Cornwall going rate these days - MN

iaRIVR

I've had Forte II and Chorus II and they were fantastic. The problem I had with the Chorus IIs, and maybe this was too influenced by what I've read, was that I couldn't get the bass to sound right at the volumes I mostly listen to. Which is not loud. I picked up a pair of Wharfedale towers and even they had the cleaner, tighter bass I was looking for even though of course no where near as good overall. I had a chance to pick up a pair of KEF Reference 3.2s and they are fantastic, very clean, really beautiful speakers. Paired with a Cambridge Audio 840w.

But I feel like I'm missing the dynamic, live sound of the Klipsch. Ideally something that sounds full and engaging at lower volumes. Also wanting to go back to something more efficient as I am getting ready to build an Aleph J which is 25wpc. My space is small, about 11x18, and they have to go on the narrow wall so placement is limited but something that can go against the wall would be an advantage.

Would Cornwalls be a good fit? I haven't seen too many lately - and often they are listed very high and I have no idea what they actually sell for. Any thoughts on a fair price for these? Not perfect/mint but passable condition.

Personally, for Cornwall I or II I'd be comfortable paying in the $800-1200 range for fully functioning 8+/10 condition.

There was a beater pair on the MPLS craigslist a month ago for $650.  It was missing the input terminals on both speakers, one had a missing dust cap and other various cosmetic issues.

That would have been perfect, too bad I didn't even see it though you have about 10 minutes to respond on CL these days. That range works for me, I've seen lots listed at 2-3k and that is more than I would pay. Thanks, and if you see some close let me know. Going up north to grab those La Scalas?

Although prices on Klipsch Heritage speakers have certainly crept up in the last few years, if you see a CW selling for 2-3K, it better be a CW III. Earlier models should go for under 1500.00 depending on condition. From your description it sounds like the speaker you are searching for. That said, there was a pair of Cornscalas listed here recently, not sure if they sold or not. This would be an excellent alternative and in many ways, better than a CW or CW II.

Shakey

In my experience, Cornwall 1 produce substantial bass at any volume. Maybe slightly “Loose”. I think my chorusii produce plenty of bass at any volume also, but a bit “tighter”. However the chorus ii really take some effort with placement and they sounded pretty terrible in my room until I got some acoustic treatments. 

Thanks all. If I could find them for $1k I would grab those in a heartbeat! CW are something I feel like I should try. I miss Klipsch.

Maybe I should have spent more time with the Chorus IIs, I think at lower volume in a smaller space it felt like a sports car stuck in traffic just begging to be unleashed. I'm also watching for a pair of Forte's, those seemed to fit the space a little better.

• Like 1

i paid $2k for a pair of pristine 1985 cwii's this spring in ct.

very satisfied.

they will maintain that value, without a doubt, as time passes.

there was line behind me if i had passed on them, and the seller held our deal though others offered more $, before i got there for pick up.