Discussions About Price for Heritage, etc.

makos

9 hours ago, dwilawyer said:
13 hours ago, Zack R said:

I thought the whole point of the garage sale was to make sure the speakers go to a good home for a fair price :)

I think most would still agree with that. 

I agree on the good home part. There have been flippers who grab great deals off of here to only flip, and that is not ensuring the good home part and it's keeping members from a chance to upgrade or experience something different. Also, there has been members who buy only to part out the speakers, which isn't something I support.  

As we know, a fair price is subjective. In the Garage Sale section, price is no one's business except for the seller and buyer. In the Alert section, it's open to discussion, unless it's a know member's ad, which has happened a few times. 

I remember the time when someone posted a great deal from a CL find in the Alert section, and someone on here contacted the seller to claim the price was too low. At that time, I voiced that it was not the right (which turned into a squabble) to interfere with Klipsch Forum members trying to score a great deal, and I still feel that it was wrong. Similar to someone willing to cut John Q Public a better deal than fellow forum members: There's nothing laudable about it. 

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

There have been flippers who grab great deals off of here to only flip, and that is not ensuring the good home part and it's keeping members from a chance to upgrade or experience something different. Also, there has been members who buy only to part out the speakers, which isn't something I support.  

I guess I'm too much of a capitalist to find fault with that. Fwiw, I wheeled-n-dealed to buy my speakers and when I sell them want the best price I can get.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 7:35 AM, jimjimbo said:

There should be zero negative discussion regarding price in any garage sale post.  If there is, that person should be warned, banned or put on moderated posts.

Which unfortunately is never the case when it happens, at least not until the entire thread is left in shambles, and the #1 reason I stopped posting my stuff in the Garage Sale thread. I have yet to see where someone who trashed one of these sales threads, either in public or private, was put into timeout.

Usually I do not see direct attacks, but instead more of a line of questioning designed to set up the attack. The type of post I see happen quite often are when a would be protagonist asks an open ended question, designed to bait the OP into making an uncomfortable, but public statement, which the protagonist then continues into attacking the OP.  If the OP chooses to leave the question unanswered, a viewer could then potentially perceive this unanswered questioning either as affirmation, or as being an unresponsive seller.

I often use current market rates for my items. Unless it says firm, offers are open. I generally offer concierge type service in my listings, such as shipping options, personal delivery options, fees, special packing or etc. I doubt those who continually go around repeatedly thread-crapping garage sale pricing never look into what it takes to get a product safe and securely into the hands of another person, when you don't live in a large metro area with plenty of local buyers. 

I fully support the XX days moratorium on posts, including the seller, in all newly created Garage Sale listings. Make it happen!

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

have yet to see where someone who trashed one of these sales threads, either in public or private, was put into timeout.

We don't announce when that happens, but it just did, for 60 days.

PMs there is no way to regulate. 

It's easier for Chad to make it just all go away, so you have to strike a balance.

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

Again, this garage sale thing is a non issue.

We know enough to call in for help whenever appropriate.

Cheers and thanks!

Designate a mod or 2 just for garage sale only with delete power.

If becomes an issue. Problem solved.

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

Again, this garage sale thing is a non issue.

We know enough to call in for help whenever appropriate.

Cheers and thanks!

Again, you are incorrect, and it is still an issue and will continue to be an issue until the format of the garage sale section is modified and improved.

Some of you have suggested that "the moderators should do this and the moderators should do that ....". Perhaps we should not be so free in delegating their time. They are not Klipsch employees (and even if they were ....). Rather, they are volunteers and have day jobs. I suspect they also have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon. A little bit of common sense on our part could go a long way. 

As a side note, why do some of us always seem to be at each other's throats all the time?

9 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Some of you have suggested that "the moderators should do this and the moderators should do that ....". Perhaps we should not be so free in delegating their time. They are not Klipsch employees (and even if they were ....). Rather, they are volunteers and have day jobs. I suspect they also have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon. A little bit of common sense on our part could go a long way. 

As a side note, why do some of us always seem to be at each other's throats all the time?

First of all Tom, no one is asking the moderators to do anything today on a Saturday afternoon, I think you are misconstruing the conversation.  Secondly, I’m pretty sure that we all know that they are volunteers and not paid employees. However, several of them spend quite a bit of time on this forum as is fairly obvious.  Thirdly, common sense is all that is being asked for here so that the garage sale section of this forum is free from trash talk and negative commentary from those who most of the time have no serious intent on purchasing.

• Like 3