Anyone know where I can audition a pair of Klipsch La Scala AL5's and Khorn AK6's in Australia before deciding which one to purchase?

NNW33

Anyone know where I can audition a pair of Klipsch La Scala AL5's  and Khorn AK6's in Australia before deciding which one to purchase?

Hi I’m new to the forum. I have had for some time now an interest in Klipsch, but I have never owned any. Time has now come that I would like to purchase either a pair of Klipsch La Scala AL5's or Khorn KA6's (not sure at this stage which). I have the space.  I live in Australia, specifically in New South Wales. 

I have purchased site unseen before, but I am a lot older and a bit wiser now and won’t purchase without hearing speakers again. That said, I was fortunate that the site unseen (unheard) purchase turned out well, but that was just luck rather than good planning. 

The retailers I have contacted in NSW and Victoria, don’t have a pair of these speakers for auditioning. Although, the retailer in NSW was very keen in selling a pair to me, which was nice, but without auditioning a pair and working out which I wanted, I’m not prepared to spend 20-30k on a whim.

So, if anyone out there knows where I can have a listen to these speakers Klipsch La Scala AL5 and Khorn KA6 at a retailer in OZ, I would be much obliged. Of course, the retailer I audition the Klipsch La Scala AL5’s and Khorn KA6's at, will be the retailer that I will purchase from, provided the speakers move me. As I said, I am not sure whether it will be the AL5's or the KA6's, thus I will need to listen to both. 

Borders are opening up soon in Oz, so a trip to the US may be an alternative sometime next year, but would prefer to purchase locally in OZ if possible. 

Thanks for taking the time reading my first post. 

Best wishes

NNW33

Thanks for your replies. Yes I tried the Google Klipsch dealership website for Australia, that's where I got the contact details for the NSW and Victorian dealers.

Westcoastdrums, yeah prices here in Australia are inflated (big time). AL5 retail for 25K and AK6 retail for $35K.  Importing  a pair of AL5's for say a purchase price of 8k US will cost me 20k AUS landed with 30% plus increase due to OZ dollar, transport costs, plus taxes and customs duties. Which is the price I dare say I would get a new pair for, from a local Australian retailer with say a 20% discount or so. 

I'll check out Crites as well. I hadn't turned my mind to building a pair, it might be a bit of an adventure, which might be interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Thanks

Regards

NNW33

• Like 2

The first question we should ask is how big is your room (width). That will help you decide if the AL5 or khorn will work better for you.

As a side note, I am truly sorry for what you and your countrymen are going through with your government right now. It’s really heartbreaking.

Shakey

I am in Brisbane 

However my La Scala speakers are a DIY build, so may not display the same sound signature

The build is more akin to an F1 racing car and exceed all specs by a country mile 

As a rule of thumb 

The La Scalas can be positioned in a room liberally 

The K Horns need room corners - so must be positioned thus 

As for arranging a listen 

I follow Klipsch Australia on Facebook 

So why don’t you send them a PM and ask what dealer has stock of the La Scala or K Horn 

• Thanks 1

CWiw should always be considered a contender... but it's a different. it will play lower, but its ability to do so is limited to direct radiating characteristic sound. Generally more boomy.

once you hear a proper horn loaded bass bin, generally nothing else will do

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Schu said:

CWiw should always be considered a contender... but it's a different. it will play lower, but its ability to do so is limited to direct radiating characteristic sound. Generally more boomy.

once you hear a proper horn loaded bass bin, generally nothing else will do

What he said…

I’ll look to audition all three models before making a decision. In my experience it is critical that one auditions the speaker and the amplifier together, preferably in ones own listening environment. But not always possible. But at the very least an audition of the speaker with a comparable amp is the minimum before spending this type of dough.   

Thanks for sharing, I very much appreciate it. 

Regards 

‘’NNW33

2 hours ago, NNW33 said:

For completeness I should ask, should the Cornwall IV also be a contender?

Thanks.

The Cornwall IV has a very good midrange driver , and horn , a modern crossover- definitely  not to be  underestimated ,  

Also a further question is which speaker (AK6, AL5 & Corn IV) will sound outstanding at lower levels.
I note that I would like to use my speakers for live performances and with various genres of music, but also listening at low levels, which is what I listen to most of the time.

Regards
NNW33

54 minutes ago, NNW33 said:

Also a further question is which speaker (AK6, AL5 & Corn IV) will sound outstanding at lower levels.
I note that I would like to use my speakers for live performances and with various genres of music, but also listening at low levels, which is what I listen to most of the time.

Regards
NNW33

Horn speakers are very sensitive so you won’t find issues with low / quiet listening - In-fact they excel at it  

They also do live extremely well 

However they reproduce bass faithfully but not good at very low Htz reproduction 

If you play a lot of heavy metal they may need assistance with the addition of an active sub ( depends on your perception) 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:49 PM, Full Range said:

However they reproduce bass faithfully but not good at very low Htz reproduction 

If you play a lot of heavy metal they may need assistance with the addition of an active sub

horns DO INDEED produce very low reproduction with superior quality... direct radiating is the harbinger of distortion... GAK

9 hours ago, Schu said:

horns DO INDEED produce very low reproduction with superior quality... direct radiating is the harbinger of distortion... GAK

I personally prefer faithful reproduction of bass that works in unison with the mid and high range 

The thump thump thump is not to my taste