My first La Scalas

pcbiz

11 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

What are they? Are they the Crites tweeters with different lenses?

I'm interested in your modifications and in aplying some of what you've done to my La Scalas.

Those are DaveA's SMAHL machined tweeter lenses with B&C DE120. Well worth it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

Those are DaveA's SMAHL machined tweeter lenses with B&C DE120. Well worth it!

My second pair. Today I'm listening to more of my very familiar music. They are really impressive with my Scalas. Combined with the A55Gs they produce a lot more studio or stage detail. A better sense of space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

My second pair. Today I'm listening to more of my very familiar music. They are really impressive with my Scalas. Combined with the A55Gs they produce a lot more studio or stage detail. A better sense of space.

I have a pair in my 79 Cornwalls and really noticed a difference. Detail was way higher. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today I put the K55V back in with new diaphragms. I put my K77 tweeters back in as well. The new midrange diaphragm is really nice, an absolute must if you have 40 year old K55Vs. I actually like the setup now better than my new tweeters and mid driver. 

Another reason I reinstalled the original drivers is that my JEM Audio caps just arrived. I'll install those tomorrow.

md64nYguZgNB2IwVB3-enrI7h-xA2myDnm3hUFru2f_nnTR8YrBkR7BOMgHDkC8Gh4UiyrzIdKb2V5R5C1xQltW4EpxtdUs8yHCoGt73a3AyQu7zPadWI57rSE-VdpUHf6Tno3bs

• Like 1

Mission accomplished. I installed the JEM Audio caps, and my La Scalas are now restored to factory stock, minus the big fat 10awg wire I've used throughout. The new caps definitely upped the volume and sensitivity of the speakers.

I also bought a pair of twisted copper 8AWG cables from an ebay little home factory operation. Only $55. They are very impressive! More music is coming out of these cables.

I'm really liking the sound, but I have more experimenting to do with Dave A's tweeters, the A55Gs, and ALK crossovers, whenever they get here. I'll let the updated AA crossovers and new cables burn in a few more days before the experimentation resumes.

_th_Nz-p4gltQPPnclzpSC4G2ZEB_9TGsZ_ebll5bTwrr1WHvCzTb2n1iiSsscEnS0UZka0pnfzyI9C4NbW65UmKEhE28TqoiUvz8M0JlyWuQf8o5woDubSf3jEifhePxOiRvkxy

These old caps were sounding really good with my 10awg wire and horn damping updates. My new cables and caps seem to need more burn in time, but the sonic difference makes it obvious that these old caps rock.

Edit: My home made spade connectors were the culprit. They stole the highs, details and presence. The proverbial 'blanket over the speakers'. Connectors really do make a difference.

TXDPjMnLhIvsL9PRrg-2GtO5680fTT0AsmDYPeg9d8MFajVlnjZqE-7zHfAhE6wUtl5VuHwAvEvSI46mDlla1vY-NfqJKjxxCxbn19ydabAK65KTzMgiIcfKhUo6XmCXyJf3mdou

Edited by pcbiz
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I installed these little banana plug adapters for the speaker inputs. You may see a lot of these on Amazon at varying prices, but they are not all made alike, nor do they sound alike.  This is the Wyvern brand, and they  sound great.

I'm on my second audiophile speaker cable set. The second one is definitely better, and these little adapters let them sing nicely.

34044355_WyvernAudio.jpg.4aaa13bc8c543dd807da8b1a0d623bb7.jpg

On 12/4/2021 at 5:47 PM, pcbiz said:

I installed these little banana plug adapters for the speaker inputs. You may see a lot of these on Amazon at varying prices, but they are not all made alike, nor do they sound alike.  This is the Wyvern brand, and they  sound great.

I'm on my second audiophile speaker cable set. The second one is definitely better, and these little adapters let them sing nicely.

34044355_WyvernAudio.jpg.4aaa13bc8c543dd807da8b1a0d623bb7.jpg

So... the Wyvern adapters started sounding just like the other cheapos after one day. I'm back to home made banana to fork adapters with full fidelity restored... they just look home made.

8 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

So... the Wyvern adapters started sounding just like the other cheapos after one day. I'm back to home made banana to fork adapters with full fidelity restored... they just look home made.

check these out --Furutech

https://www.furutech.com/products/component-parts/spade-connectors/

• Like 1

Have you tried BFA (British Federation of Audio) bananas?  They’re little cylindrical connectors with a split on one side, so you can use a Phillips screwdriver to loosen them or pliers to tighten them, so you can get a perfect snug fit into your equipment.  Most of the time, they slide in just fine, but you can tweak them if necessary.  As well, they have a longer contact surface than spring bananas (the usual kind of bananas) do.  

Spring bananas only make contact on a line around the fattest part of the banana, while BFA bananas fully contact whatever’s inside your component.  They’re available from a number of online sources.

• Like 1