RF5 tweeter amplifier

AVP

Sorry. I am going to run a 4 way active crossover. My RF5’s would be responsible for the hi’s and mid/hi’s. I want to amplify my tweeters with a tube amplifier. The 8” would be a seperate solid state amplifier. My understanding is that this is possible because of the LF/HF option on the back. Thank you for your response. 

3 hours ago, AVP said:

Sorry. I am going to run a 4 way active crossover. My RF5’s would be responsible for the hi’s and mid/hi’s. I want to amplify my tweeters with a tube amplifier. The 8” would be a seperate solid state amplifier. My understanding is that this is possible because of the LF/HF option on the back. Thank you for your response. 

As long as you disconnect the passive inside the speaker that should be possible.  Otherwise your 4-way AXO won't do a darn thing other than add a headache.

To be clear it's not possible because of the HF/LF terminals on the back.  All four terminals may as well be two as they're shipped.  To use them as HF/LF you will need to take the passive crossover on the back of the cup out of the equation. 

As for tube amps, I reckon that will depend largely on what you're mainly using your RF-5's for.  I could make the simple recommendation of one of the Monoprice 50-watt tube amps, which power a pair of RSX-5's beautifully for me, but that might not be the best in your situation if we don't know what it is.

Exactly the info I’m looking for thank you so much! I listen across a broad spectrum of music. I love all types of music. I want something very dynamic and as realistic as possible. I was going down the magnepan rabbit hole until I put the RF5’s on a seperate amplifier. Now I can’t give them up, and I want to tweak them - have some fun. If you have any other recommendations let me know. Thanks!

Unfortunately I'm not a very good reference for tubes since I'm mostly solid state myself.  The monoprice was affordable and the footprint was right for the space I was handling and the speakers I was powering.  The only other brand I'm aware of at a price that I'd call reasonable is Schiit.