Discussions About Price for Heritage, etc.

makos

Lets face it: prices on heritage Klipsch speakers have gotten out of hand. I have 2 pairs that could sell for triple what I paid but I didn't buy them to make money so I will continue to enjoy them and maybe improve them instead of moving up the food chain because I cannot afford to. Its a free market so whatever someone is willing to pay dictates value.

• Like 1

Can it not be hardwired so to speak that text automatically comes across into a garage sale posting that has rules about thread crapping and price discussions in a negative light?   Seems to be a thing over and over and over. Wouldnt it save you and others a lot of time @dwilawyer?  Yes, we all know a vintage pair of LA scalas for 5k isn't even in the ballpark. Let some people dream. That's fine. PM them and throw them an offer with your number if you are a buyer. The thing that can be irritating in particular is that the negative comments on pricing are usually from those that have no intention of purchasing the gear to begin with. End of short rant for now. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Can it not be hardwired so to speak that text automatically comes across into a garage sale posting that has rules about thread crapping and price discussions in a negative light?   Seems to be a thing over and over and over. Wouldnt it save you and others a lot of time @dwilawyer?  Yes, we all know a vintage pair of LA scalas for 5k isn't even in the ballpark. Let some people dream. That's fine. PM them and throw them an offer with your number if you are a buyer. The thing that can be irritating in particular is that the negative comments on pricing are usually from those that have no intention of purchasing the gear to begin with. End of short rant for now. 

I wish that were the case. 

What's worse is that when people try and help by a gentle reminder, and then there are 10 posts going back and forth about Heritage prices, this that and the other thing.

8 hours ago, makos said:

Lets face it: prices on heritage Klipsch speakers have gotten out of hand. I have 2 pairs that could sell for triple what I paid but I didn't buy them to make money so I will continue to enjoy them and maybe improve them instead of moving up the food chain because I cannot afford to. Its a free market so whatever someone is willing to pay dictates value.

Yet there will still be folks that wanna argue that your price is too high. Despite it being totally on par with most everyone elses price. Things like "you'll eventually find an uninformed buyer". Well guess what. I'm not an uninformed seller.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I wish that were the case. 

What's worse is that when people try and help by a gentle reminder, and then there are 10 posts going back and forth about Heritage prices, this that and the other thing.

There should be zero negative discussion regarding price in any garage sale post.  If there is, that person should be warned, banned or put on moderated posts.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

There should be zero negative discussion regarding price in any garage sale post.  If there is, that person should be warned, banned or put on moderated posts.

Or condition. Unless the owner asks, there is no need to point out the condition that something might be less than perfect. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Or condition. Unless the owner asks, there is no need to point out the condition that something might be less than perfect. 

What about, I see it frequently, the seller says, "it has the normal scuff and dings you see with a speaker this old" and someone asks if they could post photos of what they are talking about?

What about those posts you all get from time to time, "these were my husband's, he bought them in 1976, and I have no idea what they are worth, I did a little checking and they now sell for almost $17,000, so I was thinking $10,000 would be a good price?" The OP is inviting comments, honest ones, right. It would be appropriate to comment?

What about, and you have all seen this, Heritage, really nice, and they are listed for 3x market by someone who has joined just to sell their overpriced speakers. An hour goes by (okay a day), no interest, and they post, "well I have got nothing but low ball offers, these are priced really good,  can't believe you idiots are not jumping at these. I know everything there is know about prices, Klipsch, audio, etc., etc."  What's an appropriate response to that? That was in the last year as I recall, a lady, then her husband jumped in. In that case, someone very politely said, you may want to do some more research on pricing, WVU may have shared spread sheet data.

Jim and others just helped a lady not undersell a pair of Chorus (on Craigslist, her post was not in Garage Sale).

We want those that use Garage Sale to be on an equal footing, good for the goose, good for the gander.

But we don't want to be a haven for dealers, fraudsters, quick buck artists, etc. 

There is a lot of grey area, but it just seemed we had a rush on price comments right out of the gate.

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

What about, I see it frequently, the seller says, "it has the normal scuff and dings you see with a speaker this old" and someone asks if they could post photos of what they are talking about?

Many times, I have asked for pictures of the worst spots. I would rather be pleasantly surprised than sorely disappointed.

What about those posts you all get from time to time, "these were my (loved one's), he bought them in 1976, and I have no idea what they are worth, I did a little checking and they now sell for almost $17,000, so I was thinking $10,000 would be a good price?" The OP is inviting comments, honest ones, right. It would be appropriate to comment?

This happens a lot, as you know. It seems that this crowd typically extends a sympathetic welcome to the seller, then, because it was asked, gives a neutral and honest opinion. Only lately have we had the opinion that the new norm of LaScala is $4k when they are still selling between $1K and $2K.

can't believe you idiots are not jumping at these. I know everything there is know about prices, Klipsch, audio, etc., etc."  What's an appropriate response to that?

Capitalize on the opportunity to spew personal attacks and asking if they were born stupid or worked hard to become so stupid. 

JK... 

• Like 2

Maybe Garage Sale should be set up like it's done at Audiokarma where no one can reply to the ad for the 7 day duration it runs.  Once it's ran its course, you can re-run it again but the system doesn't save your listing....that's on the person to do.  I enjoy that as I can put stuff on there and no one says a word about it publicly and forces someone to send a message.  That was the best thing they did in Barter Town as it doesn't keep all the old crap sitting there forever.  If it's sold and completed, it moves to another area....still with no comments.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Maybe Garage Sale should be set up like it's done at Audiokarma where no one can reply to the ad for the 7 day duration it runs.  Once it's ran its course, you can re-run it again but the system doesn't save your listing....that's on the person to do.  I enjoy that as I can put stuff on there and no one says a word about it publicly and forces someone to send a message.  That was the best thing they did in Barter Town as it doesn't keep all the old crap sitting there forever.  If it's sold and completed, it moves to another area....still with no comments.  

That's interesting, I can ask Luther about that. AK is 10x the size of our Forum, or it was the last time I talked to him about it. 

Do you have to have a minimum number of posts in there to do a listing? Do they charge for a listing (Klipsch would never charge, don't worry about that) just trying to see what's out there.

Can you rate the seller/buyer in AK?

49 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

That's interesting, I can ask Luther about that. AK is 10x the size of our Forum, or it was the last time I talked to him about it. 

Do you have to have a minimum number of posts in there to do a listing? Do they charge for a listing (Klipsch would never charge, don't worry about that) just trying to see what's out there.

Can you rate the seller/buyer in AK?

I believe you can give feedback in another area.  Now, one thing is that the only people who can sell in Barter Town are the paying "Subscribers" which is $25 a year.  This prevents every single poster from over crowding that area and not coming back again.  Maybe here it could be based on posts. Surely there is a way to prevent people from commenting on a thread....or I would think there would be.  

This also prevents the "Buddy Bump" system back to the top and keeps stupid comments out along with posters who just comment a word or two to increase their post count.  I'm sure there are more logistics to it but would think doable somehow.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

What about, and you have all seen this, Heritage, really nice, and they are listed for 3x market by someone who has joined just to sell their overpriced speakers. An hour goes by (okay a day), no interest, and they post, "well I have got nothing but low ball offers, these are priced really good,  can't believe you idiots are not jumping at these. I know everything there is know about prices, Klipsch, audio, etc., etc."  What's an appropriate response to that? That was in the last year as I recall, a lady, then her husband jumped in. In that case, someone very politely said, you may want to do some more research on pricing, WVU may have shared spread sheet data.

And that.......

16 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Isn't it imperative to request pics of damage that's mentioned but not documented?  I get the same feeling from those posts as the ones that don't post prices.

14 hours ago, avguytx said:

@dwilawyerI wholeheartedly agree with the above.  Certainly don't need to make the Garage Sale section a paid subscriber section.  I would think that @Chadcould code such that For Sale posts do not permit commenting and would age out over the course of say 21-30 days.

• Like 2

Comments really don't help a bit.  The person interested in buying something from a listing is either interested in it or not and, if interested, starts the dialect.  Comments on something for sale should have no bearing on helping an item sell.  If that were the case, how did classified ads in the newspapers work for all these years?  Or Craigslist ads? Or Facebook Marketplace? 

• Like 2