Would I benefit from an external amp in this situation?

Svedkadrpepper

My current setup is a 7.1 consisting of

Center: RC64-III

Fronts: RF7-III

Sides: RP-502s

Rears: RP-500M

Sub: PSA TV2112

Here is my quandary, the subwoofer is going away, I’ve tried many things to get it to not bother the rest of the household, even neighbors in some bass heavy movies to no avail. The volume to Which I have to tone it down makes it not worth even having a sub to me personally.

I play LOUD, and it seems to only be the really low frequencies that are causing issues. Since I’m getting rid of the sub I’ll be running my speakers as full range, so I was thinking I would benefit from an external amp? Any recommendations on the amp?

I know Klipsch speakers are very sensitive, but would I not benefit from a good amp running full range? I do listen at reference level frequently. I should also mention this a small room, about 11’x11’.

My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A2080

All input is greatly appreciated.

6 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I would definitely get an amp.  I'd suggest a three channel amp to power your LCR, then let your AVR handle the rest.

I agree totally unless you find a really good deal on a 5 or 7 channel.

8 hours ago, Svedkadrpepper said:

Any recommendations on the amp?

The used market is your friend where more horsepower is cheap.

Not sure of your location but here is a great suggestion for little $$$.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649768893-outlaw-audio-7125-7-ch-amplifier/

649768893_thumb_d03b50b80a4c7f6c7bee646d10f6bb91.jpg649768893_thumb_7e32e1ed8d3a1fca51b4cb94fb6cc9f5.jpg

Bill

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Are you sure your subwoofer is in phase of running them with speakers full range?  Have you played with positioning and phase to get it to sound better at your listening position and not disturb others?  How about running it nearfield? 

I’m not currently running full range, so long as I have the sub. I have messed around with many different settings to no avail. I’ve got it near field already.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Svedkadrpepper said:

I’m not currently running full range, so long as I have the sub. I have messed around with many different settings to no avail. I’ve got it near field already.

Got it.   Well, after owning those RF7 IIIs myself, I can with the right amp, they pout out a very solid slam in the low, end and dig pretty deep.  Likely, I think your issue would be the same with just the speakers.... 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, Svedkadrpepper said:

Get a Pre-Listen of the sound you're talking about.

If you're going to ditch the sub, go ahead and turn it off

and listen to what your system sounds like.

Give it a week or 2 then you'll know if you need to buy anything.

Listen without the sub.

• Like 1

Lots of good advice directly upstream ^^^.

My Marantz 6011 has a setting which addresses your exact quandary.  It purports to lesson or eliminate the LF going through walls.  I've never used that feature so I can't say how well it works.

I run an RC-64 III and some large L/R DIY horn loaded speakers, Titan LX-615.  An Emotiva XPA-5 (five channels 200 wpc) powers the L/C/R giving them 250 wpc.  I don't think it increases the bass but I do think it increases the dynamics, especially at higher SPL.

Do you need an external amp?  In your current listening environment with neighbors, probably not.  Would you enjoy an external amp?  Probably yes.

Pictured below:  12" Mid-bass Module pair, Umax 15 subs pair, Titan LX-15 speakers, RC-64 III, Marantz SR 6011, Emotiva XPA-5, far right Inuke 3000dsp pair.

IMG_0071_small.thumb.jpg.9a960cba700d85ae4e02f56c4b2d3a20.jpg

13 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Lots of good advice directly upstream ^^^.

My Marantz 6011 has a setting which addresses your exact quandary.  It purports to lesson or eliminate the LF going through walls.  I've never used that feature so I can't say how well it works.

I run an RC-64 III and some large L/R DIY horn loaded speakers, Titan LX-615.  An Emotiva XPA-5 (five channels 200 wpc) powers the L/C/R giving them 250 wpc.  I don't think it increases the bass but I do think it increases the dynamics, especially at higher SPL.

Do you need an external amp?  In your current listening environment with neighbors, probably not.  Would you enjoy an external amp?  Probably yes.

Pictured below:  12" Mid-bass Module pair, Umax 15 subs pair, Titan LX-15 speakers, RC-64 III, Marantz SR 6011, Emotiva XPA-5, far right Inuke 3000dsp pair.

IMG_0071_small.thumb.jpg.9a960cba700d85ae4e02f56c4b2d3a20.jpg

That's some BIG System you've got

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rebuy said:

That's some BIG System you've got

I keep coming across deals I can't resist.  I think I paid $1000 for the Titan LX-615's and the MBM's combined.  That's about $250 per speaker and since I already own some of the DIYSoundgroup.org speakers I know the sound and love their stuff.

The guy who sold them them lives 10 minutes from my house.  That never happens to me, it's always at least a four-hour round trip. 

I love my Klipsch but this deal was too good to pass up.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello

I plan on purchasing the Yamaha PX8 (8-ohm - stereo - 800-watt amplifier). Will the power be too much for the RF-7iiis (with the stock Klipsch crossover)?   I don't plan on putting any bass on them - I let the two 15"-inch subwoofers handle the bass).

They play Clear and Loud (with my current stereo 200-watt amp). I would like to get more volume from them. . .if any.

Thank you 

1 minute ago, GuyIsDamGood said:

Hello

I plan on purchasing the Yamaha PX8 (8-ohm - stereo - 800-watt amplifier). Will the power be too much for the RF-7iiis (with the stock Klipsch crossover)?   I don't plan on putting any bass on them - I let the two 15"-inch subwoofers handle the bass).

They play Clear and Loud (with my current stereo 200-watt amp). I would like to get more volume from them. . .if any.

Thank you 

You already asked this in a different forum section.