Psvane 6SN7-UK

rmlowz

I have not tried them, but the price is crazy. The best 6SN7/GT made in my opinion is a USA NOS (any brand). 

I have a few Chinese (generic) and Russian (Sovtek) 6SN7GT's and they are OK, nothing special. I have compared (listened & measured) NOS RCA 6SN7GT's that are used with many hours on them to the Chinese and Sovtek tube mentioned previously. The used RCA tubes have a lot of hours on them, probably close to 6k or 7k hours. The tubes have so many hours on them, there are chrome looking spots above the cathode filament "tubes" on the top glass.

Compared to the Chinese and Sovtek's, the RCA's sounds just as good, maybe better. 

Thanks for your reply yes the price is crazy for sure I was wondering if was worth the money. I just got some GE 6SN7GTB NOS coin bases they sound really nice. Although I have heard that coin bases are not as good as the regular version.

Rich

I know some of the newer tubes may look better (compared to USA NOS), like the Psvane shoulder 6SN7, but the shoulder or look of the tube has nothing to do with the sonics.

This particular tube on Amazon says the shoulder version is made for HiFi and is warm (and fuzzy, just kidding, but is does say warmer because of the shoulder design). The metallurgy and design of the USA NOS is (or was) better than the new Chinese tubes in my opinion. 

PSVane 6SN7 Shoulder.jpg

1 hour ago, rmlowz said:

Thanks for your reply yes the price is crazy for sure I was wondering if was worth the money. I just got some GE 6SN7GTB NOS coin bases they sound really nice. Although I have heard that coin bases are not as good as the regular version.

Rich

The coin base is not as attractive or Art Deco as a "GT", but they should "behave" the same. I use the word "behave" because of the way some people describe the way they sound. I don't believe that a vacuum or slightly different metal choices (cathode, filament, plate) can change the sound of a tube, but I don't want to take anything away from someone's music. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmlowz said:

Thanks for the great information, I am going to try some others just dont know which ones yet. My Mapletree preamp takes 12SN7 or 6SN7. I like the 6SN7 tube in the pre better than the 12SN7 ?

Rich

6SN's and 12SN's are the same except for filament voltage. Again, there may be sonic differences, but I can't hear them. 

7 hours ago, rmlowz said:

Rich

Don't listen to them the coin base are perfectly fine. The base makes no difference. I tried those when I first got into tubes because they were a bargain.. Buy them at a discount while you can...

2 hours ago, Les Lammers said:

There are excellent 6SN7's coming from China. Unless you have heard them your opinion has no merit.

Yes, I have heard some of them, not all. However, in my opinion, new USA or European NOS small signal tubes are better than anything the Chinese are making today. The Chinese have definitely added "glamor" to some.