Introduction

jubilee333

25 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Lawd have mercy...  Whoda thunk disco balls???  Wait, where did I put my platform shoes...  😂

@MicroMaraHey George better get caught up in this thread you wanna be DJ!  She needs a mentor!  One big happy family in here right?     😂  😂

Here I´m Dave ....beeing busi ....

smilie_musik_096.gifsmilie_musik_096.gif

A femal DJ is called " DJane" and YESSIRE ! I was a DJ and a very famouse one in Germany . I made the dancefloor a dance cauldron, people were freaking out, dancing till they dropped. Yeah was a great time .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

Here I´m Dave ....beeing busi ....

smilie_musik_096.gifsmilie_musik_096.gif

A femal DJ is called " DJane" and YESSIRE ! I was a DJ and a very famouse one in Germany . I made the dancefloor a dance cauldron, people were freaking out, dancing till they dropped. Yeah was a great time .

DJune more like it!

dance cauldron haha, sounds legendary! i'm just getting started but i have no doubt i'm in it for the long haul, feels like right where i need to be.

• Like 4

Spose I could make a new thread, but may as well ask you guys first. What's a good technical explanation for what exactly something like the "Loudness" control on this KR5600 does? I can hear the difference between turning on loudness and increasing the volume, but can't very well describe it at this point.

Edited by jubilee333
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jubilee333 said:

Spose I could make a new thread, but may as well ask you guys first. What's a good technical explanation for what exactly something like the "Loudness" control on this KR5600 does? I can hear the difference between turning on loudness and increasing the volume, but can't very well describe it at this point.

Loudness or also hearing correct volume correction is intended to compensate for the loss of low frequencies when listening quietly in the activated state. Loudness lifts the treble and bass on what is noticeable at low volume. it sounds fuller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

Loudness or also hearing correct volume correction is intended to compensate for the loss of low frequencies when listening quietly in the activated state. Loudness lifts the treble and bass on what is noticeable at low volume. it sounds fuller.

Interesting, that makes sense. Thanks!

• Like 2

It sounds like your loudness compensation is continuously variable, which is my favorite kind, because you can adjust to taste.

As a starting point, IIRC, it is recommended that you first turn the volume control to as loud as you would ever have your music, and then a bit, then turn the loudness control down to a comfortable volume, and use the loudness control (only) from then on.  As you turn down the loudness control, it adds bass and treble as it gets softer, so soft playback won't sound "thin" or "tinny."  This is a little more needed in the bass than in the treble.  Did you get a manual with your receiver?  You can check the technique of setting the loudness control in there, in case I don't remember correctly.

If you were to use a fixed loudness control on some other receiver (some just have a switch for loudness on or off) the graph below shows what the ISO (International Organization for Standardization -- yes, I know the initials are in the wrong order, quirky, right?) thinks the amount of compensation should be at different Sound Pressure Levels (in dB).                                              Equal-loudness contour - Wikipedia

The term "Volume" is a hangover from the old days of radio and PA; for bigger rooms (i.e., of greater volume), you would turn up the "volume" control.

The term "Loudness" refers to a perceptual phenomenon that varies with many things.  For instance, if some music is played on a high distortion device, like one of those horrible hand held transistor radios of the '50s and '60s, it will sound louder than its SPL (see below) indicates, because the distortion, including many discordant sidebands that were not in the original music, fool the brain into thinking it is of very high SPL, and people will yell, turn it down!!!!

"Sound Pressure Level" (SPL) is the hopefully more objective one.  With a good SPL meter set for "Z" weighting (no weighting at all) and "fast" readings, meaningful results are produced when measuring music SPL.  "C" weighting is close; some people would say, "but no cigar."  "A" weighting conforms to human hearing, i.e., the bass, and some of the treble, is rolled off.  It is used in industry, partly because few machines have much deep bass.  For music, any measurement technique that largely ignores the bass, I find annoying.Z C A Frequency Weightings

Industrial Noise Control -- Occupational Health & Safety

Just out of curiosity, how many watts power output is your receiver?  Do they label that as "continuous" or "RMS" or what?

• Thanks 2

Thinkin on a Kenwood it will just trip and shut down if it's waaaay excessive.  Guy was ready to take one into the shop for repair so he brought it over.  Plugged it in and it worked perfecctly.  That was just a "bass boost" novelty they put on to help sell them.  Could be wrong though.  His had reset when it cooled down.  

Think that's how it worked.  :)  You're sounding right @garyrc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes pretty solid receiver and clean enough or else rec . pass on it. Supposed to have been gone through by a pro. Play with boost both low volume and high. Tell us your impressions...Nice.

Play mine with off most.

Oh and likely to have a decent phono section...

13 hours ago, billybob said:

Yes pretty solid receiver and clean enough or else rec . pass on it. Supposed to have been gone through by a pro. Play with boost both low volume and high. Tell us your impressions...Nice.

Play mine with off most.

Oh and likely to have a decent phono section...

Was there supposed to be something beneath of what You wrote? Because I see a big empty space...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, garyrc said:

It sounds like your loudness compensation is continuously variable, which is my favorite kind, because you can adjust to taste.

As a starting point, IIRC, it is recommended that you first turn the volume control to as loud as you would ever have your music, and then a bit, then turn the loudness control down to a comfortable volume, and use the loudness control (only) from then on.  As you turn down the loudness control, it adds bass and treble as it gets softer, so soft playback won't sound "thin" or "tinny."  This is a little more needed in the bass than in the treble.  Did you get a manual with your receiver?  You can check the technique of setting the loudness control in there, in case I don't remember correctly.

If you were to use a fixed loudness control on some other receiver (some just have a switch for loudness on or off) the graph below shows what the ISO (International Organization for Standardization -- yes, I know the initials are in the wrong order, quirky, right?) thinks the amount of compensation should be at different Sound Pressure Levels (in dB).                                              Equal-loudness contour - Wikipedia

The term "Volume" is a hangover from the old days of radio and PA; for bigger rooms (i.e., of greater volume), you would turn up the "volume" control.

The term "Loudness" refers to a perceptual phenomenon that varies with many things.  For instance, if some music is played on a high distortion device, like one of those horrible hand held transistor radios of the '50s and '60s, it will sound louder than its SPL (see below) indicates, because the distortion, including many discordant sidebands that were not in the original music, fool the brain into thinking it is of very high SPL, and people will yell, turn it down!!!!

"Sound Pressure Level" (SPL) is the hopefully more objective one.  With a good SPL meter set for "Z" weighting (no weighting at all) and "fast" readings, meaningful results are produced when measuring music SPL.  "C" weighting is close; some people would say, "but no cigar."  "A" weighting conforms to human hearing, i.e., the bass, and some of the treble, is rolled off.  It is used in industry, partly because few machines have much deep bass.  For music, any measurement technique that largely ignores the bass, I find annoying.Z C A Frequency Weightings

Industrial Noise Control -- Occupational Health & Safety

Just out of curiosity, how many watts power output is your receiver?  Do they label that as "continuous" or "RMS" or what?

I might have misled, this one is actually fixed. Power is 40W per channel RMS.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Was there supposed to be something beneath of what You wrote? Because I see a big empty space...

He was thinking!  :)

Model KR-8050 is the model receiver he had w/the reset problem.  Said he was drunk one night and turned it UP and it shut down.  Thought he blew it up.  hahaha  I fixed it though.  Plugged it in and hit the go button.  I'm so smart!  😂

He was ready to take it an hour away and spend $80 just to bench it.  hahaha

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2021 at 11:32 PM, jubilee333 said:

DJune more like it!

dance cauldron haha, sounds legendary! i'm just getting started but i have no doubt i'm in it for the long haul, feels like right where i need to be.

So @jubilee333      Dear  Djune...you´ll get some Disco Classics you´ll need for every Party , without chronological order

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1