My first La Scalas

Outfitted the first squawker with my Kilmat scraps. ALK's advice on damping material is really good advice. This is my third horn damping effort; Heresys, Chorus IIs, and now my La Scalas. My speakers consistently sound better with this treatment.

JJcimQn9jt079ALlyyW3pOxsllL92MpEWM5ZFq3CcJt2jGrhYBDOD-myNMalZpsGBvn20FnGRXopt-IZAw1CddjxGO60EsnGfCYyg6HcxrmW5j0n5Y_9TP06tJXSLDaeZXVOZkE5=s0

The first speaker is done. I'm not going to change the caps right now. I'd like to see how they sound with new wiring. When my ALK crossovers come in, I will probably use an Audioquest type of wiring.

xCTNIQugqWL2mZSXymfCrMjPCH2eU9UI-mGEwo8uAkWehwwBAM34lpzms9XJYp_KpUejF2o03Nyw5PUKBeq7bXk2dKvWudh34Cb6pg7j_olmNOfkWUmKmVsJtW0KYNhVNDK8w__P=s0

They're all set up now. Listening to Nora Jones CD. On "Don't Know Why". Nora's voice is much more natural and present with these little upgrades. Guitars on the other tunes are crisper and more detailed.

I do understand now what everyone says about the conspicuous absence of bass on stock vintage La Scalas. I've got a fix on the way. These speakers are great. 

• Like 1

I, like a few others here, have adjusted the midrange, dropping it down a few db. Turning up the gain then brings up the apparent bass. Not the same as adding a sub, but you might be surprised at how much more full they sound.

11 hours ago, Marvel said:

I, like a few others here, have adjusted the midrange, dropping it down a few db. Turning up the gain then brings up the apparent bass. Not the same as adding a sub, but you might be surprised at how much more full they sound.

Excellent idea. That's how the crossovers I'm waiting on work.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:05 PM, pcbiz said:

They're all set up now. Listening to Nora Jones CD. On "Don't Know Why". Nora's voice is much more natural and present with these little upgrades. Guitars on the other tunes are crisper and more detailed.

I do understand now what everyone says about the conspicuous absence of bass on stock vintage La Scalas. I've got a fix on the way. These speakers are great. 

make sure the bottom access woofer panel has a  tight seal -

• Like 1

7 hours ago, babadono said:

Yes Sir, tweeters that blow at 5 watts need 10 awg wire. ...Meanwhile back on earth....

They definitely like the 10 AWG wire, but I'm pretty sure I'll never hit 5 watts with them in this apartment. The greatest threat to these tweeters are Dave's SMAHL-V2s.