My first La Scalas

pcbiz

2 hours ago, Deang said:

I slightly modify existing designs since I’m using different parts.  

I used to be Al’s licensed builder for that design. When he wanted me to make it using cheap as dirt parts, I quit. Still want to know what I think about it?

Dean, it must be quite heartening to know that there is someone here that will judge the quality of the components that you and others use. Puts my mind at ease, that’s for sure…

It's easy to have LS, Jubes, Khorns, etc., play loud without realizing, and have some hearing fatigue. Then, you change parts and do it again.

Don't hurt your hearing, it's easy to do with low distortion speakers.

I found Al's design philosophy regarding the AA crossover, as well as a schematic on his website for his CSW or universal design. The CSW-450, for a little more cash, has a woofer filter at 450 Hz, similar to the AL5. I am making a meager/fun attempt at imitating the AL5. The CSW was wonderful with my Heresy I pair, especially with SMAHL tweeters. I'm expecting more of the same from the CSW-450s for my La Scalas.

http://www.alkeng.com/bad_AA.html

18 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

I found Al's design philosophy regarding the AA crossover, as well as a schematic on his website for his CSW or universal design. The CSW-450, for a little more cash, has a woofer filter at 450 Hz, similar to the AL5. I am making a meager/fun attempt at imitating the AL5. The CSW was wonderful with my Heresy I pair, especially with SMAHL tweeters. I'm expecting more of the same from the CSW-450s for my La Scalas.

Glad you like it.  Have fun with the build.  Along with all of your other upgrades to your networks and speakers, this should really put you over the top......

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Deang said:

Some funny stuff on that page. I guess PK was a real dummy. 

I went and read some of it too and I agree with you. I couldn’t bare to read it all. It’s partly why he’s not on this forum anymore and still not happy about it. I respect him some, but he’s no Mr. Paul W. Klipsch who I admire greatly. Every time I listen to my Klipschorns and any Klipsch speaker demonstrates how intelligent Paul was and his company is. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the input. I assumed ALK's crossovers are more in line with modern Klipsch crossovers, and Dean G's crossovers are more in line with the originals on steroids. I really should get Dean G's crossover and compare it to my audio memory of the ALKs in my Heresy pair, or just get both.

Al Klappenberger is an engineer, if I am not mistaken, in frequency circuits who decided to sell Klipsch crossovers. Highly talented and is respected in his field. Highly opinionated but talented people as himself can be somewhat eccentric. This is not to say I like all of his crossovers but some of his designs are improvements over dated designs of the past. Self banned on this forum is what I am reading on is website. Worthy of consideration if one has to try and improve one of PWK's designs. But if it is not broken why try and fix it. Not a fan of steep networks myself unless there is a need for such. Sucks the soul out of the sound in my opinion. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Al Klappenberger is an engineer...... 

Reading this made me crack up.  As a Structural Engineer  I usually bring the mindset that if you assign the same task to 10 engineers, you'll get 15 different designs and every single person loudly proclaiming the other nine people in the room are not only dangerous and wrong, but are absolute morons and unafraid to point it.

And reading that website linked above totally reminded me of that fact.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BadChile said:

Reading this made me crack up.  As a Structural Engineer  I usually bring the mindset that if you assign the same task to 10 engineers, you'll get 15 different designs and every single person loudly proclaiming the other nine people in the room are not only dangerous and wrong, but are absolute morons and unafraid to point it.

I found the same thing working with software coders 😄

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BadChile said:

AMEN to that. I keep looking for the definitive final answer to speakers and get instead numerous definitive final answers. You would think with the limited numbers of components typically used in speakers and their drivers that this would have been well defined long ago.

I did stumble across one speaker design this morning I found intriguing though.

speakers.jpg

• Like 1

You are correct about that. Just as doctors and lawyers disagree when a bunch are in a room together. PWK had a badge for some of them. But when it comes necessary to believing someone on a social media forum or an electronic engineer I lean more to listening to what an engineer has to say. Electronic engineers design circuits technician's fix what they have designed. I built ALK's universal crossover from the schematic and thought it one of the best I have heard. Really like the fact one can change taps on the autotransformer to tailor the sound to your room. I can remember years ago those on this forum trashing what Al calls the swamping resistor in his universal. My thoughts were they just wanted to be important on a forum, not that they understood exactly what that resistor truly does. 

• Like 1