Jico stylus endurance question

Mighty Favog

7 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

I was loosely looking into a replacement stylus for my Ortofon VMS-30 mkII cartridge.

I see that Jico does make one for about $150 shipped. Then I read in the same ad that the life-span was 150 hrs. That seems awfully low to me. Any opinions?

Interesting! Would make one wonder the hour lifespan of the stylus you have.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

Stick with the Original --------65$   - buy 2  for less money -https://www.lpgear.com/product/ORTSVMS30MK2.html

When I worked for a stereo store in the early 80's we sold this line. I remember having customers that wanted to upgrade (or downgrade) from the cartridge body they had to a higher or lesser stylus. This was how Ortofon kept them from simply swapping them out.

The one in LPGear's ad has a kind-of C-channel or an I-Channel shape to the part that insert into the body. Where mine has a sort-of hour glass shape.

VVMS30 Stylus.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fido said:

I have a Jico stylus on my Dual 1229 in a V15Type III cartridge and it has lasted hundreds of hours so far and sounds just as good as the original Shure Cartridge Stylus.

That's kind of where I was going also for a Shure V15xMR I have (and love). I was really fortunate in the early 2000's to take Shure up on an offer where you could buy a replacement stylus (in this case a VN35HE) for a replacement for $20 EACH!! But you had to send them back your worn or broken one (I talked them into two of them since I had two V15V cartridges :) ). THEN the price of beryllium for the cantilevers went through the roof and for a short time they went to boron.

logo_250blk.png?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1
Search

No products in the cart.

logo_250blk.png?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

High quality, refined, crafted and precision-made by
professionals that developed superlative stylus

title_01.jpg?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1
CANTILEVERS
SASB.jpg?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1
Boron, one of the most suitable materials for cantilevers; its density is low, Young’s modulus is large, and the speed of sound propagation is approximately 2.6 times faster than that of aluminum. Due to the characteristics above, boron cantilever can more precisely trace the information contained in the record grooves than aluminum cantilever.
BORON CANTILEVER
SAS/B
SASS.jpg?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1
The reproducibility of the sound engraved on analog records is further enhanced by adopting sapphire for cantilevers since it has high rigidity. Compared to aluminum cantilevers, every single sound will be defined more clearly, allowing the users to enjoy crystal-clear sound. Superior impression that the vocals are extremely clear.
SAPPHIRE CANTILEVER
SAS/S
SASR.jpg?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1
The SAS/R enjoys all the sapphire benefits with one crucial advantage: The four facets of its crystalline ruby cantilever taper toward the diamond tip. This tapered design allows for lower moving mass, providing greater ability reproduce vibrations in the record groove with precision, accuracy, speed, and fidelity. The sound is deeper and has the impression of listening to a live performance
RUBY CANTILEVER
SAS/R
neosas_02.png?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1
SAS Profile Tip

The tip of the Super Analog Stylus is carefully chosen from single-crystal natural diamonds. The laser-cut diamond closely resembles that of the cutting stylus used on a cutting lathe to produce the acetate master disks used in vinyl production. This allows the SAS tip to reach into the deepest recesses of the record groove in order to retrieve details which were previously inaccessible to other stylus profiles. Due to its wide contact area with the groove wall, the SAS can reproduce a more expansive bandwidth of information with higher fidelity.

neosas_08.png?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1
Single Point Tension Wire Suspension

In order to transmit vibrations from the stylus tip to the transducer magnet faithfully, the cantilever is supported by a specially constructed suspension. A single strand of ultra-fine piano wire is attached to the cantilever which then passes through the magnet before being secured internally to the housing. This helps to stabilize the movement of the magnet and reduce distortion from resonance that builds up as oscillations are transmitted through the cantilever, thus preserving the original signal down to the smallest detail.

neosas_09.png?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1
Rare Earth Magnet

To extract the maximum performance from the single point tension wire a specially shaped magnet is mounted coaxially to the cantilever. The magnet is composed of rare earth elements, the magnetic strength and reduced weight of which give it exceptional properties for use in this application.

neosas_20.jpg?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1
Contact Surface Area & Stylus Tip

This chart depicts several types of stylus profiles viewed head on and in cross section. Also seen are the measurements of their tip radii and the surface area in contact with the record groove wall. Profile radii (R) are measured in microns (µ). Surface area in square microns (µ2) is calculated using measurements L1 and L2. Variations in the size and shape of the stylus tip affect the amount of surface area which can be applied to the groove wall. By optimizing its curvature and reducing the minor radius, the SAS tip maximizes the contact surface area by a factor of 1.25 in comparison to other line contact styli.

neosas_12-1.jpg?lossy=0&strip=1&webp=1
Points of Contact with the Record Groove During Reproduction

This chart depicts several types of stylus profiles viewed head on and in cross section. Also seen are the measurements of their tip radii and the surface area in contact with the record groove wall. Profile radii (R) are measured in microns (µ). Surface area in square microns (µ2) is calculated using measurements L1 and L2. Variations in the size and shape of the stylus tip affect the amount of surface area which can be applied to the groove wall. By optimizing its curvature and reducing the minor radius, the SAS tip maximizes the contact surface area by a factor of 1.25 in comparison to other line contact styli.

DSC_0090%E3%81%AE%E3%82%B3%E3%83%92%E3%8
sas201904_banner.jpg?lossy=0&strip=1&web

Faithful Sound Reproduction

To produce the highest possible original sound recording, SAS utilizes a pure diamond tip with high precision finishing within several microns.  The line contact tip profile features a contact area in the shape of narrow belt or “micro ridge”.  Previously it was almost impossible for tips of shape to achieve a radius of such microscopic curvature.  By means of extremely detailed machining, our SAS tip provides the razor-like dimensions  necessary for accurate sound reproduction and clarity.

Elimination of Distortion through wear resistance

By processing the diamond structure to maximize its natural property of resistance to wear, the curvature of the tip radius remains intact allowing it to accurately trace the signal in minute detail.  The true value is in its radius curvature, its ability to reproduce high-frequencies even as it moves toward the inner portions of the record to ensure dynamic range.

High Trackability

Our SAS cantilevers are rigid in comparison to conventional cantilever materials.  Other components used in SAS have significant influence on the performance of the stylus.  As oscillations are transmitted from the tip to the magnet to suspension wire through the cantilever and rubber suspension, the unique combination of technologies built into the system results in superlative tracking ability.

The products listed on this website are for individual customers living outside Japan. Not for sale in Japan nor wholesale or resale.

SITE MAP
ABOUT US
CONTACT
FAQ
HELP
LOGIN
MY ACCOUNT

PRODUCTS
INSIDE OUR STYLI
REVIEWS

COPYRIGHT © 2019 JICO STYLUS | ONLINE SHOPPING FOR JAPANESE PHONOGRAPH NEEDLES ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Read MoreACCEPT

Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are as essential for the working of basic functionalit...
NecessaryAlways Enabled

11 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

I was loosely looking into a replacement stylus for my Ortofon VMS-30 mkII cartridge.

I see that Jico does make one for about $150 shipped. Then I read in the same ad that the life-span was 150 hrs. That seems awfully low to me. Any opinions?