2C22/7193 Tubes

jcmusic

16 hours ago, jcmusic said:

I been using 6J5GT tubes in my pre amp for a few years now with great results, now I am gonna try these 2C22/7193 tubes in the same place as I am told they are quite good!!!

Anyone else here using these?

Yes as drivers for my 1625 set amp with led bias for the 6j5gts. They are basically half a section of a 6sn7. Not as expensive. They are great. It doesn't get much better than 6sn7 6j5 for preamps. Love em...  Not familiar with 7193 but will check it out.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.244135f3d6902211d94a816e841b0189.jpg

8 hours ago, seti said:

Yes as drivers for my 1625 set amp with led bias for the 6j5gts. They are basically half a section of a 6sn7. Not as expensive. They are great. It doesn't get much better than 6sn7 6j5 for preamps. Love em...  Not familiar with 7193 but will check it out.

Seti,

Are you using the 2C22's or the 6J5's?

8 hours ago, seti said:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.244135f3d6902211d94a816e841b0189.jpg

On 9/29/2021 at 6:26 AM, jcmusic said:

I am gonna try these 2C22/7193 tubes in the same place as I am told they are quite good!!!

Anyone else here using these?

I have never heard of them before your post, but I know there were a few variants of the 6SN7 made for specialized purposes, such as the 2C22 for VHF. The two are similar in specs, but not identical, however for audio, no circuit changes should be needed. 

The few things I read about them just now included all the typical audiophool adjectives about tubes. If the 2C22 were $1, it might be worth stocking up on them since USA NOS 6J5's are getting more expensive, but the 2C22 seem to be the same price or more than a 6J5, plus it cost more to implement since you need 2 top caps. 

The 6F8G (6SN7) and 6CG8 (6SL7) are also close cousins and can be used as substitutes, but the price on these seems to have skyrocketed lately. I remember buying them for $4USD, now eBay has them for $40~$50USD. Good ol'e eBay... driving up prices and inflation (at least for audio gear) for over 25 years. 

23 hours ago, Curious_George said:

I have never heard of them before your post, but I know there were a few variants of the 6SN7 made for specialized purposes, such as the 2C22 for VHF. The two are similar in specs, but not identical, however for audio, no circuit changes should be needed. 

The few things I read about them just now included all the typical audiophool adjectives about tubes. If the 2C22 were $1, it might be worth stocking up on them since USA NOS 6J5's are getting more expensive, but the 2C22 seem to be the same price or more than a 6J5, plus it cost more to implement since you need 2 top caps. 

The 6F8G (6SN7) and 6CG8 (6SL7) are also close cousins and can be used as substitutes, but the price on these seems to have skyrocketed lately. I remember buying them for $4USD, now eBay has them for $40~$50USD. Good ol'e eBay... driving up prices and inflation (at least for audio gear) for over 25 years. 

My first attempt at replacing the 6SN7 tubes was to use the 6F8G tubes with an adapter, these sounded great and better than any 6SN7 I ever heard. 

After that I discovered the 6J5 tubes, I been using them with adapters for about 3 years now and they sound more linear than the anything I have tried...

Only problem is most are very microphonic, so I am gonna try the 2C22 in the hopes that they will not be as microphonic...

On 10/2/2021 at 8:00 AM, Curious_George said:

Nice seti. What output iron is used for the 1625 SET? 

One electron UBT-2 4800 - 8 ohm.

The power transformers and chokes are potted paeco from some HP test gear. I wish I had more of it..