From comfortable Heritage to a new Reference: RF-5s

erik2A3

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

Michael, You wouldn´t happen to have some photos of your work-progress then?

I don't remember if I took photos when I did the foam treatments.  I think I had photos when I installed the XO's though, because they're actually on the back of the baffles rather than above the terminal cup.  The foam that I used on the back was actually trimmed foam from the wrapping of the bass port (because the need of room for the XO).  If I get a chance to take them apart again, I'll snap photos though.

• Like 1

I am the original owner of my RF-5's which I bought about 20 years ago, they still look like new and sound even better. I've always enjoyed the sound of my RF-5's and as I've upgraded my system over the years my RF-5's are the only thing that I haven't changed they just keep sounding much better along with the other upgrades I have made. I've made a lot of changes to my system and done a lot of upgrading but my RF-5's just sound more amazing with the upgrades. The RF-5's are a very well balanced and natural sounding speakers that work so well for both 2 channel and home theater. For music they can have a very nice live sound, with incredible detail and great bass, they are great sounding speakers. Some people will complain about them being bright or fatiguing and if they aren't well paired to other equipment or set up properly they definitely can be, but when they are paired and adjusted well they will sound very natural, beautiful and amazing. Great speakers!

• Like 4

Rich_Guy,

That is great to hear.  I installed RF-7 horn lenses and drivers over the weekend, and there is definitely a more expansive and open sound - even without changes (yet) to the crossovers.  I have the RF-7 network schematic, and it's pretty straightforward to build, likely using the same board as the OEM RF-5 crossovers.  I ordered inductors, caps, and a couple of resistors this morning, so looking forward to finishing this modification!

There is a series notch/resonant peak filter across the driver (in parallel with it), which may or may not fit on the stock crossover board.  If not, I can install it on a small board inside the cabinet, and run leads to the driver from it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts in this great RF series speaker!  I agree that it's not just a good, but really kind of an astounding cost/performance ratio.  Even with the RF-7 compression driver it doesn't seem overly bright or forward to me.  It's the kind of sound I like, but I can easily install an variable L-pad in order to attenuate as needed, if needed.

I used to run a Heresy center channel with both our K-horns and La Scalas in the past, and the person who sold me the RF-5s had a seemingly new and right-out-of-the-box RC-7, as well as a great SW-12 sub, and I bought everything - RF-5s, the RC-7, and the sub for $500.  Far and away the best sound I have EVER gotten for such a modest price....and the 5s actually do incredibly well on their own without the subwoofer.  The scale and expanse of the sound from these things is just so far beyond their physical dimensions -- IMO.  They amaze me!

• Like 1