Have you gone from a direct radiating sub to a horn loaded one?

wuzzzer

On 10/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, Shiva said:

I must say, I am still fascinated reading about IB set-ups, though I have not heard one as of yet.  Some years ago, I did listen to a sub with a 24" driver from Deep Sea sound at an audio show.  I was fairly impressed. It wasn't even loud in the room and my pants were flapping. 👍  

Net time you're in TX..............

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 12:18 AM, wuzzzer said:

I'm fortunate to have a basement theater room that's decent size.

The seller has four that he's selling.  Two or four... Two or four...😁

Two for front and rear mid wall placement is second best. Four for mid wall placement is best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 7:34 PM, wuzzzer said:

Been experimenting with different crossover points.  I'm really liking 120Hz for music.  These THTs work incredibly well with kick drums and bass guitar.  Just crazy output.

They work fairly well to 200 Hz. With the rising response of the cabinet and great sound it's easy to get carried away crossing them over too high. 

Glad you like them.

3 hours ago, charok said:

i added a 30" wide THT to my kpt-904/k510 setup and first fired up tonight. Have not yet begun optimization but the output is impressive and makes my old 15" sub anemic, all in a good way of course!

Awesome!  I've only level matched my subs as far as output.  Eventually I'll get a miniDSP and all that jazz.

I have the sub output as low as it goes on my receiver (-10dB) and the gain about 2/3 of the way up on my amp so I definitely have a bit of headroom to play with!

I use a DBX Venu360 on the mains and the sub feed but it is set to the old sub until I get time to play with the RTA. Using the old sub plate amp to get an idea of how much power I actually need and TBH does not seem to need a lot. Going to be fun dialing it in but so far I love it. The wife however is not happy with the size of it.

59 minutes ago, charok said:

I use a DBX Venu360 on the mains and the sub feed but it is set to the old sub until I get time to play with the RTA. Using the old sub plate amp to get an idea of how much power I actually need and TBH does not seem to need a lot. Going to be fun dialing it in but so far I love it. The wife however is not happy with the size of it.

Yeah it's not an easy sub to hide.  😅  Try two of them in a 20 x 12 room!

I believe I read that they have a sensitivity of about 110dB so they definitely don't need much power.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

How far along are you in the process?  Is this your first build?

I'm about 1/3 of the way through. Today I hope to affix panel 5 (of 10) and cut the speaker baffle.

It is my first speaker build. I've found the build instructions to be excellent. Even though I'm just an average woodworker, I'm optimistic that I'll be successful with the project.

The adhesive only cures above 19 degrees F so that I'm in a race to see if I can finish the build (in my unheated garage) before the cold weather really sets in.

I've actually ordered the parts for 2 THTLPs, but building the second one will have to wait for spring when the weather warms up.

Will the results be worth the effort?

1 hour ago, Tarheel TJ said:

I run a THT with my setup.  You are right, the output and depth is very impressive.  I have considered building a second one, but they are huge.  I could fit one, but it would take up space that I'm not sure I want to give up.  Maybe when the kids are grown....

Stack'em.

• Like 2