Introduction

jubilee333

It is only my opinion but I think you would want something larger than a pair of Heresy speakers for DJ duties. I agree with Marvel, even though La Scala speakers are large and can be awkward to move by yourself without a dolly or hand truck. As a plus, it would be really hard to kick in a La Scala woofer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, billybob said:

Who said anything about it DJ...?

i Just read It , I've started DJing parties this year (under the name Jubilee, just a coincidence!)

JUNE  is  looking to buy speakers for  DJing   ------June is  gonna need  a few big speakers 

7 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

It is only my opinion but I think you would want something larger than a pair of Heresy speakers for DJ duties.

Definitely , just read it ,  more like KP 301-KPT 904-KP 250

11 hours ago, jubilee333 said:

Hi all! I'm June. I've been lurking the forums for a few days now trying to pick up what I can about klipsch and audio equipment in general. I've started DJing parties this year (under the name Jubilee, just a coincidence!) and have realized I've definitely been bit by the audiophile bug within the past few months via reading and hearing about David Mancuso's use of Klipschorns at the Loft in Tim Lawrence's book Love Saves the Day and Love is the Message podcast.

I haven't yet heard Klipsch speakers or anything of their caliber, but I am very eager to, and looking to acquire a pair of my own. It seems like Cornwalls, Fortes and Khorns are the favorites among many, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled and ears open for any of these available in Central Florida, but I already have seen a few CL listings for KG 4.2s and 4.5s. Any thoughts on KGs?

Would also love if anybody could point me to some good beginner resources for learning about high end audio! 

Cheers

As far as reading is concerned, you should do a search of the forum as, large archive on models and subjects.

Thinking that your interest in acquiring KG speakers are a quick way to get your feet wet.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, jubilee333 said:

Hi all! I'm June. I've been lurking the forums for a few days now trying to pick up what I can about klipsch and audio equipment in general. I've started DJing parties this year (under the name Jubilee, just a coincidence!) and have realized I've definitely been bit by the audiophile bug within the past few months via reading and hearing about David Mancuso's use of Klipschorns at the Loft in Tim Lawrence's book Love Saves the Day and Love is the Message podcast.

I haven't yet heard Klipsch speakers or anything of their caliber, but I am very eager to, and looking to acquire a pair of my own. It seems like Cornwalls, Fortes and Khorns are the favorites among many, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled and ears open for any of these available in Central Florida, but I already have seen a few CL listings for KG 4.2s and 4.5s. Any thoughts on KGs?

Would also love if anybody could point me to some good beginner resources for learning about high end audio! 

Cheers

As far as reading is concerned, you should do a search of the forum as, large archive on models and subjects.

Thinking that your interest in acquiring KG speakers are a quick way to get your feet wet.

Thanks!

Oh, read it again private DJing not commercial/business.

Whatever works...

@jubilee333  I'm up in Ohio and I've seen some great prices on La Scala's down there as well as other models of Klipsch.  Forte's would sound great as well as Heresy's but LS if you can transport them would sound better imo.  You mentioned Tampa so you might want to hook up w/a local guy who's also a member of the forum.  He may know where you're working if it's a club or you're wanting to go ala carte on your own he might be able to help you that way.  At least he'd be a good sounding board for ideas & info on stuff he's seen in your area but the decision is yours.  It's your checkbook.  I mean how large a space you're working in or plan to work in should be your first priority imo.   All the guys in here are great so you'll get some good feedback.  Hey@Emile jump in here and give the lady a hand.  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

I'm up in Ohio and I've seen some great prices on La Scala's down there as well as other models of Klipsch.  Forte's would sound great as well as Heresy's but LS if you can transport them would sound better imo. 

For DJ work unless in small places I would want LaScalas, they can be turned down but could also fill a big space. Add a sub that can keep up and it would be amazing. IMO

More work to move but WELL worth it.

EDIT; unless your dj work is an old folks home or just background music. :lol: If it sounds good people tend to want a little more volume and you need to be able to keep up easily without pushing anything to hard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

June,

Welcome to the forum!

• With any used speaker, make sure the tweeters are working!  If the music is treble-shy take a shortened paper towel center roll (or a TP roll, practically any tube) with you and put your ear to one end and hold the other end to the tweeter.
  • If you know you will have help (the services of 2 people or King Kong) I'd recommend going big, if you can find  the money.  In order of choice, number 1 being the best: 1) Jubilees, 2) Klipshorns, 3) La Scalas, (possibly with a subwoofer or two, crossing over at about 60 Hz, preserving La Scala clean attack above 60 Hz, with extended bass down to the lower limit of the sub).  There are three varieties of La Scala: La Scala, La Scala II, La Scala AL5, the most recent, the best 4)Belle Klipsch (used only) slightly shorter midrange horn, but close to La Scala otherwise.
  • Or, host your own parties, if you have the room.  Then, no Kong.
  • A good number of people here will disagree with this, but use the bass control on your preamp.  Much of the newer music D.J.s use has had the midrange boosted, and the bass attenuated in fighting the pointless Loudness Wars.  The "suits" sometimes require this of the engineers, a morale killer.  They can cut the disk louder if they cut the bass.  Idiotic.  Turn up the bass slowly for each selection, optimizing it by ear.  You may want to set any subwoofers 3 dB to 6 dB (or more) hot.  See Chris A's many posts on this forum on demastering badly mastered recordings, perhaps starting with The Missing Octave.
  • Klipsch was the right place to come.  1,000 watts into a typical speaker (90 dB at 2.83v ~~ 1 watt into 8 Ohms ~~ at 1 Meter), would produce peaks of 113 dB out in a big room (if the speaker could take it -- as PWK used too say, "Better have a fire extinguisher ready).  For those same 113 dB peaks, it would only take about 64 watts into a Jub, a Khorn, a La Scala, or a Belle.

Best of luck!  I know you will have fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RandyH said:

keep an eye on the ALERTS section of the Klipsch forum for  Deals on Craigslist and Facebook's Marketplace 

Alerts!

Want to alert forum members to sales you are not affiliated with on eBay, Craigslist, etc? Post in here.

11 hours ago, mungkiman said:

It is only my opinion but I think you would want something larger than a pair of Heresy speakers for DJ duties. I agree with Marvel, even though La Scala speakers are large and can be awkward to move by yourself without a dolly or hand truck. As a plus, it would be really hard to kick in a La Scala woofer.

11 hours ago, billybob said:

Thanks!

Oh, read it again private DJing not commercial/business.

Whatever works...

7 hours ago, dtel said:

For DJ work unless in small places I would want LaScalas, they can be turned down but could also fill a big space. Add a sub that can keep up and it would be amazing. IMO

More work to move but WELL worth it.

EDIT; unless your dj work is an old folks home or just background music. :lol: If it sounds good people tend to want a little more volume and you need to be able to keep up easily without pushing anything to hard.

4 hours ago, garyrc said:

June,

Welcome to the forum!

• With any used speaker, make sure the tweeters are working!  If the music is treble-shy take a shortened paper towel center roll (or a TP roll, practically any tube) with you and put your ear to one end and hold the other end to the tweeter.
  • If you know you will have help (the services of 2 people or King Kong) I'd recommend going big, if you can find  the money.  In order of choice, number 1 being the best: 1) Jubilees, 2) Klipshorns, 3) La Scalas, (possibly with a subwoofer or two, crossing over at about 60 Hz, preserving La Scala clean attack above 60 Hz, with extended bass down to the lower limit of the sub).  There are three varieties of La Scala: La Scala, La Scala II, La Scala AL5, the most recent, the best 4)Belle Klipsch (used only) slightly shorter midrange horn, but close to La Scala otherwise.
  • Or, host your own parties, if you have the room.  Then, no Kong.
  • A good number of people here will disagree with this, but use the bass control on your preamp.  Much of the newer music D.J.s use has had the midrange boosted, and the bass attenuated in fighting the pointless Loudness Wars.  The "suits" sometimes require this of the engineers, a morale killer.  They can cut the disk louder if they cut the bass.  Idiotic.  Turn up the bass slowly for each selection, optimizing it by ear.  You may want to set any subwoofers 3 dB to 6 dB (or more) hot.  See Chris A's many posts on this forum on demastering badly mastered recordings, perhaps starting with The Missing Octave.
  • Klipsch was the right place to come.  1,000 watts into a typical speaker (90 dB at 2.83v ~~ 1 watt into 8 Ohms ~~ at 1 Meter), would produce peaks of 113 dB out in a big room (if the speaker could take it -- as PWK used too say, "Better have a fire extinguisher ready).  For those same 113 dB peaks, it would only take about 64 watts into a Jub, a Khorn, a La Scala, or a Belle.

Best of luck!  I know you will have fun.

Thank you all for the advice and the warm welcome in general! Yes, right now I am just playing private parties in my home, in a fairly small space, maybe 20x20.

Gary, I will definitely be studying and returning to your response! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Patience is a virtue.  Few months ago I saw a beautiful pair of LS in Bonita cheap.  They were downsizing to a condo from a house.  Almost had a friend pick them up for me and bring them back this spring.  They're out there!

Almost, yes.  It seems LaScalas are the heritage red headed step children at times.  A lot of us have stories where we passed up great deals on them for one reason or another.  Mine?  There were 2 pairs listed near me for $800.  That's right, $400 per pair, $800 total.  Of course I had nowhere to put them.  No room whatsoever, and had to pass them up, knowing I would never forget.