John Curl designs. I still think and recommend the HCA-1000 as a great budget amp. Have you had the older HCA line? Do they sound anything like the A21? 

9 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

DaveA,

what about not so good measurements of Crown XLI800,

like the ones posted in audiosciencereview?

Key words being distortion and noise.

Nobody here has heard that so not sure what they think they are measuring. If it sounds good and measures bad the guy measuring is missing something. I have seen that article too and just walk on by their findings.

7 minutes ago, parlophone1 said:

Good to see your opinion about that, thank you.

I hear what he's saying. If an amp measures GREAT on paper and measures like shit, would you rather have that, or...? A $10k tube amp that measures like shit on paper but makes you boo boo you pants in person?  Take reviews and measurements with a handful of salt.  I Haney heard that amp so I can't comment.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, parlophone1 said:

Dave A has badly measured amps in a well dialed highly sensitive system. And knowing his craftsmanship from this forum, I value the opinion he has to offer.

My opinion is the same. Hes joined up with Claude and that combo is HARD to beat. Between them both.... Just buy what, they are selling if you want the upgrade. Otherwise, as the military says, don't ask, don't tell. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 12:55 AM, parlophone1 said:

DaveA,

what about not so good measurements of Crown XLI800,

like the ones posted in audiosciencereview?

Key words being distortion and noise.

I was thinking about noise this morning and here are some things I found that did cause noise in my set up. One was a spinning hard drive which caused a faint ever present hum. A different spinning hard drive or an ssd both did away with that problem. Then with the volume up a bit louder than normal one day, and dead quiet as the XLI800 is after getting rid of the noisy hard drive, I found when I moved my mouse that this action also caused noise. So if I am doing really critical listening I flip the mouse over or just disconnect it once the music starts. One other time I had an 1/8" jack to xlr cable that got yanked and it too caused some problems until I isolated the issue. A lot of what I get to work on is older Klipsch pro gear. With all the hooking and unhooking I do and all the nonsense used speakers can go through at times I found that banana plugs can be loose enough to cause an almost static like sound at higher bass levels as the speaker cables rattle around with their somewhat loose connection. I only use fork end crimp connectors now and they don't seem to work loose. I had an annoying rattle at certain volumes and tones recently and it was a speaker wire rubbing on the frame. And finally at times I have an annoying noise that turned out to be a screw or nut picked up by the woofer magnet and yes you can hear that as it buzzes around during play. That one stumped me for some time as I never noticed the nut stuck on there when measuring to try and figure out what was wrong.

• Like 2

At the risk of sounding too much like a clown, set your power levels according to this:

When the cannons go off in the 1812 Overture, I want to:

A. Grin like an idiot            - Low wattage, maybe something single-ended, or under ~40w
B. Jump out of my seat    - Decent mid-wattage, ~100w tubes, 300w SS
C. S#!t my pants.              - Kilowatt Class+

"But my speakers are known power-hogs"   Cool, triple above recommendations or go up one or two orders of magnitude.  Hook up an arc-welder, whatever makes you grin.   🤪