Why are costs of things going up?

juniper

Just a few examples.... Nasty snow crab 36$s a LB, used cars are about 20 percent higher than models that sold 3 years ago for less. plywood for 40$ a sheet, yet the local  store has so much of it it crazy. Bought a simple bowl of Thai soup and 2 egg rolls today 28$  Indian for 3  65$.  What happened to supply and demand! or is this just their pound of flesh after covid

• Moderators

Just checked on plywood today locally, $27.99 standard 4x8 sheet 3/4" thick, CDX or RTD whatever they call the sheeting grade these days. These are both down about $10-$15 from a few months ago.

Ground contact Treated was $42 a sheet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Just checked on plywood today locally, $27.99 standard 4x8 sheet 3/4" thick, CDX or RTD whatever they call the sheeting grade these days. These are both down about $10-$15 from a few months ago.

Ground contact Treated was $42 a sheet.

in our area , wood prices are coming down , and my local wood lumber yard , is expecting that prices  will fall back , closer  to what it was prior to Covid 

Miraculous you call it babe
You ain't seen nothing yet
They've got Pepsi in the Andes
Mcdonalds in Tibet
Yosemite's been turned into
A golf course for the ****
The Dead Sea is alive with rap
Between the Tigris and Euphrates
There's a leisure centre now
They've got all kinds of sports
They've got Bermuda shorts
The had sex in Pennsylvania
A Brazilian grew a tree
A doctor in Manhattan
Saved a dying man for free
It's a miracle
Another miracle
By the grace of God Almighty
And pressures of marketplace
The human race has civilized itself
It's a miracle
We've got a warehouse of butter
We've got oceans of wine
We've got famine when we need it
Got a designer crime
We've got Mercedes
We've got Porsche
Ferrari and Rolls Royce
We've got a choice
She said meet me
In the Garden of Gethsemane my dear
The Lord said Peter I can see
Your house from here
An honest man
Finally reaped what he had sown
And farmer in Ohio has just repaid a loan
It's a miracle
Another miracle
By the grace of God Almighty
And pressures of marketplace
The human race has civilized itself
It's a miracle
We cower in our shelters
With our hands over our ears
Lloyd-Webber's awful stuff
Runs for years and years and years
An earthquake hits the theatre
But the operetta lingers
Then the piano lids comes down
And break his ******* fingers
It's a miracle

There is a similar thread to this on AVS, though about why Marantz gear is so expensive.  I of course tried to be helpful and posted a review of a Marantz preamp that measured poorly on Auio Science Review.  https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/marantz-av7705-review-av-processor.25951/

Like, who cares about price increases if its not worth getting anyways. 😀

One thing someone posted I found of interest, is that 40 foot shipping containers used to cost $7000 and now cost $26,000.    

3 minutes ago, Shiva said:

One thing someone posted I found of interest, is that 40 foot shipping containers used to cost $7000 and now cost $26,000.    

Plenty of them stacked up off the coast of NY and CA.  Not enough truck drivers to move the goods or warehouses to store them.  Both issues are causing price increases as well. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shiva said:

There is a similar thread to this on AVS, though about why Marantz gear is so expensive.  I of course tried to be helpful and posted a review of a Marantz preamp that measured poorly on Auio Science Review.  https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/marantz-av7705-review-av-processor.25951/

Like, who cares about price increases if its not worth getting anyways. 😀

Used prices for name brand gear are higher if Made in the USA or Japan

Quality speaks for itself

I find it odd some believe we would be better off having the dollar pegged to some odd commodity prone to hoarding and mining decisions.

I believe anyone is free to convert their dollars to gold and back if they wish to continue their own personal gold standard.

15 hours ago, juniper said:

Bought a simple bowl of Thai soup and 2 egg rolls today 28$  

I have no idea why one bowl of soup and two egg rolls cost $28- insanity.

Maybe restaurant has to pay staff $30 per hour and customers absorbing cost. I don't know.

Snow crab leg prices? Eat king crab, much better.

Auto industry on track to lose $200B this year. Find out why.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, if you seek the answers, you will find. There are many reasons. Do a little research-production, origin of production, labor, money, logistics, politics, ...........

2 hours ago, Subway said:

I have no idea why one bowl of soup and two egg rolls cost $28- insanity.

Maybe restaurant has to pay staff $30 per hour and customers absorbing cost. I don't know.

Snow crab leg prices? Eat king crab, much better.

Auto industry on track to lose $200B this year. Find out why.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, if you seek the answers, you will find. There are many reasons. Do a little research-production, origin of production, labor, money, logistics, politics, ...........

Yes. There is no single simple answer to the question of current inflation. Other than the greed inherent in the system.

I believe a major contributing factor is big business attempting to recoup losses from the 2020 slow/shutdown. I can't do that so stop trying to make me pay for it. The money is gone with the time. Let's gather up the remains and move on. Sometimes sh!t just happens and it's irrevocable. Sucks but it is truth.

Many big businesses, agencies, officials, groups & individuals thrived/profited from lockdown/restrictions. 

Waiting for full-on automation to 'kick-in' and fill the void of job vacencies; also as a reaction to increasing min wage hikes. That's my last 2 cents.

How Many Restaurants Will Permanently Close This Year? - Restaurant Engine  2020

Nearly a third of California's restaurants permanently closed as pandemic set in - ABC7 Los Angeles 2021

• Thanks 1

A lot of factors going in to it all.  Not even going to get in to the supply chain of funds or currency, but that will be a really scary thought.  The good thing is, I think we're over the hump for the most part.   There is no shortage of wood around here and prices are continuing to come down some and hopefully back close to normal by Spring of '22.  Supply chain is the big issue, no one can get caught up. Almost get your Arse run over by a 18 wheeler lately on the interstate, well that because they're hiring anyone that can pass a pee test, get a CDL and back a trailer half azz that is. Did Amazon bowl your package down your sidewalk like you just saw on your Ring monitor?  Well that's because they're hiring anyone with a pulse too.  Covid shut down a big part of manufacturing, especially in factories, mills and anything union affiliated. 

Oh, also after the Govt bribe, many people figured out uncle Sam would pay them more to sit at home and accelerate their ailments, than to go to work. Then you have the 80% of crap that we use everyday from our good friends in Asia.  Yep, they just whacked, stacked and stuffed those poor people in their hovels and put a lock on the door and gate over there, so there goes our trinkets and more importantly, our chip builders. There goes little Johnny's Xbox for last years X-mas, doesn't look like it will be here this Xmas and the plethora of options GM cant pull off without chips for moms new Chevy Tahoe. We have fruit and Veggies here in the US dying on the vine.   Oh, and we have, I don't know, 200k or so company coming to visit this year, with another 100k to show in the remaining months and its a good thing they're all highly educated and skilled, because we need more intelligence here.  

So things just stopped for a while and a certain group thought now was the best time to throw a load of bones on the porch to make sure the dogs laid around instead of hunting.  Now the Dogs wont hunt, they're hoping their "master" stays around and will do whatever is necessary to make sure he keeps throwing those bones.   Meanwhile the Farmer that owns the Crop house, the dogs and pays the Master is going to go broke and the Dogs and Master have no clue they're going to be eating out of a creek shortly.

• Like 3

when i got mcdonalds earlier this week, i did a double take.

i never do a double take when purchasing food, like, ever. i never think about these things and yet apparently i unconsciously had to check my order when i got to the first window.

a big mac meal with a chocolate shake, an egg mcmuffin plus bacon and 10 nuggets came out to 25 dollars.

i mean, okay, judge me on my eating choices, whatever, but i dunno. it seems higher than before.

not a bean counter, though, so i could be wrong.