Jump to content

FS Heresy Prototype, Ebony: $600: A Primer on Garage Sale Etiquette


DCaIrvine
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators

If you comment about any of the posts above, please try and picture that this is your listing, what do you consider to be over the line. Also, please keep in mind, there have been at least 10 personal feuds in the Garage Sale section since I have been doing this. One member craps on another member's post, the other craps back at that member's post. They ran for years. So what amount of pointing out flaws do you want? Was the comment that started the derailment that the crossover was upside down unacceptable? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

WTF are you talking about?  Who made you king?

Apparently another point of view of this subject.

 

@jimjimbo I don't know if you were watching this thread, in it's original form or not (I don't recall any posts from you in there), but I would be interested in what you thought about some of the early posts that commented on the speaker (they are now at the top of this thread) - about the cross over being upside down, the screw heads having [something, can't remember], that it had been taken apart, etc.

 

And then, your thoughts about the one or two members who were posting about their thoughts on the pricing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Apparently another point of view of this subject.

 

@jimjimbo I don't know if you were watching this thread, in it's original form or not (I don't recall any posts from you in there), but I would be interested in what you thought about some of the early posts that commented on the speaker (they are now at the top of this thread) - about the cross over being upside down, the screw heads having [something, can't remember], that it had been taken apart, etc.

 

And then, your thoughts about the one or two members who were posting about their thoughts on the pricing.

Well, my thoughts are very simple in this regard.  Thread crapping should be expressly forbidden.  Nothing other than positive commentary should be permitted.  If you don't like the price, or the condition of the unit, keep scrolling and STFU.   I feel the OP should have the option to ask the moderators to delete posts within their thread.   Not much else to say I guess.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
23 hours ago, billybob said:

Guess what it comes down to is, if you cannot say something nice. In the TOS, it does mention somewhere about not bashing another's choice of audio equipment.

A little bit vague but, sure I have said something before along the line over time that was questionable.

And now coming down to perception of issue.

If issue it becomes is, garage sale is mostly a hands off over time for other than self moderation.

It has generally been left to members and hope it can remain so.

Have appreciated power to do our own thing here and would like it to remain mostly our members domain.

Now that I have taken a dump on OPs topic. All I got.

 

 

 

 

 

You memory on that is incorrect that Garage Sale has been self moderation. It's why there is a TOS at the Top of the Section, it's Why there is a Pinned Post from Chad  again about the TOS, it was because there was constant problems.

 

Self-moderation, to whatever extent it exists, maybe you can point me to some examples where things turned out good with a gentle "hey we don't do that here."? No moderator is going to live in here and monitor, they don't anywhere else in the Forum, they certainly not going to do it here, you don't need to worry about that. The problem is that you all had one last night that was just unwilling to listen to you guys.

 

Again, how long should it go on in a FOR Sale thread of YOURS before it gets squashed. When it does, do you want the noble attempts at self moderation to remain in your For Sale listing?

 

So to clarify, this has never been a "self moderated" section of the Forum. It has always had problems, thus major terms of service revamp. It has run very good since then, with a minor hiccup or two. Major violations have always been handled by moderators, because there has been a train wreak, despite the best efforts of those in here. 

 

If there were a major problem in here again, the next step wouldn't be moderators stepping in, the next step would be for the entire section to go away. That is the premise you need to be operating under if self moderation is how you want things to go in here. The problem you have is that you can list a for sale item with zero posts (other audio forums require a minimum of 50). The other is that prospective buyers can come in with zero posts. How do you self-moderate against fraudsters?

 

Our focus in Garage Sale is to prevent fraud, and it's a constant battle. There are several pinned posts about in this section. Next, is someone butt hurt over a transaction, which is clearly prohibited but gets violated every once in awhile. The little jabs back and forth you guys have, we could care less about.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, my thoughts are very simple in this regard.  Thread crapping should be expressly forbidden.  Nothing other than positive commentary should be permitted.  If you don't like the price, or the condition of the unit, keep scrolling and STFU.   I feel the OP should have the option to ask the moderators to delete posts within their thread.   Not much else to say I guess.

Appreciate the feedback. I thought what you articulated 

 

Thread crapping should be absolutely forbidden, price especially, has been the consensus in here for decades.

 

I'm trying to figure out what this "self-moderation" thing is all about. I'm not in here unless there is a train wreck. A couple of months ago I recall putting someone's post and thread back together because it went off the rails. 

 

Are you all constantly having to tell people quit thread crapping, etc.? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, richieb said:

When, and if, I sell the Jubilees I plan on pricing them so high so as to have the “shock and awe” effect. Beyond belief as to cause both brain and finger paralysis - 

Would you take a blank check? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
43 minutes ago, richieb said:

When, and if, I sell the Jubilees I plan on pricing them so high so as to have the “shock and awe” effect. Beyond belief as to cause both brain and finger paralysis - 

LOL.

 

So when you do, and their finger paralysis subsides, do you want comments in your listing about how crazy the price is to "help" you, or would you prefer that they just keep moving along?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Travis In Austin changed the title to FS Heresy Prototype, Ebony: $600: A Primer on Garage Sale Etiquette
1 hour ago, RickD said:

Would you take a blank check? 

 

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

LOL.

 

So when you do, and their finger paralysis subsides, do you want comments in your listing about how crazy the price is to "help" you, or would you prefer that they just keep moving along?


Blank check? Signed, bank cleared and deposited- of course.

Comments - oh my yes please. Always use some levity ‘round here - 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, richieb said:

 


Blank check? Signed, bank cleared and deposited- of course.

Comments - oh my yes please. Always use some levity ‘round here - 

Didn't  say anything about cleared. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I enjoyed the original post. 💩 Lol!

 

Yes, I may have been wrong and a little too strong. Happy gentleman showed more maturity than I.

Wrong about alot lately. Not the first time here.

Maybe leaving it to more tactful members is best. Thanks, anyhow...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...