My first La Scalas

pcbiz

Very first update. I replaced the K-55V rubber washers. The old ones (see pic) were pretty dried out. This $8 update really does improve the mids.  It's the first time I'm hearing the highs in Frank's voice. The horns in the orchestra are sharper as well.

o0tmrs_yJ6H5JQxr0isnob0PD8sTOKzGaAMQ1umvkSSRaY3mviL9LA3Q1pdGeNe2M9-9jrDhNZFlVrLsnhrbiL4miYVl7Qke8OS1FwtZVJzU5MkOZh-IbTkRJi7CTjYiaN4tPPO_=s0

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Your cabinets look to be in good shape !

They're actually pretty beat and scratched up. They were stored stacked with one on top.

AA Crossovers. I'm impressed by the sound, even though I know an ALK crossover will take them to new and improved sonic capabilities.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

AA Crossovers. I'm impressed by the sound, even though I know an ALK crossover will take them to new and improved sonic capabilities.

AA are pretty good -no need for ALK ,all you need are possibly new  klipsch capacitors

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, pcbiz said:

K-77 tweeter tricked out with 10AWG pure copper audio wire.

maxpELaQtQvZ2MWJz6jLomt7oliB34bKXDYmnbPxLIysNuLzw_C9ol-sNeTTUApc45GKa7hb-344t8FMv5TMAtNYkVq6rcpkKhVch2wQ6Pqt6z_7-XaNHGSwJd-anJnbscBfyMW_=s0

Are those spade ends also pure copper?  If not, would they nullify the benefits of pure copper?

(I'm just a wire hag that uses store bought direct burial low voltage lighting wire)

Maybe I'm just a hag, my wife might agree.

Regarding the 402/510....do a lookup on them.  If someone puts "X" amount of funds into fixing up LaScalas but more importantly, are actively looking to distinctly improve their sound, then that is likely going to be the most significant single upgrade that  you can do..... but it's not what I'd call inexpensive.  Right now, I'd say you are dancing on the periphery of improvements.  The 402/510 and actively biamping them is jumping into the serious end of the pool.

If you ever get near Knoxville,  you're welcome to hear what I'm talking about.  (I have 1979 LaScalas and 402's so can do a side by side comparison after some equipment swapping)

• Like 1