ANY FOOTBALL COACHES OUT THERE?

BigStewMan

Question for you.  On kickoffs, why does the receiving line run backwards towards the ball carrier and then turn around and engage the defense as opposed to staying downfield, engaging them there thus giving the ball carrier more room to run before encountering resistance?

9 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Question for you.  On kickoffs, why does the receiving line run backwards towards the ball carrier and then turn around and engage the defense as opposed to staying downfield, engaging them there thus giving the ball carrier more room to run before encountering resistance?

They are scared.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Foxman said:

The form the wall based on the call of the ST coaches on what they hope to do on the return.

but why not form the wall downfield and let your return guy run an extra 10 or 20 yards before encountering those trying to stop him?  I suspect teams would regularly have better field position than letting their return guy get nailed at the 10 yard line. 

Seems to me that the return team is surrendering ground needlessly. 

16 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

but why not form the wall downfield and let your return guy run an extra 10 or 20 yards before encountering those trying to stop him?  I suspect teams would regularly have better field position than letting their return guy get nailed at the 10 yard line. 

Seems to me that the return team is surrendering ground needlessly. 

Football is largely a game of chess mixed with deception. By allowing the lineman to retreat and set-up for whatever the call was, they are in a better position to execute their plan. 

• Like 1