My first La Scalas

pcbiz

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Don't tell that to a whale, but whales aren't fish. 
Fish can, but fish have no feelings.

Don't tell that to the Cephalopod Molluscs and Decapod Crustaceans

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/lobsters-crabs-and-octopuses-will-be-recognized-as-sentient-beings-in-the-uk-warranting-welfare-protections-180979113/

Oh, and they can 'hear' too.

• 2 months later...

I installed the Volti crossovers, Dave A's SMAHL V2 tweeter, and the A-55-G/2 midrange drivers. There is a very nice range of adjustments for this crossover, so I opted to put everything on full blast to start. The La Scalas still sound like La Scalas, but with more detail and air. The bass is better, too. I need to let everything burn in for a few days to hear how everything settles.

So far, this is the best Heart's Dreamboat Annie has ever sounded.

• Like 1

I'm out of the dog house.

I opened them to install 10AWG wire for the woofers, and the difference is very nice! Upright bass is more distinct, and I can hear the space and depth of the recording stage around the bass. Vocals that make it down to the woofer are much more engaging and present. It's such a simple mod. I'm sure this is why the new Klipsch lineup uses better speaker wire.

8RsWz2er8d_6GblcODLY6J_RAcYPAsLvlidIo3fUnk1qMJp9brf1R_LSTJHV_k1V6sIHrOCRCfe9sVmKk5rSjEHB799oR1aYzuRFBNTtfLPWPfJV8jADBr1ZsTOcVVoGqWkIg6xL

empSkm0O2IDCNMNY1hPn5z8OoWMLT7byGzVCjiJK86B22B7cgXoSi5BTwEcJ4MwAdAvAcBOD2VCTqPGyCnsWngre9eNTVouSf_V6J-s2qob5cRBnvRufcUzWWPDRK8gtK8AqyBAV

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pcbiz said:

Upright bass is more distinct, and I can hear the space and depth of the recording stage around the bass. Vocals that make it down to the woofer are much more engaging and present

Amazing what changing a foot of wire will do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Amazing what changing a foot of wire will do.

Especially changing a foot of 18 ga to 10 ga to get to the tiny wire that the voice coil of a woofer is made of:)

Whatever floats your boat. As long as you're in the woofer chamber might as well change the wire, right?

Psychoacousticly it is going to make a huge difference.

• Like 1

Old wire. Out!

New wire in. Much better. The end.

1 hour ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

In case there was any doubt, I was being facetious.

Oh... in that case... I'm right, and you're wrong. That's the way it goes with these ears.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Especially changing a foot of 18 ga to 10 ga to get to the tiny wire that the voice coil of a woofer is made of:)

Whatever floats your boat. As long as you're in the woofer chamber might as well change the wire, right?

Psychoacousticly it is going to make a huge difference.

It's not imagined. Try it for yourself and see. Klipsch does this on their new speakers for a reason.

54 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

I tell people not to change the wire unless they have to. The stock wire is tin coated annealed copper. It protects the copper from corrosion. Unless the jacket is damaged, it's hard to do better.

Better has been done. This is the third Klipsch set I've owned, and I've swapped out the old wire each time with an upgrade in sonics. 

• Like 1

"Have I done experiments (tests) to see if it matters--no I haven't" That there is funny.

I can tell you Klipsch did tests when changing to "high quality" internal wiring and it did not make the speaker worse.:)

Psychoacoustic does not equal imaginary.

Peace.

• Like 3