Jump to content

Klipschorn ID and what to do with it


Sturgee
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just came in to possession of this Klipschorn and hope the forum could help me find out more about it's history.  I can see 14 March 1949 in pencil on the wooden part of the inductor so I believe this might be one of the earlier Klipschorn made.  The components are as followed:

 

Western Electric 713A

K5 horn

Jessen PLA-15

Crossover - Wood core inductors and other parts

 

Any suggestion of what to do with this speaker? The components appear to be in good shape but I have not test, measure or do anything else with the speaker except open the side to take picture of the woofer. 

 

Thank you for your reply.

 

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2312.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sturgee said:

Any suggestion of what to do with this speaker?

Welcome to the Forum 

 

I believe that the best thing you  can do is to donate the speaker to the klipsch Museum of Audio History on the basis of a Tax Deduction -

the importance  of this speaker is Historical rather than Monetary as the care is done by Volunteers who also give a contribution   -

 

this would allow to give this  very old khorn speaker , the needed  repairs to preserve the PWK Heritage  -

 

this speaker definitely requires urgent  repairs and cleaning    ,  ASAP , so extreme care must be taken during manipulation , not to worsen the condition of the speaker - ( delamination of the wood in several areas /mold and corrosion  )  -

 

Regards -

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

the best thing you  can do is to donate the speaker to the klipsch Museum of Audio History on the basis of a Tax Deduction -

the importance  of this speaker is Historical rather than Monetary as the care is done by Volunteers who also give a contribution  -

Couldn't have said it better 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is clearly one of the oldest survivors.  Any additional info on the faded labels would be very helpful.  In those days at least several, if not many, Khorns were sold using  customer-supplied drivers.  The horn shows deformation, which was one of PWK's first quality issues to be dealt with.  

 

The woofer cabinet geometry on the front vertical edges is interesting to say the least.  It could indicate that this unit was updated in 1949, as units 14 thru 20 (1947-1948) were built at a local cabinet shop, allegedly each being a little different from the other.  We have #18, and it's edges look "modern", so its conceivable this could be in the 14-17 range.  At the same time, there were many home-builts that might have made it to the factory for repairs or updating.

 

I suspect the Museum could find a "corner" for it!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off, I would like to thank everyone for responding to my post.  

 

I got this speaker by trading my landscaping and cleanup work to a friend.  When I first saw the speaker, I did not know what kind of speaker it was.  All I know at the time from my quick search was that the compression driver worth some money.  My original thought was to take the components and sell them on eBay to get my money back.  After doing some more research I found that it was a Klipsch speaker and might have some value behind it and so the reason I reach out to the forum.  

 

Sorry that my statement of "what to do with it?" is misleading.  I meant to ask if I should have someone fix it before selling it or selling the components separately.  My financial circumstance cannot afford me to donate this speaker or afford to own it for my own use.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sturgee said:

  My financial circumstance cannot afford me to donate this speaker or afford to own it for my own use.

 

 the Museum would offer you  a Tax Deduction ,  for you or your Business ,  at  market value , the Term "  Donation "  does entail a  compensation, no one would ask you to gift the Speaker to the Museum -

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 4:36 PM, Sturgee said:

I just came in to possession of this Klipschorn and hope the forum could help me find out more about it's history.  I can see 14 March 1949 in pencil on the wooden part of the inductor so I believe this might be one of the earlier Klipschorn made.  The components are as followed:

 

Western Electric 713A

K5 horn

Jessen PLA-15

Crossover - Wood core inductors and other parts

 

Any suggestion of what to do with this speaker? The components appear to be in good shape but I have not test, measure or do anything else with the speaker except open the side to take picture of the woofer. 

 

Thank you for your reply.

 

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2312.JPG

 

(Foto: Producent)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...