Epic CF ?

davis419b

6 hours ago, geoff. said:

I’m looking for a pair of CF-5.

Dual 15” woofers and the K-510 in the middle crossing at 800 hz.

Anyone got the plans yet? LOL!

KPT-904's just need to reconfigure the layout of the cabinet. 

• Like 2

Someone posted a couple of years ago a speaker pic of the de appolito, but not as efficient, as the Roy CFs. No plans though. Could well be posted in the CF thread.

Since talking 510 horn, guess 

above poster with the 904 idea could work.

Roy may or not have considered a 5...

Coffee time...

11 hours ago, geoff. said:

I’m looking for a pair of CF-5.

Dual 15” woofers and the K-510 in the middle crossing at 800 hz.

Anyone got the plans yet? LOL!

What you are looking for has been around for some time over at JTR speakers , the 215RM.    Which might be my next speaker some day. 

2 15" drivers flanking a coaxial horn, so, now a three way design.     

download.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 001 said:

why  would  you cross at   800hz  -  not debating  , just asking 

Debate is good.

Could go higher, but I think lower would be pushing fatigue at live levels. Most of the pro stuff lets the woofers exercise a little higher and I am sure there is a reason for it. 

I think the CF-4 crosses at 1500 hz.

On 9/26/2021 at 8:12 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

What do a pair of CF4s go fro nowadays. Never heard or owned any pair of epics. What do they compare to in the heritage line?  Guessing they might be closer to RF7s? 

I picked up my CF-4s in February for $1500. They were pretty mint and version 2, as I'd expect for that price. From what I understand, version 1 is the best, with 2 being near as makes no difference as good, and 3 being notably not as good as 1 and 2. I think my $1500 was on the high side, but like I said pretty mint, good version, and I looked for months to find a pair in the color I wanted so I was ready to jump even at that price. Here in the Minneapolis metro there are some Oak CF-3s for $800 on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/302311454620549/

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 1:52 AM, 001 said:

why  would  you cross at   800hz  -  not debating  , just asking 

I would think that it would be desirable to have your crossover as low as possible.  800hz is definitely in the human voice range, and I think the benefit is to get as much of the audio spectrum into the compression driver / horn setup as you can.  Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the mid horn/driver pair has less distortion than a woofer / subwoofer cone. 

I play around with an online tone generator when chatting about tonal ranges, or working on crossovers (just so that I have a mental gauge for what "X" hz works out to be):  https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

• Like 1