Reference Premier HT setup

Aragorn

Hi All,

This is the first time I am purchasing a full fledged home theater.  The room where this would be placed is 20 feet by 14.5 feet with a 7 ft. entrance and 10 ft ceilings.  The HT will be on the 14.5 feet side (shorter side of the room) with the entrance next to it.  Looking for a HT which will be good for both music and movies.

I am currently purchasing the front 3 speakers and plan to add surrounds afterwards.  Have a Denon receiver AVR-760H (75W at 8ohms with 2 ch driven).

For the front speakers I am looking to purchase RP-8000F or RP-6000F (price difference of $200).

For the center channel I am looking at RP-504C or RP-600C (504C is $160 more).

For the Sub either SVS SB-1000 or Speedwoofer (will check if a subwoofer is even needed once I have the front speakers setup).  I suppose R-12SW would be too basic for this

Please advice:

1. For my setup is a RP-6000 sufficient or is the $200 upgrade to RP-800F worth it.

2. For the center channel RP-600C more matches the side speakers (in tweeter and woofer sizes) but 504C has separate woofers which handle different frequencies.  Which would be recommended?

Having 4 woofers might muddy the sound or make more tighter?

3. Is a sub needed for this setup?

Edited by Aragorn
  • Like 1

Hi All,
  This is the first time I am purchasing a full fledged home theater.  The room where this would be placed is 20 feet by 14.5 feet with a 7 ft. entrance and 10 ft ceilings.  The HT will be on the 14.5 feet side (shorter side of the room) with the entrance next to it.  Looking for a HT which will be good for both music and movies.
  I am currently purchasing the front 3 speakers and plan to add surrounds afterwards.  Have a Denon receiver AVR-760H (75W at 8ohms with 2 ch driven).

For the front speakers I am looking to purchase RP-8000F or RP-6000F (price difference of $200).
For the center channel I am looking at RP-504C or RP-600C (504C is 4160 more).
For the Sub either SVS SB-1000 or Speedwoofer (will check if a subwoofer is even needed once I have the front speakers setup).  I suppose R-12SW would be too basic for this

Please advice:
1. For my setup is a RP-6000 sufficient or is the $200 upgrade to RP-800F worth it.
2. For the center channel RP-600C more matches the side speakers (in tweeter and woofer sizes) but 504C has separate woofers which handle different frequencies.  Which would be recommended?

I would say yes to a sub! Get the pb 1000 pro.... Worth the extra money plus svs will give you port plugs for free to turn it into a Sealed sub. For $200 go with the 8000f. I would say the 504c as well. It matches better with the 8000fs. The bigger the center the better. A 3rd 8000f for the center would be a better match

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Yes generally bigger better. Room can handle it. Like sub recc. above yet, wait until you decide missing one Typically, you will want a sub for movies,
as in an HT... Welcome!
Although some here prefer the
6000s...

6000s? Why's that?

7 minutes ago, smallsmx3 said:

6000s? Why's that?

Some prefer and will have to say why.

Likely would prefer the 8000s myself as said.

Do a search of the forum for some information. Vast archives... thanks.

5 hours ago, Aragorn said:

Hi All,

For the center channel I am looking at RP-504C or RP-600C (504C is $160 more).

Please advice:

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Some prefer and will have to say why.

Likely would prefer the 8000s myself as said.

Do a search of the forum for some information. Vast archives... thanks.

Sorry @smallmx3, quoted you instead of OP...

Thanks for the input.  I spoke to Klipsch product support and here is their recommendation:

RP-6000F would work great in the room I have.  I can go with RP-8000F (just a 2 HZ difference in response) if the price is not very different and RP-8000F would not overwhelm the room.  RP8000s are rated for a 30x30 room!

RP-504C for center is better than RP600C as it gives a more wider image and has more woofers to work with.

Thanks for the input.  I spoke to Klipsch product support and here is their recommendation:
RP-6000F would work great in the room I have.  I can go with RP-8000F (just a 2 HZ difference in response) if the price is not very different and RP-8000F would not overwhelm the room.  RP8000s are rated for a 30x30 room!
RP-504C for center is better than RP600C as it gives a more wider image and has more woofers to work with.
I have my 8000fs in a 14x16 room with nothing but amazing sound

I have the RP-8000f and 504c in a 12x13 room. I can say it's plenty with the KSW-15 sub. I am of the "go bigger rather than smaller" group. Think of it like this. You'll never know what was missing if you just go for the top.
And in a couple years they might end up in a bigger room

51 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

RP8000s are rated for a 30x30 room!

This is absolute bunk, and I'm disappointed there's someone in the team that's making up numbers like this.  These speakers aren't "rated" for room sizes - no speaker is, and if it is, it shouldn't be.

1 hour ago, Aragorn said:

Glad they had an opinion so, 8000s...cool.

Hi All,

Thank you for the input!!

I am getting a deal with the following setup:

2 RP-8000F,

1 RP-504C,

2 RP-600M and FREE PL-200II Sub (I don't know this company, but it goes down to 22 HZ)

For $2100!!  I don't think a better deal would come-by even in thanksgiving, correct me if I am wrong.

Seems like a good deal, however my side surrounds would be around 3 feet from the listener, would RP-600M be overwhelming at that distance?

I would have preferred RP-502S for the surrounds.

Wold RP-502S not work for a dolby atmos setup?