Have you gone from a direct radiating sub to a horn loaded one?

wuzzzer

The cool thing about the THTLP is that if you stand it upright and put it in a corner the footprint is only 15X18 and isn't quite so 'elephant in the room'.

Well, it is actually......but I keep telling myself it looks just fine because hey, when you have bass this kick ***.....

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

So where can I get me a pair in California of THTs for $1000? 🤔.   I already have a Crown k2 sitting around collecting dust.  

So, the question is, what is comparable that one can more easily find in the wild?  

• Like 2

From my limited design knowledge

Horn length = lower frequencies

To get into the subwoofer range 20-300 Hz

requires a horn length of what ? 8 feet ?

Then the question of which geometry for which type of space and application.

In addition to lots of carpentry,

the multi-fold horns likely have their own set of trade offs. And substantial engineering challenges to minimize reflections, absorption and deflection and it's own set of resonant distortion. Not sure if these are correct speaker parameter terms.

If I ever score a Barn and refirb it to my dream living space, Horn loaded theater subs are definitely on the table. Maybe a decommissioned Church or theater would work too.

I had an acquaintance who purchased a decommissioned 9 room school house in the country 35 years ago, complete with a gymnasium. Got it for next to nothing like $50K. Took the Office for his apartment, used several of the classrooms as workshops and had one for his motorcycles.

Fred was an aircraft Mechanic and very handy with repairing any kind of machinery.

One motorcycle project, he used an aircraft supercharger on a Honda, 3 or 4 cylinder, motorcycle that he spent months beefing up so it could take the boost.

Asked about it's performance, Fred said that he needed a couple of stiff drinks before enabling the supercharger. Probably moved the bike from 4-1 weight to HP, down to 2-3 ratio. You can barely control 4-1 when you roll the throttle back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I must say, I am still fascinated reading about IB set-ups, though I have not heard one as of yet.  Some years ago, I did listen to a sub with a 24" driver from Deep Sea sound at an audio show.  I was fairly impressed. It wasn't even loud in the room and my pants were flapping. 👍  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I must say, I am still fascinated reading about IB set-ups, though I have not heard one as of yet.  Some years ago, I did listen to a sub with a 24" driver from Deep Sea sound at an audio show.  I was fairly impressed. It wasn't even loud in the room and my pants were flapping. 👍  

1950s War of the Worlds on theater horns is fantastic.

There are 2 competing restorations on the market.

340bcb4938aff8d6b23710883ccd66ab.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I must say, I am still fascinated reading about IB set-ups, though I have not heard one as of yet. 

Cult of the Infinitely Baffled Not very active any more, but still lots of good information there.

Lots of cone area can be substituted for horn loading; even PWK admitted that. He also pointed-out that many problems come along with that solution. But for the very limited bandwidth of a subwoofer, it may be viable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubo said:

From my limited design knowledge

Horn length = lower frequencies

To get into the subwoofer range 20-300 Hz

requires a horn length of what ? 8 feet?

I believe with the size THT I have the horn length is approximately 13 feet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SWL said:

The cool thing about the THTLP is that if you stand it upright and put it in a corner the footprint is only 15X18 and isn't quite so 'elephant in the room'.

Well, it is actually......but I keep telling myself it looks just fine because hey, when you have bass this kick ***.....

Haha, elephant in the room is right!  I have mine 19" from the wall behind them so they stick out almost 5 feet into the room!  😅

• Like 1

Haha, elephant in the room is right!  I have mine 19" from the wall behind them so they stick out almost 5 feet into the room!  [emoji28]
Ahh.....but you hardly notice em, right?[emoji39]

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SWL said:

Ahh.....but you hardly notice em, right?emoji39.png

My wife came home from being gone all weekend and I had her come down to the basement to show her.  She just shook her head and said "Why??"  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3