My first La Scalas

pcbiz

Congratulations on your first La Scalas. Appreciate you sharing your findings. A recap of some so far are:

10AWG pure copper audio wire makes the K-77 sound better.

Silent Feet, aka "hockey pucks between carpet and La Scalas makes them sound better.

The K55V with new diaphragms and K77 tweeters sound better than the new A-55-G/2 drivers and SMAHL tweeters.

The most dramatic upgrades of these are 10 AWG pure copper speaker and terminal wire and an audiophile AC power cord.

You can hear the difference between 10AWG and 8AWG in crossovers.

Old caps rock, but not with home made spade connectors.

Wyvern banana plug adapters sound better, but only for a day.

Copper spade input connectors makes speakers sound better even when all the other connectors in the crossovers aren’t copper.

Let us know about your bare wire findings too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, soundbound said:

Congratulations on your first La Scalas. Appreciate you sharing your findings. A recap of some so far are:

10AWG pure copper audio wire makes the K-77 sound better.

Silent Feet, aka "hockey pucks between carpet and La Scalas makes them sound better.

The K55V with new diaphragms and K77 tweeters sound better than the new A-55-G/2 drivers and SMAHL tweeters.

The most dramatic upgrades of these are 10 AWG pure copper speaker and terminal wire and an audiophile AC power cord.

You can hear the difference between 10AWG and 8AWG in crossovers.

Old caps rock, but not with home made spade connectors.

Wyvern banana plug adapters sound better, but only for a day.

Copper spade input connectors makes speakers sound better even when all the other connectors in the crossovers aren’t copper.

Let us know about your bare wire findings too.

Excellent editorial skills.

8 hours ago, Deang said:

Lol. Wut? Well, don’t use 10AWG wire then. 

I was thinking the same. What I'll do is get 10AWG copper connectors. Wrapping 10AWG around those little screws on the crossover isn't my best option. 

3 minutes ago, Deang said:

That's not what I meant, and as Soundbound pointed out, you are doing goofy audiophile stuff with no way of validating what you are hearing. It's okay, we've all been there -- no judgment. 

I'm used to hearing live drums, guitars, vocalists, etc. The goal is to get my kit to sound like band practice. Composing music is goofy too.

1 hour ago, Deang said:

You're not going to get there with wire and connector changeouts. 

Never thought I would. I'm waiting on a high quality crossover. I also have my new tweeters and mid drivers waiting in the wings. Didn't think the wires and  connectors would be an issue, but they were. Fixed it.

7 hours ago, Deang said:

That's not what I meant, and as Soundbound pointed out, you are doing goofy audiophile stuff with no way of validating what you are hearing. It's okay, we've all been there -- no judgment. 

Validating my findings is unimportant in this exercise. Audio quality is the only measurement I'm using. Ears.

Speaking of audio quality, I know you've listened to the ALK CSW-450. What is the sonic difference between the CSW-450 and your crossover, according to your audio standards/ears?

10 minutes ago, Deang said:

I slightly modify existing designs since I’m using different parts.  

I used to be Al’s licensed builder for that design. When he wanted me to make it using cheap as dirt parts, I quit. Still want to know what I think about it?

Yes. Inquiring minds want to know.