LA SCALA Junk Picked

Alan L

If the stain looks good to you and you like it, there is no real reason to change it. If the stain did its job, you wouldn't really be able to remove it easily. You could clean them well and use something like Watco Danish Oil. It penetrates and seals the wood. 

Lots of options, limited only by the contents of your wallet.

They look in a lot better shape than the ones I have now.

And welcome to nuthouse, uh...Klipsch forums.

• Like 3

^^Agreed^^.  They’re your speakers.  You own them, not the other way around.  Enjoy listening to your La Scalas, and by spending time on here you’ll get lots of ideas, along with seeing what other happy Scala owners have done.  La Scalas were the speakers that prompted me to find the Forum, and it’s been a great fifteen years here.

Congrats on getting your great new-to-you speakers, and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave A said:
10 hours ago, AndreG. said:

I didn´t get the grok-part... Sorry, I´m German...😝

Grok is a hipster way of saying understand. You know cool people have to have their own inside lingo so they can self identify to others of like mind.

Grok... from the book 'Stranger in a Strange Land'. It came into use from its context in the story... and Dave is certainly correct. Robert Heinlein wrote the novel.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Alan L said:

So I have one more question. Now that I know how they were in their OEM format, I see they were not stained. Someone did use a stain on them but did not use varnish. It is just the stain. I'm pretty fair with finishing, do you think it would be at the speakers best interest to put them back to the OEM finish? 

Those look great! How can anyone dump these in the trash?!? 

They were raw birch, right? That means Klipsch left it up to the buyer if they´d be stained, verneered or just oiled or laquered in pure birch. So there is no need to go back to OEM. Any way YOU want them is OEM now. For my part, i like the color of the wood as is now, i would just oil and wax them, or give them several layers of laquer. Awesome find!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dave A said:

Grok is a hipster way of saying understand. You know cool people have to have their own inside lingo so they can self identify to others of like mind.

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

Grok... from the book 'Stranger in a Strange Land'. It came into use from its context in the story... and Dave is certainly correct. Robert Heinlein wrote the novel.

Thanks Dave & Marvel! Have put up my reading Heinlein for too long, have "Stranger in a Strange land" and "Starshiptroopers" sitting in my shelf....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Thanks Dave & Marvel! Have put up my reading Heinlein for too long, have "Stranger in a Strange land" and "Starshiptroopers" sitting in my shelf....

It can be hard to believe that both books were written by the same man, until you realize Starship Troopers is satirical, something that doesn’t really come across in the movie.  Stranger in a Strange Land is definitely my preferred book, of those two Heinlein works.

• Like 1

These are fantastic looking Lascalas. I wonder with what (nonsense) these great speakers were replaced in the church. There often seem to decide about decluttering people who have no idea. Imagine you had been there a week later and the Lascalas would now be in the bulky waste.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, KT88 said:

These are fantastic looking Lascalas. I wonder with what (nonsense) these great speakers were replaced in the church. There often seem to decide about decluttering people who have no idea. Imagine you had been there a week later and the Lascalas would now be in the bulky waste.

Yes I know, people had no idea what they were seeing. Two groups of people passed them by, one took a old TV and another couple took a dresser... They speakers stayed..  I can't describe how I felt when I hooked them up and heard there was nothing wrong with them! One of those moments if ya know what I mean!! 

• Like 1