Introduction

jubilee333

@jubilee333@Dave1291mentioned your inquiry to me.  I am pretty close to you and can possibly help. (At least I can keep my eyes open for "your" speakers.)

Have Heresies, Cornwall's, CF3's and Pro KPT-904's at home. Couple of questions ... for DJ'ng, what type of music do you play, how loud and even more important, what size/weight speakers can you handle.  Some here have mentioned Pro speakers and I quite agree (just not easy to transport "large" pro speakers). Also note that JBL makes great pro horn speakers also - and they can often be found locally at pretty good prices; haha, cheaper than Heresies. (JBL usually is found in "rat-fur" cabinets.)

Next, what will you power them with? Pro speakers will (usually) need pro amps to get the best out of them. Heresies, etc can be driven with low wattage amps.Also, planning on "plug and play" speakers or do you want to use dsp (digital signal processing)?

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Emile said:

@jubilee333@Dave1291mentioned your inquiry to me.  I am pretty close to you and can possibly help. (At least I can keep my eyes open for "your" speakers.)

Have Heresies, Cornwall's, CF3's and Pro KPT-904's at home. Couple of questions ... for DJ'ng, what type of music do you play, how loud and even more important, what size/weight speakers can you handle.  Some here have mentioned Pro speakers and I quite agree (just not easy to transport "large" pro speakers). Also note that JBL makes great pro horn speakers also - and they can often be found locally at pretty good prices; haha, cheaper than Heresies. (JBL usually is found in "rat-fur" cabinets.)

Next, what will you power them with? Pro speakers will (usually) need pro amps to get the best out of them. Heresies, etc can be driven with low wattage amps.Also, planning on "plug and play" speakers or do you want to use dsp (digital signal processing)?

Cheers, Emile

Hi Emile! Thank you so much for your response.

First off, I play a pretty wide range of dance music, the core being deep house, garage, and disco, but here and there mixing in sounds ranging through jungle, footwork, dub, hip hop, funk, r&b, gospel, and beyond.

I know this won't be the most accurate, but a quick test using the android "sound meter" app put my sound at around 75-80dB for where I would play it at a party. I should also clarify that I'm just doing private parties in my home at this time, and I'm not sure I would need pro speakers. I currently have 4 polk T15s and am quite satisfied with the volume but am desiring the higher quality and greater warmth and body that I've heard about Klipsch attaining. I will also say that I LOVE the look of Klipsch speakers and these would be preferable as a piece of furniture to something like the JBLs you've shown.

As far as size and weight, I think in the La Scala - Klipschorn range is what I'm looking for!

Finally, I have to say I am probably completely out of my depth on the amplifier question. Would love to hear your thoughts going forward on the relative advantages of each type.

Thanks again,

June

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jubilee333 said:

play a pretty wide range of dance music, the core being deep house, garage, and disco, but here and there mixing in sounds ranging through jungle, footwork, dub, hip hop, funk, r&b, gospel, and beyond

Haha; never even heard of deep house, garage, jungle, footwork and dib. Seriously dislike hip hop / funk.

OK; you play music at 75-80dB - i.e. louder than an alarm clock and less than a vacuum cleaner. (I play mine at about 100dB.)  In your range any Klipsch speaker will deliver even with a low, low wattage amp. And yes; Klipsch speakers look much better than rat-fur JBL's :)  (Just wanted to check your intended purpose.)

The Polk T15 speakers you have just are not good enough for DJ'ng or music "listening." Background music only or on a desk. They just do not have enough range (nor sensitivity) to deliver the goods.

To me, it sounds like you are after the Klipsch "HORN" sound.  Suggest you go to Best Buy to check out "that sound," as not everyone likes it - it is more "direct." (And ONLY listen to the speakers; NOT to the sales person as he/she will try to sell you something else.) After that it comes down to how much you want to spend :) 

So; $500-$700 should get you a set of used Heresy 1's plus a vintage amp and it will be "fine," meaning MUCH better than your Polk speakers. (or, you could even do KG4's, KG4.2's or KG4.5's.)

$700-$1000 will get you a set of used Forte 1's with a used amp ... a bit better. Most people on this forum love Forte's but I am not one of them :( 

$800-$1400 gives you CF3/4's, but now you will need a "better" amp.

$1000-$2000 will give you LaScalas, but you will have to add a subwoofer - meaning 2 amplifiers, or 1 for the speakers and 1 build into the sub.

$1000-$3000 will give you pro Klipsch speakers, but you will need a serious amp and :( they only come with black textured paint :( Haha; not wanted for your living room.

Therefore (especially at your sound level), I suggest you start with a pair of Heresies. If not sufficient, you can easily resell them and move up to the "next level."

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jubilee333 said:

completely out of my depth on the amplifier question

Amps come in 2 different versions - tubes vs SS (solid state). Think we can forget about tube amps for you :) 

Usually best to match the speaker (watts) rating with the amp output - but even a 30W amp on a 100W speaker is OK. Do not overpower the speakers as you will FRY them :( Newer amps are usually rated at their published watts level; vintage amps normally have a higher actual watts level than their published rating.

Most residential Klipsch speakers can be powered with amps 20-100W. Pro speakers are usually 300W and up. They require pro amps of 300W and up. More power usually gives you a tighter bass response and faster (tighter) high/low transients.

Speaker boxes are usually 2 or 3-way, meaning they have internal electronics (i.e crossovers) to split the incoming signal to 2 (or 3) internal speakers (bass/mid/high) which require different frequency ranges. A 2-way speaker may have a low frequency range from 20-800Hz and a high range of 800-20kHz. Good hi-fi speakers, such as Klipsch, have balanced the box dimensions/ports with the characteristics of the low/mid/high speakers and corresponding crossovers.

Hope this helps :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Emile said:

Haha; never even heard of deep house, garage, jungle, footwork and dib. Seriously dislike hip hop / funk.

OK; you play music at 75-80dB - i.e. louder than an alarm clock and less than a vacuum cleaner. (I play mine at about 100dB.)  In your range any Klipsch speaker will deliver even with a low, low wattage amp. And yes; Klipsch speakers look much better than rat-fur JBL's :)  (Just wanted to check your intended purpose.)

The Polk T15 speakers you have just are not good enough for DJ'ng or music "listening." Background music only or on a desk. They just do not have enough range (nor sensitivity) to deliver the goods.

To me, it sounds like you are after the Klipsch "HORN" sound.  Suggest you go to Best Buy to check out "that sound," as not everyone likes it - it is more "direct." (And ONLY listen to the speakers; NOT to the sales person as he/she will try to sell you something else.) After that it comes down to how much you want to spend :) 

So; $500-$700 should get you a set of used Heresy 1's plus a vintage amp and it will be "fine," meaning MUCH better than your Polk speakers. (or, you could even do KG4's, KG4.2's or KG4.5's.)

$700-$1000 will get you a set of used Forte 1's with a used amp ... a bit better. Most people on this forum love Forte's but I am not one of them :( 

$800-$1400 gives you CF3/4's, but now you will need a "better" amp.

$1000-$2000 will give you LaScalas, but you will have to add a subwoofer - meaning 2 amplifiers, or 1 for the speakers and 1 build into the sub.

$1000-$3000 will give you pro Klipsch speakers, but you will need a serious amp and :( they only come with black textured paint :( Haha; not wanted for your living room.

Therefore (especially at your sound level), I suggest you start with a pair of Heresies. If not sufficient, you can easily resell them and move up to the "next level."

Cheers, Emile

Haha, I guess you will want to steer clear of my parties, then 😅

Is the KG line much less preferable than Heresies? I know patience is a virtue, but it's tempting to jump at what I already see available! 

Wondering what's behind your difference in opinion on Forte's?

Lastly, would you mind offering some explanation on why LaScalas would require a second amp? Or about how much a sub with an amp might run? I must admit I am a bit of a basshead so would think I'd be considering a sub anyway.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jubilee333 said:

The Fortes are Heresies plus bass, put very simple. Much more can be written about each speaker...

Did You take a look at the specs of the Heresy and the Forte, for example?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

The KGs  will have more bass, the Heresies will have more finesse and detail. For what You want, the KGs are better suited, IMO.

11 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

The Fortes are Heresies plus bass, put very simple. Much more can be written about each speaker...

Did You take a look at the specs of the Heresy and the Forte, for example?

Thank you for the rudimentary explanation! this will give me a bit of a frame of reference to begin to properly understand the specs... I have been a bit intimidated but I know I will have to dive in and find my way about sooner or later.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jubilee333 said:

Is the KG line much less preferable than Heresies? I know patience is a virtue, but it's tempting to jump at what I already see available! 

@jubilee333Re above ...

KG's are very good, but more an introductory speaker than Heresies. As per @AndreG."The KGs  will have more bass, the Heresies will have more finesse and detail. For what You want, the KGs are better suited, IMO." They are less refined but probably better suited for your purpose - and less expensive :) I started with new Cornwalls about 30 years ago and have added KG's, etc etc. My KG4.2's were really great. PM me a link to the ones you found and I'll give you my opinion. For in home DJ parties they may be your best option :) 

And, you are welcome to check out my speakers. But ... only have Heresies and much LARGER speakers ... really cannot give you a comparison :( And if you take me up on my offer DO NOT bring any hip hop :) 

Cheers, Emile

Re my opinion on the Forte's ... had a set and tried to combine them with (pro) K-510/K691 horns. Never got it to work ... the Forte's were just anemic in that combination.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jubilee333 said:

Lastly, would you mind offering some explanation on why LaScalas would require a second amp? Or about how much a sub with an amp might run? I must admit I am a bit of a basshead so would think I'd be considering a sub anyway.

LaScalas require an amp for themselves. They just do not have much bass, so most people add a subwoofer. Subwoofers require a lot of power to drive - say 1000W for a 15 inch sub. Most subs do have build-in amps (that's the "second" amp I referred to). Many can be found on the internet for less than $500. (And, suggest you stay away from Klipsch subs - they are NOT very reliable with inferior chinese amps :( )

• Thanks 1

This started out at 700. Pretty positive that the 300 dollars is the same one in this package deal.

Good enough to sprinkle your feet and, after audition, your room size and listening level, may be well suited for a decent starter plug and play.

Don't forget guys the Tractrix type horn, should rock sweet and blow the Polks...:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/d/riverview-vintage-kenwood-and-klipsch/7392202242.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1