Have you gone from a direct radiating sub to a horn loaded one?

wuzzzer

Yes I have.   The horn subs were definitely "faster" in transient response and also had VIOLENT, commanding air movement by comparison at lower listening levels. If you have the room for horns subs, they are Def. The way to go. I ended up keeping the direct radiators for their compact size, price point and flexibility in placement.   Makes them easier to integrate for me.  The direct radiators can dig deeper in much smaller cabinets also. A good horn sub is HUGE that has extension.   If I had a, much larger room, I wouldn't even think twice, I would only go horn subs.   

• Like 4

I recommend four; you could always sell any you feel are overkill (Right, like worrying about sealing the bag of chips so they don’t go stale, like that’s ever gonna happen).

My experience is unique, but may be useful.  At the suggestion of a thread started by Carl @CECAA850, I found my way to a thread on the AVS forum about the Anarchy Exodus tapped horn (TH) sub, which is flat to 25hz.  TH subs are not true horn subs, IMO, they’re a hybrid between direct radiator and horn. Due to the 6.5” woofer, compared to full horn subs with larger woofers, they require relatively little space.

I built five (my younger son has #5) eventually.  In the cluttered photo below there are four subs.  They’re in the corners next to and behind the HIPs.

Adding extra subs does not lower the extension, but it does raise the SPL.  Also, multiple subs provide location options enabling you to address room peculiarities.  

The addition of the first sub was a dramatic improvement.  Adding the second sub resulted in an improvement, but less dramatic than the first, and so on.  There is definitely a diminishing return factor.  If high decibel output is a regular thing, then more subs would be required.

A4751B20-D2E1-4EA5-AAA8-3C892909EE70.thumb.jpeg.56e3ca4ad7a70a2cec193dda6fc8c989.jpeg

FEFA2A61-F3CE-49CA-84D6-0F7F0EA9FD0E.thumb.jpeg.534d90884e13ed77fe01e9aa1f3d98ae.jpeg

The above photo is, IIRC, an Anarchy Exodus TH under construction in Carl’s garage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I recommend four; you could always sell any you feel are overkill (Right, like worrying about sealing the bag of chips so they don’t go stale, like that’s ever gonna happen).

My experience is unique, but may be useful.  At the suggestion of a thread started by Carl @CECAA850, I found my way to a thread on the AVS forum about the Anarchy Exodus tapped horn (TH) sub, which is flat to 25hz.  TH subs are not true horn subs, IMO, they’re a hybrid between direct radiator and horn. Due to the 6.5” woofer, compared to full horn subs with larger woofers, they require relatively little space.

I built five (my younger son has #5) eventually.  In the cluttered photo below there are four subs.  They’re in the corners next to and behind the HIPs.

Adding extra subs does not lower the extension, but it does raise the SPL.  Also, multiple subs provide location options enabling you to address room peculiarities.  

The addition of the first sub was a dramatic improvement.  Adding the second sub resulted in an improvement, but less dramatic than the first, and so on.  There is definitely a diminishing return factor.  If high decibel output is a regular thing, then more subs would be required.

A4751B20-D2E1-4EA5-AAA8-3C892909EE70.thumb.jpeg.56e3ca4ad7a70a2cec193dda6fc8c989.jpeg

FEFA2A61-F3CE-49CA-84D6-0F7F0EA9FD0E.thumb.jpeg.534d90884e13ed77fe01e9aa1f3d98ae.jpeg

The above photo is, IIRC, an Anarchy Exodus TH under construction in Carl’s garage.

You need a bigger screen to match the sound You can produce! 😉

28 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

You need a bigger screen to match the sound You can produce! 😉

The sound is for 2 channel only.  The TV sound comes from the DIY Fostex 103 bass reflex speakers without subs, two of which are sitting on two of the TH subs.  I’m not into movie explosions.

The screen shown has been replaced by a larger screen, but there’s only so much available space.  A bigger screen holds no appeal to me.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 4:33 PM, wuzzzer said:

If so, post your impressions between the two.

I'm picking up dual THTs Saturday.

Congrats on your purchase. They'll be an eye-opener for sure. Impressions? Apples and Oranges. Check out the videos below. First one is a good quality 12" sealed servo sub...the second a THT. I filmed both with the same mic and camera. The sealed sub does the job at low volume and in very tight quarters. The THT has nearly unlimited SPL, and can shred the drywall at war volume of the room it's placed in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I'm renting a U-Haul enclosed trailer to pick up the subs, at least I hope I am.  I made an online reservation for a 4x8 trailer Monday to be picked up this Saturday.  Received an email stating that someone from U-Haul would call me by 6pm last night to confirm the rental details.  Didn't get any call.  So, since I was driving by the auto shop today that's also the U-Haul place in town, I decided to stop in because an email I received also said that they needed to inspect my vehicle and towing setup prior to the rental.  The guy there said "nah, we don't do anything like that."  Ok?  Then he said "I don't have any trailers and I'm not sure if we'll be getting any in by Saturday.

When I measured the cargo area in the back of my Jeep a single THT will fit fine and about 95% of the second one will fit.  I have a friend with an open trailer that I could possibly borrow but it's an old trailer and I'd rather have the enclosed U-Haul.

🙄

9 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

So I'm renting a U-Haul enclosed trailer to pick up the subs, at least I hope I am.  I made an online reservation for a 4x8 trailer Monday to be picked up this Saturday.  Received an email stating that someone from U-Haul would call me by 6pm last night to confirm the rental details.  Didn't get any call.  So, since I was driving by the auto shop today that's also the U-Haul place in town, I decided to stop in because an email I received also said that they needed to inspect my vehicle and towing setup prior to the rental.  The guy there said "nah, we don't do anything like that."  Ok?  Then he said "I don't have any trailers and I'm not sure if we'll be getting any in by Saturday.

When I measured the cargo area in the back of my Jeep a single THT will fit fine and about 95% of the second one will fit.  I have a friend with an open trailer that I could possibly borrow but it's an old trailer and I'd rather have the enclosed U-Haul.

🙄

See if you can rent your basic white van from U-haul. $19.95 a day + miles, they say.  You could get all 4 in that, if desired.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Shiva said:

See if you can rent your basic white van from U-haul. $19.95 a day + miles, they say.  You could get all 4 in that, if desired.

That's the thing, the trailer is around $25.  I'm going to be driving around 300 miles and any U-Haul truck or van is over 50 cents a mile so the cost goes up to almost $200 then.

• Like 1