RB-81 vs. RP-600M Help for 2 way listening.

Dr Morbius

6 hours ago, Dr Morbius said:

Has anyone listened to a RB-81?  With all the hoopla over the RP-600M I would think the RB-81 is the better, deeper, richer sounding speaker.  Or maybe the crossover in the RP-600M is more sophisticated and put out better sound?

I actually bought a pair brand new a few years back and thought they were ok similar to the previous models RB-35 / RB-5's. I ended up finding a good deal on a pair of RB-75's and they were head and shoulders above the 81's which got sold almost right away the difference was that big. Of course I didn't stop there ending up finding a match for my RC-7 center speaker and used those as a stereo pair vertically just rotated the horn and they sounded much fuller than the 75's, more "tower-like." 

My advice since that whole experience is find a pair of RC-7's if looking for a bookshelf speaker they're just slightly taller than the 75's with an extra 8" woofer. 

I've never heard the RP-600's myself and have been curious about them with all the rave reviews out there, might pick a pair up and give them a test drive soon. My brother is selling his house and down-sizing so he gave me back my old KLF-30's and told me to find him something smaller for his new place, thinking the 600's and a small sub might fit the bill. 

• Like 3

The Klipsch RB 81 MK II enjoys cult status in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. It is still preferable to buy from stock than the successor models.The general crossover frequency is 60 hz if you want to incorporate the subwoofer R110 / 115 R.  It is best to add an antimode to optimally integrate the subbass.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

The Klipsch RB 81 MK II enjoys cult status in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Don't get me wrong they are very decent speakers I was happy with them until I was able to compare them head to head with the 75's-- once heard it cannot be unheard the larger and much higher quality horn driver is dramatically better IMO. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, jjptkd said:
40 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

The Klipsch RB 81 MK II enjoys cult status in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Don't get me wrong they are very decent speakers I was happy with them until I was able to compare them head to head with the 75's-- once heard it cannot be unheard the larger and much higher quality horn driver is dramatically better IMO.

Fwiw, the RB-75 may be the best bang-for-your-buck Klipsch speaker out there (imo) because they are excellent for mains and are a tremendous choice for surrounds with various versions of the RF-7s.

• Like 1