Tuning ALK's Extreme Slope Networks for best sound,

RickD

Hello - I am looking for suggestions on setting the ES networks for best sound. My RME dac has a built in  5 band graphic equalizer which I set to flat, and my Mac 352 has 5 eq adjustments which I set to the default detent. My mid range seems a bit harsh. I have Volti's wood horn and BMS 4592 drivers. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed in tuning. Such as what is the best recording to use as a test track?

Rick

9 hours ago, RickD said:

Hello - I am looking for suggestions on setting the ES networks for best sound. My RME dac has a built in  5 band graphic equalizer which I set to flat, and my Mac 352 has 5 eq adjustments which I set to the default detent. My mid range seems a bit harsh. I have Volti's wood horn and BMS 4592 drivers. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed in tuning. Such as what is the best recording to use as a test track?

Rick

Which autoformer taps are you currently using?  If I remember correctly, I was using -12db at the least to tame those high sensitivity drivers.

Mike 

8 hours ago, mboxler said:

Which autoformer taps are you currently using?  If I remember correctly, I was using -12db at the least to tame those high sensitivity drivers.

Mike 

black 3, red -1. I'll try to bump it upward and see what happens.

I have ALK on my Cornwalls with 4592 mids. I set the autoformer to -12.  Do you crossovers have the adjustable L Pad(?) I set mine to -7 or -9.  Setting these 2 adjustments is huge, keep playing with them till you find the right settings for your ears

Well , I can start at 12 or 13 and work my way down. I have the boards with the auto-transformer sitting on top of the Khorns. Maybe my settings are not yet spot on, but the Khorns have never sounded this good and I bought them new in '87.