Subwoofer wattage

JoeHawkins

Just to start this, I’m a complete novice and have a question. I was recently told my sub should have 4 to 5 times the wattage of my speakers. Now, what I’m wondering is the following. My speakers, Klipsch quartets, have 100 each. My current sub (sw-110 has 200watt) sounds quite good the way I got it set up. But it’s not 4-5 times the wattage. Would I be well served by getting a second set-110 or get rid of mine and get just one with 400-500 watt? I’m confused.

I listen fairly loud and haven’t had any issues with my current setup. Just wondering about options and what would be better. 
thanks

2 hours ago, JoeHawkins said:

Just to start this, I’m a complete novice and have a question. I was recently told my sub should have 4 to 5 times the wattage of my speakers. Now, what I’m wondering is the following. My speakers, Klipsch quartets, have 100 each. My current sub (sw-110 has 200watt) sounds quite good the way I got it set up. But it’s not 4-5 times the wattage. Would I be well served by getting a second set-110 or get rid of mine and get just one with 400-500 watt? I’m confused.

I listen fairly loud and haven’t had any issues with my current setup. Just wondering about options and what would be better. 
thanks

OP, you just answered your own question.  See bold/underlined.

It's not broken, don't fix it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Dual, identical subwoofers are always better than only one.  Not only will it increase the amount of bass but they'll help eliminate peaks and nulls in your room.  I'd definitely suggest getting another SW-110.

That’s kind of what I figured too. Thank you.

1 hour ago, JoeHawkins said:

No I didn’t. I also thought my two little bookshelves sounded quite good. ;)

So the short response is that you just have the upgrade itch.

While it's true that you would generally have a sub that outputs more than your mains, consider the following: How often do you think you're using 100 W of power on your Quartets?

42 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

So the short response is that you just have the upgrade itch.

While it's true that you would generally have a sub that outputs more than your mains, consider the following: How often do you think you're using 100 W of power on your Quartets?

Yes, well the add-on itch maybe. Just trying to figure it out what would make it just that little bit better.

id say I hardly ever use 100. Don’t think I ever have, tbh 

20 minutes ago, JoeHawkins said:

Yes, well the add-on itch maybe. Just trying to figure it out what would make it just that little bit better.

id say I hardly ever use 100. Don’t think I ever have, tbh 

My point there is that the sub is probably fine in your configuration, but otherwise...the assessment with the 110 is correct.  That being said, you will only gain approximately 3 dB with adding the second sub - but with better coverage is all.  You would want to look at maybe one of the SPL lines?  I think that's the current.

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

My point there is that the sub is probably fine in your configuration, but otherwise...the assessment with the 110 is correct.  That being said, you will only gain approximately 3 dB with adding the second sub - but with better coverage is all.  You would want to look at maybe one of the SPL lines?  I think that's the current.

If I can’t find a matching one to the one I got, then I’ll do that. Found one online for 300 including shipping. And that’s Canadian $

That's not a good way to match up a system in my opinion.  You could have a fairly low power amp with Klipsch speakers that will hit Reference yet have two 4,000  watt speakerpower amps and it could be perfectly balanced.  You could also have a high powered multichannel amp and a single fairly weak amp on a 15" horn and it will scare the bejeezus out of you when the bass hits.  Just kind of more to it than that.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

That's not a good way to match up a system in my opinion.  You could have a fairly low power amp with Klipsch speakers that will hit Reference yet have two 4,000  watt speakerpower amps and it could be perfectly balanced.  You could also have a high powered multichannel amp and a single fairly weak amp on a 15" horn and it will scare the bejeezus out of you when the bass hits.  Just kind of more to it than that.  

I get that. My set up works quite well tho. Just want to put a bit more oomph behind did. for when I get into  some ebm. It likes that 😉

Edited by JoeHawkins

7 minutes ago, JoeHawkins said:

I get that. My set up works quite well tho. Just want to put a bit more oomph behind did. for evening get into  some ebm. It likes that 😉

Don't worry about matching subs unless you're running them in stereo IMO just get something big and bad if you want more oomph. 

12 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Most subs are just wired as LFE channels not true stereo 

Yes, that’s how I got mine right now, over LFE. I never really used subs at home so it was the question wether 1 bigger one via LFE sounds better than two smaller ones in stereo. Just wanting opinions on that to see what direction i want to go. Trying to see pros and cons of each. Plus money is a bit tight at the moment.

Wattage shouldn't be a decision factor here...  A good sub may or may not need a lot of power.  I had a sub I built that used a BASH 300 and it had plenty of power to drive my sub out of its magnetic field.  Up to that point, that's playing very loud music with a set of La Scala's.  If I had an 8" driver that could take 1,000 watts, it doesn't mean I'm going to get what I want out of it with a set of La Scala's.  

3 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

Wattage shouldn't be a decision factor here...  A good sub may or may not need a lot of power.  I had a sub I built that used a BASH 300 and it had plenty of power to drive my sub out of its magnetic field.  Up to that point, that's playing very loud music with a set of La Scala's.  If I had an 8" driver that could take 1,000 watts, it doesn't mean I'm going to get what I want out of it with a set of La Scala's.  

But I have Quartets. Never having listened to La Scalas, I can’t compare 

11 minutes ago, JoeHawkins said:

Yes, that’s how I got mine right now, over LFE. I never really used subs at home so it was the question wether 1 bigger one via LFE sounds better than two smaller ones in stereo. Just wanting opinions on that to see what direction i want to go. Trying to see pros and cons of each. Plus money is a bit tight at the moment.

Quartets are a decent sized speaker and solid down to 45-50hz so stereo subs really aren't needed a good LFE or multiple LFE's should be sufficient up to a certain sized room. In a perfect world you'd want stereo subs with the Quartets and a separate LFE or four.