Marantz SA5007 receiver

mopardave

Bought a used Marantz surround receiver and have some questions.  I have not set it up yet, but how do you set the tone controls?  I have it plugged in and in stand by mode and it gets very warm, is this normal?     I will be moving soon and dont want to set it up til i get to the new home.

• Like 1

I own a SR6008. Here the tone controls are hidden inside the audio menue, but Audyssey must be activated for them to be accessible, if i remember correctly. And no, mine does not get noticably warm in standby... Maybe a dust related problem? I´d do a rudimentary set-up and see if everything works, maybe clean it inside.

• Like 1

Remote coming into the functions also can make setup easier.

That sounds like could be a problem with the heat like that.

Would look inside the vents with light or just unplug and pop cover. Animal like cat dig lying on top of units like that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Yes, I will be careful.   Thanks for the info guys.     Looks like they want it connected to tv and pc for set up.

Not saying that it will correct your heat situation but, you may find yourself doing a reset to default factory settings if helps.

Yes, manual is good...cool.

• Like 1

I measured the temp when i got home. It is 103* in standby mode.   Seems a bit too warm in this mode i would think, but maybe normal thou?   The insides look to be free of any dust, its very clean.     Going turn it on and see how hot it gets after an hour.

• Like 1

I'm a Pioneer  A/V receiver guy,   When my receiver is off, its stone cold.  Something seems amiss if yours is that hot when powered off. You could look at the manual and see power draw in standby mode.  It probably says .05 watts or something similar.    

• Like 2

What is M-DAX and pure direct?    The M-DAX was on, i turned it off and now the temps in standby are 98*  .  I hate how you dont get a manual with your new gear any more.  I will be glad to get it to the new home and set up, but that is a few weeks away.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 9:38 AM, Shiva said:

I'm a Pioneer  A/V receiver guy,   When my receiver is off, its stone cold.  Something seems amiss if yours is that hot when powered off. You could look at the manual and see power draw in standby mode.  It probably says .05 watts or something similar.    

.2 watts in standby and 2.7 watts in network stand by.  It is said in the manual that if HDMI pass thru is turned on, to keep the unit unplugged when not using.  Not sure what HDMI pass thru is or if it should be turned on or off.    Looks like this thing is going to be a large learning curve for sure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mopardave said:

.2 watts in standby and 2.7 watts in network stand by.  It is said in the manual that if HDMI pass thru is turned on, to keep the unit unplugged when not using.  Not sure what HDMI pass thru is or if it should be turned on or off.    Looks like this thing is going to be a large learning curve for sure.

HDMI pass thru means that a signal, from your DVD for example, will go to your TV, even if the receiver is turned off. This only works if both, TV and DVD player are hooked up to the receiver. But with my receiver, it only works if it is in stand by.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here’s an update on the hot receiver issue.  I found that Marantz and Demon receivers have the biggest issue with heat. Yamaha and pioneer are said not to have these issues.   What I did was factory reset the receiver.  Problem solved. Receiver now cool in standby mode.