Epic CF ?

davis419b

If you can find a pair of CF-3 or CF-4 of any series for a decent price you’re in business.

But those with a discerning taste will insist on Series 1. As they progressed they lost a couple Hz in the low end and the components were more economically sourced. 

I had CF-3 version/series 2 and they absolutely pounded. In the sweet spot the imaging of the WTW or D’Appolito arrangement really grabs you by the boo-boo.

• Haha 1

CF4 V1 are the most desirable. These things are WAY overachievers, the 4 is what I owned and it absolutely trounced my KLF 30's and other heritage speakers I had. This is of course subjective to my ears in my listening room. I got scared about not being able to find replacement drivers so I sold them, mistake.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

What do a pair of CF4s go fro nowadays. Never heard or owned any pair of epics. What do they compare to in the heritage line?  Guessing they might be closer to RF7s? 

Bought my pair of CF4's for $800 but they did need some work. A pair in excellent shape would be closer to $1200, especially version 1's.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, geoff. said:

The length of the port tubes is the easiest.

Series/version 1 actually have length, series 3 are just holes.

...hold out for a pair of CF-3s of the rarer CF-4s, I don’t think the CF-2s will punch like you deserve. They will image amazingly though.

can you clarify this? every set of cf2 3 & 4 i have seen dont have just holes for ports. the later series got shorter ports vs the V1 that had longer ports but none of them were just holes, like on the chorus that were just holes in the wood.

also, what do you mean by "more economically sourced components" in later versions? the mid/tweet driver was the same in all versions as far as i know.  a slight crossover change & a lighter woofer cone material for the V3 was the only component change & different wires since they stopped using the clear monster cable that was prone to corrosion problems.        

On 9/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, geoff. said:

Series/version 1 actually have length, series 3 are just holes.

Hello all,

I owned a CF3 pair V2 that was in need of refinishing.  While doing research, I came across much information on the different versions.  In regards to the port length, it was roughly 3 inches deep on the V2.  The V1, if I remember correctly, was closer to the 5-6" length.  In addition, the V1 and V2 had more grayish horns while the V3 had the black horns.  As far as crossover components are concerned, I didn't do any digging into the difference.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Cf3s in my old office that I have listened to every day for the last. 5 years.  

I recently down sized to a smaller office and no longer have room for theses gems. So I’ve been demoing smaller bookshelf speakers from my collection in my new office as replacements. What a let down. I’d gotten so used to the Cf3 s that I may be unable to live with anything else.  Seriously.  In a seated position they image as close to live as just about anything.   Even my Rb-75s sound hollow in comparison -  I have A-B ed them side by side.

So now I’m looking for a shrink ray gun to get these beautiful monsters to fit in my new office.  

Everyone should own at least one pair of the Cfs.  There is a difference in the low end of each model, but Roy nailed the imaging in all of them.  If you can find em, buy em.  They will become more scarce with time and hold their value well.  Did I mention the sound great too?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JoeDirt said:

So I’ve been demoing smaller bookshelf speakers from my collection in my new office as replacements. What a let down. I’d gotten so used to the Cf3 s that I may be unable to live with anything else. Even my Rb-75s sound hollow in comparison -  I have A-B ed them side by side.

Have you tried a pair of RC-7's? I think that's about the best it gets in the small speaker world from Klipsch without a sub. 

• Like 1

I’ve had two pairs of CF-4 series 2 and still have my series 1 CF-4s. They are amazing. I’ve bought and sold Heresys, Cornwalls, Klipschorns, Fortes, Quartets, and Choruses but the Epics stay.

There is definitely a sound difference between Series 1 and 2 but it’s small and can be mitigated with crossover changes (you should be replacing caps by now anyway) and new port tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3