What is used to dope K-33-E surrounds?

Blvdre

I searched forum, and didn't find anything specific mentioned. I also searched the web, and there are all kinds of opinions about what should be used, for paper surrounds in general. I'd like to know what is specifically recommended for the K-33-E woofer surrounds.

Why? Well, I pulled the woofers from my La Scalas recently, and found a build up of dusty debris on the bottom-facing side of each woofer. This debris has pulled a lot of the doping from that portion of the surrounds, for a length of about 3". It looks dry to the eye.

I'd like to replenish the doping in those areas (if possible), so am wondering if anyone has recommendations. I'm particularly interested in what @Chief bonehead might have to say about this, should he see this post. My interest is in refurbishing the surrounds correctly, so as not to affect the driver parameters. Any help is appreciated.

2 hours ago, Madman1 said:

I have a weak spot in the paper cone of a k-33, and I safely use something on the back to reinforce?

Madman1, please start a post for your issue. Hope this doesn't sound rude (that is not my intention), but I want to keep this post focused. 

4 hours ago, Blvdre said:

Madman1, please start a post for your issue. Hope this doesn't sound rude (that is not my intention), but I want to keep this post focused. 

Yep, no worries. My apologies, I thought your question had been answered already. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blvdre said:

This debris has pulled a lot of the doping from that portion of the surrounds, for a length of about 3". It looks dry to the eye.

I'd like to replenish the doping in those areas (if possible),

the black cement glue that is used to glue dustcaps should do the job 

Just to wrap this up, I’ve finished treating the dry areas of the surrounds using Simply Speakers’ PVA. I preferred adding a bit of water, to help it flow a bit better. After ~3 light applications, I couldn’t tell where the dry sections started/ended. Nice and flexible, worked like a charm. Time to get them back in the La Scalas.

• Thanks 1

Awesome... I've always used Weldbond, an easily obtainable PVA glue recommended by djk years ago. I always did as you, thinning it a little and using multiple coats.

I've successfully repaired cracked rubber surrounds, by using a piece of cigarette paper (or similar) on the back side  just like you would do laying up fiberglass. Works on tears in a paper cone as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...