Casters, risers, etc for La Scalas

w30bob

HI Guys,

I've been looking around for some casters for my La Scalas, and while doing so I ran across some risers as well.  I haven't figured out the exact placement of my speakers relative to my listening position just yet......still playing around....but got to thinking I could use larger casters in the front and smaller in the back to pitch the front of the speaker upward, better aiming the drivers centerline with my ear location vertically.  I liked that idea, but then thought it would be nicer if I could adjust the angle so if I sit nearfield or far-field, or move them from room to room, I can tweak the tilt of the speakers.  Has anyone come up adjustable risers with or without casters for the La Scalas? I see fixed risers on Epay for silly amounts of money (for 8 sticks of wood), but really like the idea of adjustability.  Anybody been there and done that already?

thanks,

bob

That's funny........I was at Walmart the other day looking for ideas and I happened on the big thick rubber doorstops!!  And I thought about it.  Actually, it gave me some ideas for longer wood wedges.......but it is funny you mentioned them!  

Now I'm curious..........where would I look to find the other 7 of Mr Klipsch's principles for good sound.  Me thinks I should read them!  

thanks guys!!

bob

44 minutes ago, w30bob said:

where would I look to find the other 7 of Mr Klipsch's principles 

1) Freedom from distortion 

2) Optimum size of speaker

3) Freedom from rattles

4) Freedom from shadows

5) Freedom from cavities 

6) Adequate spacing for Stereo 

7) Accurate spacial values

8)- Flanking speakers toad-in .

Item #5 Freedom from cavities 

I used a 2 inch butcher block on the bottom of my La Scala's

That did two things 1. raised the tweeter 2 inches   2. filled the voids

With the void filled I was then able to tilt the boxes to get the tweeter where it needed to be.

It works, it is cheap and reversible if you do not like it. 

BTW painted the butcher block flat black looks like right out of the factory

You can buy a 24x48 piece of butcher block at home depot or lowes  - just cut it in half, drill some pilot holes and screw it to the bottom

20210428_115057.jpg

Yes adding the butcher block makes the speakers much heavier. I solved this issue by putting carpet sliders under the 4 corners of the speaker. once again simple, cheap and easily undone if you do not like it.

Please keep in mind when you make any change to the La Scala's you "should " try repositioning them even small adjustments can make a difference..  One problem with La Scala's is they can sound good just stuck in a room in any manner. But proper sounding of each speaker can enhance your enjoyment.

Enjoy the Music

Put 4 casters from Ikea screwed into the bottom

Think their capacity is 125-175 lbs each

Lifted the speakers 4 in

Putting the mid driver at ear level

sounds great.

I seldom use the direct fire 12 sub I have connected.

If on a hard floor, I like the casters.

Also makes cleaning and servicing much easier

If I were to set speakers on wheels ii would be in dolly form, you can screw whatever size plywood to it to make it fit your speaker or just buy casters and build your own at whatever size you need then the speakers can just sit on top of them. At $12 each kind of hard to beat.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-63098.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

If I were to set speakers on wheels ii would be in dolly form, you can screw whatever size plywood to it to make it fit your speaker or just buy casters and build your own at whatever size you need then the speakers can just sit on top of them. At $12 each kind of hard to beat.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-63098.html

I considered building my own dollies

decided the risk of falling off was greater then a few well placed screws into the bottom.

Yeah, I was at Lowes last night looking at casters........for some odd reason they're cheaper at Lowes in-store than others sell them for online.  But I forgot to bring the hole dimensions for the screws in the corners of the bottom piece of plywood.  I was planning on not drilling new holes in the wood, just using slightly longer screws and using the existing 2 holes in each corner.  But now that I see what a whole friggin' dolly costs at Harbor Freight......and it's what 1 caster cost at Lowes.   So for $24 I'm just getting 2 dollies and either use as-is or steal the casters off them!  Or I could splurge and buy the pseudo butcher block dollie that's big enough to hold a La Scala.........decisions, decisions.  

https://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/hand-trucks-carts-dollies/24-in-x-16-in-1000-lb-capacity-solid-deck-hardwood-dolly-56782.html

• Like 2

That's funny........I was at Walmart the other day looking for ideas and I happened on the big thick rubber doorstops!!  And I thought about it.  Actually, it gave me some ideas for longer wood wedges.......but it is funny you mentioned them!  

Now I'm curious..........where would I look to find the other 7 of Mr Klipsch's principles for good sound.  Me thinks I should read them!  

thanks guys!!
bob

Read “The Dope From Hope” papers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Item #5 Freedom from cavities 

I used a 2 inch butcher block on the bottom of my La Scala's

That did two things 1. raised the tweeter 2 inches   2. filled the voids

With the void filled I was then able to tilt the boxes to get the tweeter where it needed to be.

It works, it is cheap and reversible if you do not like it. 

BTW painted the butcher block flat black looks like right out of the factory

You can buy a 24x48 piece of butcher block at home depot or lowes  - just cut it in half, drill some pilot holes and screw it to the bottom

20210428_115057.thumb.jpg.372deebe81653021459546073078862a.jpg

The tweeter is where it should be with the speakers sitting on the floor.Klipsch horn tweeters are wide dispersion and there is no need to point them at your ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony I agree that is the classic positioning related to the La Scala's.

The one factor that is different for every person is the room that the speakers are placed in.

In my case I have 10 foot walls and then another 4 feet of ½ pipe as a ceiling the entire 20 ft length of my room.

I also have a pair of older KG4's which is where I first noticed the benefit of tilting the speakers back, in that room

The La Scala's also benefited from a small amount of tilt .

This tilting also rose the center stage sound which I also liked.

It is what worked for me in my room, it may not be beneficial for most. but we all have to work with the room we have

Bottom line it is all about enjoying the music