Amp suggestions for Khorn AK6, La Scala AL5 & Cornwall IV?

NNW33

Hi All,

Considering the AK6, AL5 and now also the Cornwall IV as speakers for my home. But what amp should I use? I listen to a wide genre of music, from metal to country, to pop, to classical and also opera. So what amp sounds better with these speakers, for example should I stick with something like:

1. Pass Labs xa30.8;

2. Woo Audio 300b WA5 speaker version (8 watts);

3. Conrad Johnson s350;

4. Willsenton R8,

or go for something like a Decware SET amp? Maybe UFO2? 

I’ve heard amps 1 to 3 above, but with different speakers. 

I’m cognisant that some amps sound better for rock (Pass Labs xa30.8) than say vocals (Woo WA5-300b). So is it better to use different amps for different music? So far my view is yes. 

Should I consider different amps with the aforementioned Klipsch speakers?

If so, which ones and why?

I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks for taking the time reading this post.

NNW33

Edited by NNW33

I think only you are going to be able to answer that... certainly nearly any competent single ended Tube amp will sound wonderful with the La Scala or Klipschorn. you pick the topology and the financial level.

• Like 1

Thanks Maximus89, I hadn’t considered vintage class A amps. I appreciate your suggestion.

Regards 

NNW33
For sure. I sold my Khorns + Dean's AA crossover to try the CF-4. I love my CF-4 v.1 and they sound killer with my new to me Accuphase set up but damn I miss the Khorns and I cant stop thinking about them with a Class A Accuphase amp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 6:24 PM, Maximus89 said:

Get an affordable late 80s to 90s era Class A amp from Accuphase directly from Japan. You can rewire them at the bottom for US 120v by color coded wires. Very easy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Interesting, any model suggestions ?

6 minutes ago, Bubo said:

Interesting, any model suggestions ?

The P-102(1987) was the model i was looking at, same design as my P360(1991) that i decided to go with because i wanted more power to get my CF-4 drivers moving. Pictures don't do it justice. That wood paneling, and the champagne colors with the light hitting on it scream top quality and tank build on the inside. Built to last. There was an older model that you could switch Class A on and off. As you hit 90s model Class A amps, they are all listed on their website under product museum, Class A's are A-*** models. I think the mono A-100 was the first monster, 100watt mono. A-20(1995), A20V(2000) pop up affordable in the 2k range. A-30 and A-35 as well. The 50 or 60 or bigger monos still fetch a pretty penny.  Accuphase mark up in the States and Europe is ridiculous i must say. Really depends on your price range and how comfortable you feel spending on an older amp that are truly built to last, but hard to service if you do have an issue.

56 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

The P-102(1987) was the model i was looking at, same design as my P360(1991) that i decided to go with because i wanted more power to get my CF-4 drivers moving. Pictures don't do it justice. That wood paneling, and the champagne colors with the light hitting on it scream top quality and tank build on the inside. Built to last. There was an older model that you could switch Class A on and off. As you hit 90s model Class A amps, they are all listed on their website under product museum, Class A's are A-*** models. I think the mono A-100 was the first monster, 100watt mono. A-20(1995), A20V(2000) pop up affordable in the 2k range. A-30 and A-35 as well. The 50 or 60 or bigger monos still fetch a pretty penny.  Accuphase mark up in the States and Europe is ridiculous i must say. Really depends on your price range and how comfortable you feel spending on an older amp that are truly built to last, but hard to service if you do have an issue.

For some reason I equate Accuphase to McIntosh

Even the older units aren't cheap.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...