KLF 20 vs forte/heresy

Wkatsiotis

So I got them yesterday and have been doing a lot of listening today in my own house with my equipment and they definitely produce more bass and a wider soundstage than I’ve heard from any fortes or heresys. My only issue with them that I didn’t notice when I tested them at the sellers house is that I think something may be wrong with the left midrange horn. I’ve tried different speaker terminals and inputs on my stereo but I can’t help to notice the left just having a quieter mid range. I can even see a slight difference looking into the diaphragm. If anyone knows a possible solution or cause of this id love to hear it. 

40 minutes ago, Wkatsiotis said:

I’m not sure and have no idea why only one would have it

40 minutes ago, Wkatsiotis said:

I’m not sure and have no idea why only one would have it

I can't say what exactly it's for but it should be on both mids

I haven't taken apart the midrange assembly in mine so I'm not sure what's going on there.  However, you can use the diaphragm replacement instructions on the Crites website to take it apart and see if anything looks wrong:  https://critesspeakers.com/k-53_diaphragm_replacement.html.

FYI, you may be able to get replacement midrange diaphragms if the one is bad.

This is the factory one but Simply Speakers is currently out of stock: https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-127120.html.  You can get the part number and email Klipsch to see if they have any in stock.

I think Cites has (or had as I don't see any way to order it) one as well: https://critesspeakers.com/klipsch_midrange.html.  Maybe call or email them.

• Like 1

I think I’ll give klipsch a call tomorrow and see if they have any incite on it. Might have to take apart the horn as well but for all I know the one that’s quieter with the orange ring may be the one that’s functioning correctly. All I know is that it sounds very lopsided as a stereo setup

5 hours ago, Wkatsiotis said:

‎ Penso che domani darò una chiamata a klipsch e vedrò se hanno qualche incitamento su di esso. Potrebbe essere necessario smontare anche il corno, ma per quanto ne so, quello che è più silenzioso con l'anello arancione potrebbe essere quello che funziona correttamente. Tutto quello che so è che suona molto sbilanciato come configurazione stereo‎

No problem, disassembling the mid and its horn of a KLF is a simple operation, I managed to do it that I almost struggle to change a light bulb!!!!😃

And I recently observed that an old/ bad gasket can have great influence on the sond. I replaced the gaskets on my Heresys ( They were 40 years old) and clarity and imaging improved markedly. The old ones were still firmly seated and there were no observable gaps, still something changed.

Maybe, whoever took that horn apart, did not screw it back together firmly enough and it´s "leaking".

Remove the midrange horns from both and swap them. Does the problem follow the driver, or does it stay with the speaker? If it follows the driver, it's a driver issue, if it stays with the speaker, it's a crossover issue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Remove the midrange horns from both and swap them. Does the problem follow the driver, or does it stay with the speaker? If it follows the driver, it's a driver issue, if it stays with the speaker, it's a crossover issue. 

I’m going to try this before I take apart the mid horn thank you for the advice.

Welp in case anyone was wondering, I took out both mid ranges and found a mess someone left behind for me. It appears that one of them had been dropped which messed up the threads from the squawker to the horn (luckily not enough for me to gently rethread them) but also the magnet had shifted. Got the magnet to a repair shop and have a new OEM diaphragm coming in the mail. The other horn had  be assembled ok, only thing missing was the gasket. Does anyone know where to buy gaskets for these? (K52)

• Like 2