What would you do?

Jvitti1970

14 hours ago, SWL said:

They just named it the Node.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The 2021 node has a different chip. I use its internal DAC and go via chinch into my C22CE pre. The new Node is a very significant increase over the Node 2i when using the internal chip. I don't know if there is any difference between 2021 Node and Node 2i when using an external converter.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bluesound-node-2021

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/news-tips/node-node-2i-node-node2-bluesound-difference-__I.441274__N.25567

Regardless of the marketing misstep, the new NODE is clearly better than the previous models.

If I didn’t have a great R2R Pontus DAC I would be trading in my node 2i for a Node because the upgrades look great- my streaming setup sounds fantastic - a bargain in the audiophile world

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

It seems that I am behind I suppose.   No one uses a pc connected straight to a DAC?  The NODE is the be all, end all of streaming? It seems the node is a streamer/ DAC in a single box?  It is then connected straight to a Preamp? Do I have that right? 

I don't think the Node is the end all be all. It is just one alternative besides a PC, Mac or a host of other streaming options. Yes it has built in Dacs but I didn't think the Dacs in my Node 2I sounded as good as my stand alone Dac. But you can easily connect straight from the Node to a preamp if you prefer. The convenience of the Nodes are that they are fairly small and wirelessly connect to the Internet. Bluos has an easy to use interface and mine never has any dropouts. I stream from my MacBookPro computer to my KEF LS500 Ws all the time and I think that works great too but the MacBook is much larger than the Node and the LS50 Ws have built in amps, a Dac and DSP. 

Many ways to access music. The Node is just one way that sounds pretty good to my ears. But... I still like vinyl so wtf do I know???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

It seems that I am behind I suppose.   No one uses a pc connected straight to a DAC?  The NODE is the be all, end all of streaming? It seems the node is a streamer/ DAC in a single box?  It is then connected straight to a Preamp? Do I have that right? 

I do but I'm low budget for this neighborhood. I use Spotify on an '09 iMac-Schiit Modi3+-Fisher 440T-Klipsch R610f. Sounds great to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fido said:

Many ways to access music. The Node is just one way that sounds pretty good to my ears. But... I still like vinyl so wtf do I know???

Haha. About what I thought. I'm sure the node sounds great. I think im already set up a bit better, but I completely understand the relevance and convenience of said product. Price point is nice as well. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 12:37 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

Haha. About what I thought. I'm sure the node sounds great. I think im already set up a bit better, but I completely understand the relevance and convenience of said product. Price point is nice as well. 

Your PC setup may be a little beyond what I'm doing with mine; curious how you have it set up.  Mine's an older Dell 790 i5 with the settings set to capability for all output, up to 32bit/192kHz, and is fed via USB to my Onkyo P-3000R preamp.  The USB input has specific drivers that have to be used (from Onkyo) that appear to override Windows settings.  It does show on my preamp what it's "seeing" from Amazon & Spotify, too.  I let my preamp do the DAC work since it already has decent separate L/R Burr Brown D/A's.  But hell, the Node may be better than it since the Node is 10 years newer than my preamp.

And i just used the Desktop apps for Spotify and Amazon Music HD.  Sure wish Amazon would come out with aa "Connect" style control like Spotify.  I wonder if the BlueSound app works well; that would be a BIG deciding factor for me to be able to use a phone or tablet to control Amazon versus having to use a keyboard.

I would immediately replace the lascalas with something bigger from Klipsch like Khorns, Jubs, MCM.  That would give a major immediate improvement without changing anything else.

Changing a sub, a DAC, and amp..........that would not do what the above would.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Sipmle. Wireworld Violet USB cable into USB on DAC.  Latest drivers and firmware on DAC.   On Foobar, I use ASIO output. For Amazon HD, I use highest quality under settings and exclusive mode output. 

That's about how I've got it set up, too.  I want to believe I'm getting the Full Monty from AMHD but they are so fickle about their info.  Who's your source of choice?  Tidal, Qobuz, AMHD, etc.